Subject: Independent Building and Command phases... can it work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to reduce downtime I thought that each player in turn order could complete their Building Phase and then each player in turn order complete their Command Phase. Does anyone see this breaking the game or giving one player an advantage over another?

I tested this variant in a Solo game in which I played as all three races. Out of the 10 rounds that I played the Klingons drew turn order #1 six times. However at the end of the 10th round all three races were pretty even having three Ascendancy each.

I am very interested to know if anyone else is using this variant or can see how this variant won't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I've played the build phase doesn't take that long (about 2 or 3 minutes max) so I don't see the need to separate them from the Command phase. How long do they last for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longer than 2 or 3 minutes thats for sure... Lets just say I play with some real "deep thinkers". But do you see this messing up a game mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

mewmew wrote:
Does anyone see this breaking the game or giving one player an advantage over another?

Yes, it breaks the game...or at least breaks the game as it was intended to be by the designer.

Simply put, each player should accomplish both phases before moving on to the next player, because one player's Building Phase needs to be informed by the previous players' Command Phase. Simple as that.

BTW, if you do a search, or simply go back a few months, you'll find many threads on this exact topic where this same discussion has been exhausted. You might find some great tidbits for you to consider, in those threads!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing everyone's building phase before anyone's command phase gives a significant advantage to defensive strategies.

As written, if you bid to go first, that lets you attack someone before they get to build new ships to defend themselves. If you have everyone do their build phase first, everyone will have fresh ships on their starbases before anyone can attack.

I don't know if I'd call that breaking the game, I think that's a bit excessive. I definitely don't feel like offense needs to be worse, though, and I doubt ST:A would be better with this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keenan kahnemouii
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your help on this... I just bought a 3 minute sand timer on amazon... I think that will help speed up our build phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.