Subject: Solo variant replay value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien T
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Im interested in that game but I was wondering about the replay value for solo plays. The price of the game is high (understandable with counters, wooden token, blocks...) so it is important for me to have a lot of hours of gaming meeple
My intention would be to play at least 75% solo.
I read a couple of threads about the solo variant, it seem very interesting however most scenarios seem to be for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, same. I worry that one small scenario isn't worth the shell-out. Looks like a cool name, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Frederick
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had same concerns about solo-suitability. But I ordered it in hopes of playing it solo. Did you read this BGG post:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1403236/solitare-play-d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it looks cool! But still unclear if this is going to feel like, well, playing the same scenario over and over. Also, it's a big difference if this scenario takes 30 minutes (which would be bad) or 5 hours (which would indicate meatiness). Just needs a few reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
Yeah, it looks cool! But still unclear if this is going to feel like, well, playing the same scenario over and over. Also, it's a big difference if this scenario takes 30 minutes (which would be bad) or 5 hours (which would indicate meatiness). Just needs a few reviews.

The designer's summaries on Inside GMT made it look pretty interesting. Given that the playtime for the game is listed at 180 minutes (which I am assuming is for the full war), the scenario which is about 1/3 of the campaign will be about an hour I am guessing? I am curious as well to see reviews of solo play, but there is a pretty good chance that I am going to pick it up upon release anyway. I can always trade it if it doesn't excite me after a few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
....Just needs a few reviews.

I'm not sure if it's even shipped yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Given that the playtime for the game is listed at 180 minutes (which I am assuming is for the full war), the scenario which is about 1/3 of the campaign will be about an hour I am guessing?

I seriously doubt if you could work through the solo scenario in an hour- not the 1st time through.

About a year ago I got to play FoD at a local con. I played the opening scenario twice (vs 2 different people) and 1 turn of the solo game. I didn't break out time spent on each game, but I put down 420 total minutes, which means I pretty much spent all day playing FoD.

You have to look on charts to figure out what the strength is in the German hexes (solo is Allied player only). You pull chits to see where the Germans will be attacking. This wasn't a speedy procedure by any means, and the turn itself has lots of interaction, placing artillery and air point by point, then 2 phases of move/attack per side. It takes time to work through all this, but it is certainly meaty and time well spent.

One thing to consider about the solo scenario, it is later in the war when trench warfare is taking place. It is HARD to attack successfully, since the defender shoots first AND gets extra Trench Defense Dice (which I rationalize as the cost of trying to attack over the top vs machine guns). Still, not quite as sexy as the opening phase of the war when there are no ZoCs and things are far more mobile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien T
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pcfrederick wrote:
I had same concerns about solo-suitability. But I ordered it in hopes of playing it solo. Did you read this BGG post:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1403236/solitare-play-d...

I saw the thread and it made want to buy the game
But from the info we have yet, it is not clear if the solo variant is some sort of a cool way to learn and play a little by yourself - but is the game core for 2 players?

I will be good to have some feedback from the P500 people who will get the game first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to answer all of the questions thus far with one post. Let me know if I miss something.

The solo scenario is the 2-player 1917-18 scenario played as the Allies against the Central Powers "Bot." It plays a little faster than face to face because the Bot doesn't suffer from AP. There are chits to pull, tables to consult, and dice to roll. Use of the Combat Table is great for solo as you then only need roll 3d6 a side for combat resolution. The more versed one becomes with these the quicker it will go. I would expect the first solo play to take about 4 hours provided you finish. Some games you may stop because you know you've been beaten. devil

GMT recently posted the Solitaire Play Aid here:
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-473-fields-of-despair.aspx

The Playbook has an even more detailed walk through with detail of each step. We hope to have the Playbook posted in the next week or so.

Yes, the core game is a 2-player game. The game was designed as a 2-player game and the bot was designed to mimic the play of that 2nd player. Will it "feel" like the same game over and over? Given that there is no perfect strategy or combination of winning moves, I'd say no.

The tables for air and artillery use can also be used to augment traditional solo play of block games. The play one side, leave the table for few minutes then come back and play the other side method. I have found given the large range in block value that I often forget what is where. Sure, I have a general idea where the heat is coming, but my memory isn't as sharp as it once was and in a game with hexes, there's little room for error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.