Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaex
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most confusing part about Mistfall for me is figuring out the difference between reflexes and fast actions. The rules aren't too clear, hopefully someone can clarify. Do reflexes always need to be played as responses to other actions, or can they be played by themselves without another thing triggering them?

My specific scenario:
I'm in only my second playthough of "Into the Wilds" so bear with me. Celenthia is in my party and I'm in the final encounter with Ghardak. I have 5 cards in my hand. If I were to buy "I Am The Storm", could I place it in my hero area and immediately attach the 5 cards needed from my hand (using 5 reflexes) to fire it off immediately to clear out his minions, or do I need to reflex off of 5 other sources first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Fast actions must be played during your hero turn, on their own - they generally don't/can't modify other actions. The only real difference from a Regular action is that you can do as many as you can find per turn, not just one.

Reflexes can (largely) be played whenever, this includes outside the hero turn (often during the defense phase, for example damage prevention cards).
If a when to play instruction that is part of their text says something about modifying another action of some sort, you can even play them during another action (to modify it accordingly).
If it's a "standalone" Reflex (like Arani's Fist of Dawn or similar small damage spells) without when to play instructions specifying a reactive use, the ground rule that you should finish one action before starting another still applies though, you shouldn't play those during other actions.

Edit:
Note that you are only forbidden from triggering an effect if it cannot change the game state at all. (For example, an effect that just says "Prevent 2 damage" can only be played when incoming damage is happening.)
If some, but not all, of the effect can happen, you may play it, just ignore the inapplicable parts. (For example, an effect that says "Prevent 2 damage. Draw 1 card." CAN be played standalone for its card draw, you ignore the prevention portion since it's inapplicable when no damage is incoming. In this particular example, doing this may often be focus-inefficient compared to dedicated draw effects, but can prevent dead cards cough Aseke cough)

Edit edit:
Your Celenthia example would work fine, just watch the colossal +Reinforcement cost of charging the Storm up that fast, that's probably going to bump you into some time penalties. It's usually more manageable to sneak those charges in over a few rounds before having it wipe the floor with the final battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaex
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation! GG tipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.