GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
86 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Legendary Organized Play Kit #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
The first Organized Play Kit for Legendary is coming.

5 Foil Rare Thor cards
25 Foil Alternate Art 'Unleash the Power of the Cosmic Cube' Scheme Cards
Plexi Loki Mastermind Card
Playmat

Sold trough our international network of distributors to stores.

This will be the first of three kits released in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!

Already informed my FLGS. They are huge on OP events and maintain quite a large inventory of everything Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, can you confirm the playmat size? Is it 14x24 or 14x28?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
32"x14" Same size as Legendary Encounter: Firefly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that art. It's so nice. I like the generic slots on the side of the mat, too.

With only 3 kits released this year, unless you're supporting upcoming expansions, I'm guessing there will be promos for each of the Masterminds except Dr. Doom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow interesting the the OP kit is going to be the way to get a playmat. With the huge amount of demand for a mat or board that actually supports that game, I'd say that is kind of crappy. Promos are one thing, but the actual mat?

Wonder how much these kits cost and how much effort it would take to get a store to just order the kit for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three kits coming? That is awesome man. Any word on the cost? Will they all have the alternate cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Wow, that art. It's so nice. I like the generic slots on the side of the mat, too.

With only 3 kits released this year, unless you're supporting upcoming expansions, I'm guessing there will be promos for each of the Masterminds except Dr. Doom?

Each Kit will highlight either the Core or an expansion.

Dan8765309 wrote:
Wow interesting the the OP kit is going to be the way to get a playmat. With the huge amount of demand for a mat or board that actually supports that game, I'd say that is kind of crappy. Promos are one thing, but the actual mat?

Wonder how much these kits cost and how much effort it would take to get a store to just order the kit for me.

This doesn’t remove the chance of a retail playmat coming in the future.

BuddhaRock wrote:
Three kits coming? That is awesome man. Any word on the cost? Will they all have the alternate cards?

They are priced at $20 for stores. Every Kit has what is shown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it, but how will I know when a store in my area gets one? I look through the events calendar of my FLGS, but not the calendar of every games and comics store within an hour's drive.

Would it be possible for you (with the consent of the buyer) to record the mailing address you ship the kit to and publish it online? That may I can look for addresses in my state and then contact them to see if/when they are planning to run an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Scroggin
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm unfamiliar with the concept of an OP kit. Can someone explain what it means by foil or plexi cards? Is it literally just 5 or 25 copies of an existing card, but with different artwork? Excited for the playmat though. Or potentially 3 playmats to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
I love it, but how will I know when a store in my area gets one? I look through the events calendar of my FLGS, but not the calendar of every games and comics store within an hour's drive.

Would it be possible for you (with the consent of the buyer) to record the mailing address you ship the kit to and publish it online? That may I can look for addresses in my state and then contact them to see if/when they are planning to run an event.

Some stores wait until a customer asks before they purchase these. Giving one a visit and letting them know you are interested wouldn’t hurt.

XEA48 wrote:
I guess I'm unfamiliar with the concept of an OP kit. Can someone explain what it means by foil or plexi cards? Is it literally just 5 or 25 copies of an existing card, but with different artwork? Excited for the playmat though. Or potentially 3 playmats to choose from.

The Kit is designed for a store to run an event. That could be a tournament or game night. The card counts are exactly what is posted; 25 Scheme cards, 5 Thor cards, 1 Plexi Mastermind, and 1 Playmat. Usually these are used as prizing or raffles.

Every kit is exactly the same. The other two kits will be released later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XEA48 wrote:

The kits are for stores to use in hosting organized play events. Each kit will come with the contents listed (so, yeah, 25 and 5 copies of alternate versions of existing cards will be included in this case). Sometimes the kits come with directions or suggestions on distributing the items, but it is usually somewhat up to the store how they want to distribute things. A store might do a tournament and everyone who participates gets one of the 25 foil scheme cards, everyone who makes it to the final game gets one of the Thor cards, and the ultimate first and second place finishers get the mastermind and playmat. Or they might have a regular customer they know plays the game come in to teach the game to new people and everyone who learns gets a card of some type and the person teaching gets the playmat. Things like that. It's to generate interest in the game.

Foil cards are shiny with foil on them and acetate cards are made out of acetate. In both cases, it is more for showing off than replacing something in play, though you certainly can play with them.

Edit: ninja'd by the pro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:
Dan8765309 wrote:

An even better, more customer-oriented answer would be "The playmat will also be available in retail."

People have been BEGGING for an updated and/or re-opened run for a playmat for years now. angry

**edit: of course, with all the Marvel Universe art options out there it would've been nicer to see something more inclusive than the MCU Avenger's line-up in there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Would I be allowed to run a tournament and say that the top 4 players get a foil Thor rare and 6 identical scheme cards?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eon Chao
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mark UD wrote:

The Kit is designed for a store to run an event. That could be a tournament or game night. The card counts are exactly what is posted; 25 Scheme cards, 5 Thor cards, 1 Plexi Mastermind, and 1 Playmat. Usually these are used as prizing or raffles.

Every kit is exactly the same. The other two kits will be released later this year.

Is there a recommended Tournament format for the event or is it just a case of hosting a games day and letting people just play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Dobmeyer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:

They are priced at $20 for stores. Every Kit has what is shown.

So that means stores have to pay $20, right? Our cost would obviously be higher then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Eonchao wrote:
Mark UD wrote:

Is there a recommended Tournament format for the event or is it just a case of hosting a games day and letting people just play?

Each kit is designed around a Scheme and Mastermind, but stores are able to run what ever setup/format they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark UD OP wrote:

Not to be sarcastic ... but "the future"! Maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other note ... where did the KO pile go to on the new mat? Just using one of the blank spaces on the left now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't on the Villains mat, either. It worked out for the best as I'd rather have a bigger space to the side to sort things out as they're KO'd and make tear down easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is there a reason why these cannot just be bought?... Would love to get myself a playmat and some special cards. And with a full-time job, limited time, not everyone can go to their FLGS every week for events for events. I'd rather shed $30 and buy it straight up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan8765309 wrote:

i wouldn't say crappy, but it is disappointing.

i'm hoping that part of the reason the playkits exist is to gauge interest in an additional playmat. i would imagine that it would be hard to gauge interest in people buying a playmat when the cores come with one

i would certainly buy one, of course, but am i'm not exactly a casual player of legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, waitasec...

Since I run OP here every month, can you just send me a kit or two?! Come on Mark, what do you say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Hey, waitasec...

Since I run OP here every month, can you just send me a kit or two?! Come on Mark, what do you say?

I run a weekly game at my FLGS. I would also like a kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Part of the point of these, I think, is that your game store knows about it and starts to run these itself, thus increasing the circulation of bodies around one's product. I wouldn't be surprised if this were a loss leader---it costing more to develop, manufacture, and distribute than it's sold for.

Playmats of this size alone run $20 MSRP, and that's the one I remember which didn't even add new art or have any organized "concept" behind it and its companions, as these organized play kits have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.