Subject: gaming on sofas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
User x
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Hi,
I am preparing apartment for living and i am thinking how to set up living room, which can also be used as gaming room.
My idea so far is to have enlarged coffee tale and sofas on both side of it (on one side 3-seat sofa and other side 2 single-seat sofa).
But i am not sure if such set up would be comfortable. So if anyone have similar experiance, i would be glad if you would share it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem I see with gaming on sofas/coffee table vs. at a dining room style table would be distance from the table. People will constantly have to lunge forward to reach anything on the coffee table. Not a huge deal I guess, but some would consider it a drawback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have a set up a bit like this in my gaming room. In general it's not too bad. Most of the time people just sit forward to play games. But if they do need or want to sit back then they aren't particularly out of the action.

The one thing I would say is make sure the table has a secondary surface underneath to put boxes or drinks so that you have plenty of space on top
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play on my coffee table, it works but it's pretty hard on the back. I'm currently trying to find room in my apartment for a dining table looks like I'll have to custom make it but it will be much better for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen modern coffee table designs where the table top has hinged arms that lift straight up, so you can customize the height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a tiny apartment and make gaming on our sofa (without a table! or with my child's low table!) or our floor work -- but it's not ideal. Our kitchen table isn't ideal either (it came with the apartment), as it has a shelf underneath, so you can't put your legs under it. Grr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
The biggest problem I see with gaming on sofas/coffee table vs. at a dining room style table would be distance from the table. People will constantly have to lunge forward to reach anything on the coffee table. Not a huge deal I guess, but some would consider it a drawback.

That means I will not play games with components on sofas. Spyfall and other social games are fine, but even a card game is too much for my poor body.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play on a sofa and coffee table. Generally, we put two pillows behind our backs so we are closer to the table and not hunched over.

I would say a table is generally more comfortable if you can make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even when not leaning forward, the height is usually wrong. I haven't yet found a way to make sofa gaming work, even though I try a lot because inevitably there are too many people at a game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming room is an absolute improvised mess of thrift store pickups that probably costed me about $70. We have a dining room table, a couch on one of the long ends, some computer chairs on the other ends. It's not pretty but you know what? It's comfy. The one thing I will say about the couch though, they are low to the ground for a dining room table. We have an abundance of tall people, myself included, who love the couch, but when some of my friends sit there, they have to reach for stuff pretty hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally go for a decent table if you can get hold of one. Way better. Small coffee tables works for smaller games.

But Coffee tables are also good for if you are playing bigger games. Let´s say you are playing games which uses like a Campaign Map or something. Place your Map and Counters/Territories on Coffee table and then you play the bigger games on your bigger table.
Quite a few Wargames out there where this is a good solution. And makes it easier to manage/play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We often game on the coffee table. I'd say we evenly split our time sitting on the couch and sitting on the floor. Definitely not ideal, but we want to play games, so we use what we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pete (recoils in horror)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get a dining table and chairs, it is preferable as it is more comfortable and it is more convenient while playing games. Moreover, many coffee tables don't have enough space to play larger board games - but this is obviously down to the individual table and the individual game.

That being said, when my boyfriend and I used to live in a 1 bedroom apartment we played games on our coffee table as we had no other option. It was quite large and square so could accommodate larger games. It should be noted that we were in our early 20s so had no problem sitting on the floor (which we generally found easier than sitting on the couch). Alternatively you can get some 'pouffes' for people to be able to sit at any position around the table (in addition to your couches) that you can pull out when you need to and stuff them in a closet the rest of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sofas are for RPGs (and I play RPGs without miniatures as that's dead weight). I have played board games on sofas, but I really really really really .... really don't like it.

I agree on stuff like Spyfall, taboo or activity working in a sofa environment, but even ONUW is nothing I want to play on a sofa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup its doable:

Even on a slightly larger scale:

Mind you I have built some expanding boards to lay over the coffee table:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1613841/another-custom-tabl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our set up is exactly as you describe - a large coffee table (with a shelf under it for drinks) with a three seater sofa and a two seater sofa. We also have a pouffe and another chair for people to sit on as well. We haven't had any problems with this set up and often host game nights

I'd recommend getting some very small coffee tables too to dot around next to the sofas and chairs for snacks and drinks etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a large coffee table and sofas as my living room. It can be hard on the back after a couple of games.

Most are OK with it, as long as it's not a really long session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Abel
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Re-think the coffee table. We have a 24" square table that is about 30" high. It's like this one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/171943345/square-side-table-bla...

We have a love-seat on one side of it, and several chairs kind of casually around it. If we're gaming, people just pull up chairs and ottomans. Four can play a small footprint game here. We also have small light side tables that we can pull up next to that table for components and drinks.

In the same room we have a 36" round bar height table with four stools tucked under it. Four can do a medium sized game there.

Bigger games are played in the dining room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a coffee table that comes with 4 ottomans that go under it similar to something like this.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Coffee-Sofa-End-Tables...

The ottomans offer storage, a place to sit against the table, and a place to rest your feet when on the couch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
We play at our dining room table or kitchen table when we have guests. However we play on the sofa when it is just our family. Our sofa is somewhat firm so it is easy to lean forward. I would not recommend it if you sink in to your sofa. Also we don't like coffee tables as they take up too much room. Instead we have a somewhat nice, wooden card table with matching folding chairs. The card table folds up and is stored behind our sofa while not in use. The chairs are stored elsewhere but we only get these out on rare occasions when we play with others in that room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoran Bosnjak
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very pleased with Ikea Arkelstorp coffee table

(Black Fleet map board is 56 x 84 cm or 22 x 33")

As long as everybody are close so they can have good overview while sitting on the sofa, thus not leaning whole evening, it should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I solo game on my couch, playing whatever it is on an ottoman that is about the same height as the sitting surface of the couch and I have to say 'oouuuchh!!' Not a fan. It hurts my back, abs, neck and shoulders. I often have to take breaks in the action in order to let those muscles chill out for a bit and my games take a lot longer because of it.

What makes tables preferable is that they are tall enough to allow players get close to the table. Players arms are over the table and can reach some or most things without leaning or reaching all the time. It greatly reduces the hunching, slouching, and generally bad posture that eventually causes all those aches and pains.

In order to get the same effect with a coffee table, you would need to be able to raise it and situate the couches very close to it. Players would also have to sit hovered on the edges of the couches in order to get their legs under it and have the same reach as a table. I'm not sure that would be very comfortable. Also, I suspect a lot of people would be kicking the table on accident going in and out of the sitting area because of how close the coffee table would need to be. At a table a player would normally be able to push back their chair but in this instance that would not be the case.

There might be special coffee tables that can modified quickly to make it easier to use in the manner you are hoping for. Ones that can raise up and provide a seating surface close to the table. Here's a few on Amazon that look promising:

https://www.amazon.com/5-Piece-Cocktail-Adjustable-Storage-O...

https://www.amazon.com/converts-Transforming-outdoor-activit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I game pretty much exclusively on our couch. We pull the coffeee table forward so that we don't have to reach far. Some things on the far side of the table can be a bit of a stretch but the couch is firm so we don't have an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's doable, and whether or not it's a hit will vary on the actual people involved with their preferences.

For some games, it really helps if you stand up every now and then. Either because the game is long enough to warrant a stretch (and some quickie calisthenics), to get a "bigger picture" view, or see stuff that's on the other side of the table. Only question is, can lurching forward actually be worse than standing up (akin to the paradox where standing still for a long time is "worse" than walking around that same entire time)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.