Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter K. Hubig
Germany
bei Aschaffenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, what do you guys think? Aren't those bustlike miniatures disturbing the atmosphere of the game?
The game itself really picks up what I always wanted to play and in a different form found in ICEs "Fellowship of the Ring".
That sucked from a totally failed graphic approach (besides the horrible rules/rulebook)but "Hunt for the Ring" seems like doing a mistake on it's own:
The design of the miniatures/playing pieces. Was Frodo pursued by a "coned" upper half of sword-swinging ghost or weren't it fearful black riders: terrible wraiths on dreaded horses?
Has Gandalf been a cut-in-half Ian McKellen or was he the "Grey Wanderer" which to me implies he had at least two legs.

Hopefully the designers read this and all your comments and may change the miniatures design before release of the game.

Like to read your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pkh1 wrote:
Hey, what do you guys think? Aren't those bustlike miniatures disturbing the atmosphere of the game?
The game itself really picks up what I always wanted to play and in a different form found in ICEs "Fellowship of the Ring".
That sucked from a totally failed graphic approach (besides the horrible rules/rulebook)but "Hunt for the Ring" seems like doing a mistake on it's own:
The design of the miniatures/playing pieces. Was Frodo pursued by a "coned" upper half of sword-swinging ghost or weren't it fearful black riders: terrible wraiths on dreaded horses?
Has Gandalf been a cut-in-half Ian McKellen or was he the "Grey Wanderer" which to me implies he had at least two legs.

Hopefully the designers read this and all your comments and may change the miniatures design before release of the game.

Like to read your comments!

I sort of know what you mean. But really, I don't mind. I guess the pieces can be a bit larger this way without falling over or taking up huge amounts of space on the board. Which is fine in my book. Also, some painting which basically makes the base less pronounced compared to the bust might do wonders.

So I really don't see this as a problem, let alone a deal-breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shrug, I don't mind. And just to let you know where I am coming from, I don't think ICE's FOTR had a "totally failed graphic approach".

I am not saying components don't matter when it comes to theme, but to me they're a tiny part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they make a nice change to most games, you get more detail as without having to create a very large piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the playing pieces. I found them very striking, and they're what drew me in, initially, to find out more about the game. They give it a unique look, a more interesting aesthetic than a game with "just more miniatures" - by being half-pawns and half-minis, they show a wonderful marriage between art and functionality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just use my WotR minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the same...I'm not a big fan. They seem "cartoony" and not fitting with the art on the box.

I would be willing to overlook that if the game play is good, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they are concept or prototype models, but the actual final ones, so if you are not happy with the design probably there are some excellent mounted Nazgul from Games Workshop you could substitute, not to mention Frodo and Gandalf.

My reaction to the first photos of the game pieces was "well, that's an interesting and original approach" and I've pretty much been there ever since.

I didn't much like the Frodo and Sam mini for the Fellowship in WotR at first, but then it grew on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
I don't think they are concept or prototype models, but the actual final ones, so if you are not happy with the design probably there are some excellent mounted Nazgul from Games Workshop you could substitute, not to mention Frodo and Gandalf.

My reaction to the first photos of the game pieces was "well, that's an interesting and original approach" and I've pretty much been there ever since.

I didn't much like the Frodo and Sam mini for the Fellowship in WotR at first, but then it grew on me.

This. It's interesting and different, and I've got enough LotR figures I can sub in if they don't end up working for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter K. Hubig
Germany
bei Aschaffenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I'm absolutly in the minorityblush
Don't get me wrong: I'm eagerly awaiting this game and as somebody mentiones above, the miniatures will not be a dealbreaker in any way.

Was just thinking about more flavourish ones; I see from the few pics that they perfectly fit the circles on the board so there is the aspect of functionality very strong.

Games Workshops minis are fine and I have plenty of them but I think especially the Black Riders bases are too big.

At least it's too early to tell if and especially how to substitute the minis; hopefully we get the game on the table THIS year!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also prefer complete miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't like them, too. It will not stop me from buying this game, however. I just want to play a serious set of LOTR games in a chain: Battle of the Five Armies, Hunt for the Ring and War of the Ring, so I would like the design to be more in-the-wotr-line. But if others really do like it then my voice of minority shouldn't be taken into account since I can still reuse some of the WOTR figures instead (unless Frodo and Sam have to be split - then there's a problem - Bilbo from BOTFA will not do it alone, maybe with Dain's help...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them.. just a bit different than anything I've seen and also seem to suit the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. V.
msg tools
mbmbmb
While I personally don't see a problem in using busts, their bases could've been shorter and in different colours like in Relic or Sky Traders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Johnson
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
I just want to play a serious set of LOTR games in a chain: Battle of the Five Armies, Hunt for the Ring and War of the Ring

You left out step 2, Middle Earth Quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the miniatures. They look very elegant and I hope they keep them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jack
United Kingdom
Donaghadee
County Down
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="jens_hoppe"]Shrug, I don't mind. And just to let you know where I am coming from, I don't think ICE's FOTR had a "totally failed graphic approach".

I actually really like ICE's FOTR and have three copies. For 1983 that was great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I had three immediate thoughts after reading the description and looking at the few pictures here on the 'geek.
1) I love hidden movement.. this sounds neat!
2) Hidden movement through the randomness of cards!?!?!? WTF?
3) OH GOD THOSE MINIS... I hope they aren't the final design... At least give them clear bases..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they look awful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with OP. These miniatures simply don't look good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
Busts are ok. I prefer mniatures but busts work. But I agree with you. This chapter should be sacry and dark. The map in particular is beautifull, but doesn't work! It should be night! It should be eerie!

Make it a scary experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malefacus wrote:
This chapter should be sacry and dark.

I agree.
And I repeat, more than I view the miniatures, less it likes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It almost seems as though they deliberately chose the least attractive game pieces they could come up with for this game. Perhaps their thought was to be so distinctive in piece presentation that the "style" would set the game apart from other Middle-Earth titles.

I prefer to distinguish games by how, and how well, they play, not what they look like (though I do like games with evocative graphics). I hope this one plays well, but good reports and reviews are the only things that would persuade me to buy a copy; in my eyes, it's just too homely to commend itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party, but I just wanted to add that I think they look great, but I wish that they were the same color as the standees. I don't paint minis, but I'd consider painting these because they'd look much better if they were solid-coloured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.