Popular Tags: [View All]
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played my second game of Reef Encounter tonight. It had actually been quite some time since my first game so I was really still shaky on the rules, but I had decided it was "ladies choice" night and Lauren (being the only lady) chose the R to the E, so it was on.

We stumbled through the rules (with me doing a lot more reading aloud from the rule book than I usually do) and basically sorta played blindly for the first few turns.

After about 4 rounds in it suddenly seemed to me that I was locked out of most of the boards and I couldn't really DO anything. I couldn't make moves to threaten other players. I couldn't eat anything. There was nothing to do.

"this doesn't feel anything like the last time I played this" I said aloud.

It was only after the game was over that I looked back through the rules and realized that: YES in fact you CAN place new polyps anywhere on the board. I had gotten it into my head that you could only GROW off existing corals. This meant that colors started to disappear off the board never to return again...AND that certain boards simply got locked out to some players (thanks to shrimp and the scarcity of polyps.)

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks! I only played this once and made the same mistake. Seemed a bit too harsh, although it made it more cut-throat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
At the risk of pointing this out too often: have you tried reading my beginner's guide alongside the manual? You can find it here in RE's file section, and reorganises the rules in a somewhat more familiar format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.