Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
Anyone have opinions or experience on whether this works better if you just make your own starting words or phrase?

It would seem so after a few plays, but I'd love to hear other's suggestions for how to get the best laughs out of this. We aren't playing for points. We found in a lot of cases (playing with 8 adults) that using the words from the box just resulted in almost uninterrupted, correctly interpreted chains. Not as much fun.

For our last round we just made up our own words/phrases and this seemed to result in much funnier misinterpretations and drawings.

Do we just need to play through the included cards more? Or have folks found better results when making up your own words? If the latter, any tips for striking the right balance with word/phrase choice?

I know this isn't rocket science, but still -- I'm interested to hear from folks that love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We almost never use the cards. I keep the cards in the box, but really only pull them out if people are having troubles thinking of things, then I throw a handful of cards at them and say "use these as inspiration or a starting point".

I prefer to put in ambiguous things, or phrases that are open to interpretation so that there's changes throughout the chain. Having "chicken" is boring because you know it'll make it all the way through.

Even when it's something oddly specific like the one I had in our last game - "Andy Dufresne crawling through 300 yards of raw sewage to escape from Shawshank Prison", I enjoy seeing people's drawings to depict it.

In that same game I also used "Darth Vader trying to decide between hotdogs and spaghetti in the Death Star cafeteria".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's still great fun if you make up your own starting phrases. At that point you're basically well on your way to playing Eat Poop You Cat, which isn't a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tyler
msg tools
My friends and I have always had great fun making up our own starting words and phrases. As the previous poster implied, Telestrations is at its most fun when played as EPYC with a convenient set of spiral-bound dry erase notebooklets. The cards are just lame.

Depending on your friend group's collective sense of humor, it might be more amusing to get inspiration from white CAH cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Anyone have opinions or experience on whether this works better if you just make your own starting words or phrase?

Just play Telephone Pictionary without having to buy a game, using pens and paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trisha M

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We would play eat poop you cat
and most of the time we would start off with movie titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.