Popular Tags: [View All]
David Zammiello
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The USA "automatically" spends a resource to repair a damaged Chinese factory. Where can the resource come from? China? USA? If only from USA, what if LL is blocked due to Japanese control of Burma?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi David,

Factories (and Convoys) don't require that you spend something to be repaired. They are automatically repaired. They do require that you lose some Resources/Oil (equal to damage taken) on the Turn when the damage occurs.

Does that clarify?

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zammiello
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveLeLacheur wrote:
Hi David,

Factories (and Convoys) don't require that you spend something to be repaired. They are automatically repaired. They do require that you lose some Resources/Oil (equal to damage taken) on the Turn when the damage occurs.

Does that clarify?

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still not clear on the following rule:

"However if a USA-controlled Factory in China has taken damage (see 6.4), then the USA automatically is required to spend 1 Resource on Chinese units to fulfill this damage."

Can the US use a resource in China to repair a Chinese factory, or must the resource come from outside China? (Use of resources in China is pretty limited under the rules, so I'm not sure whether they can be used to repair a damaged Chinese factory: "Any USA-controlled Resource located in China may only be used to build Chinese units, and even then may only be used if a Chinese land unit is currently located in the same land area as the Resource.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi David,

The point of this rule is to address the USA's limited production capacity before the USA is in the war.

Suppose the USA's "It's War!" marker is in the 4 box. The USA can only spend 4 Resources. Now further suppose that Japan has successfully bombed Chungking for 1 point of damage. The rule requires that 1 of the 4 Resources that the USA is allowed to spend has already been expended by the bombing in China. Thus the USA has only 3 other Resources it can spend.

Does that clarify?

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zammiello
United States
Libertyville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Johnson
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Dave,
One more clarification:
In the above example: What if the Partisan roll is 1 "China"?
The US Bay of Bengal LL unit is in position.

The US would have 2 resources for new units. How many could be used in China?

Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Jay,

From what I can read in the rules (yes I had to consult in this case), the USA is not obliged to 'spend' a 2nd Resource of its 4 available on Chinese production. In effect, the partisan effect may be ignored, provided China isn't trying to build anything else.

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Johnson
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave,
So the LL supplies 1 resource and can build a step of a Chinese unit. The Chinese resource is not one of the 4 the USA (At War Limit) is using. The factor damage is factored in just before final production. The final USA production is 1 step in China and 2 in other locations?
Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Jay,

This is a bit tricky I admit.

LL "transfers" 1 USA Resource to China for its (potential) use.

When the USA's overall production is limited, the USA player can generally speaking choose whether or not to spend his limited Resources on USA or Chinese units. An exception is if a Chinese Factory is damaged by a Factory Attack; then you must spend the Resource (which is lost).

Please note that whatever is spent (willingly and unwillingly) on Chinese units does count against USA production when the USA is limited.

Example: USA "It's War!" is in the 4 box so it can spend 4 Resources this turn. The Bay of Bengal LL is in position to help China. Japan has successfully bombed Chungking for 1 point of damage. The USA player's options are:
(i) spend 3 Resources on USA units, and spend 1 on Chinese (this is lost to the Factory damage), or
(ii) spend 2 Resources on USA units, and spend 2 on Chinese units (1 is lost to the Factory damage).

I think what you described is situation (ii), which is correct. Phew! Need to simplify stuff this going forward...

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Johnson
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.