• [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, the Hunter makes it more difficult to have valuable raiding/pillaging actions. For example, if pillaging (with the Hunter in play), then I might roll an 8, but it only counts as a 7. This means I cannot acquire the more valuable goods from pillaging (since the die value is desired to be high for such actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunghwan Kim
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
In fact, the Hunter makes it more difficult to have valuable raiding/pillaging actions. For example, if pillaging (with the Hunter in play), then I might roll an 8, but it only counts as a 7. This means I cannot acquire the more valuable goods from pillaging (since the die value is desired to be high for such actions).

I did think so. We can even take goods with lower value.

So, I can't understand Why this sentence, "including dice rolls for raiding and pillaging" is stated on the card and appendix.

Even effects of occupation cards are not mandatory..

edit: I read the appendix again and I think it is mandatory effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Z
msg tools
starfruit wrote:
Joakley815 wrote:

I did think so. We can even take goods with lower value.

So, I can't understand Why this sentence, "including dice rolls for raiding and pillaging" is stated on the card and appendix.

Even effects of occupation cards are not mandatory..

edit: I read the appendix again and I think it is mandatory effect.

I certainly read it as a mandatory effect, too. I think that's the only way to read it (no point in having an optional debuff). That said, I think it's still one of the strongest starting occupations, though I've never seen it hit the table yet so I haven't gotten a chance to see it in action. But the -1 for hunting game, setting snares, and whaling is both powerful and versatile, something that you could easily use not just every turn, but multiple times per turn. Most "each time" occupations don't give you quite that many opportunities. And while the goods you get from hunting aren't blue, the sheer quantity of loot per Viking that you get from a successful hunt is impressive, especially with 1 Viking (9 tiles of loot for 1 Viking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.