flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Sleep poll
1. Do you prefer falling asleep:
On your back?
On your front?
On your side?
2. Which of the following do you use/do to help fall asleep?
Background noise (TV, radio, white noise etc.)
Alcoholic drink
Bath/Shower
Read
Exercise
Sex
Medication
Eye mask or ear plugs
Eat
Meditation
Aromatherapy
Other
3. How long does it typically take you to fall asleep?
Less than 5 minutes
5-10 minutes
10-15 minutes
15-30 minutes
30-60 minutes
More than an hour
4. Do you snore?
Yes
No
5. Do you experience hypnic jerks?
Always
Often
Sometimes
Rarely
Never
6. How many hours sleep do you usually have?
Less than 4
4-5
5-6
6-7
7-8
More than 8
7. Do you wake up mid-sleep?
Always
Often
Sometimes
Rarely
Never
8. If you wake up mid-sleep, what are the typical causes?
Noise
Light
Hunger / thirst
Bad dream
Need to use toilet
Stress
Medical condition
Don't know
9. Do you use an alarm to wake up?
Never / rarely
Work days only
Days off only
Every day
10. How often do you remember your dreams?
Always
Often
Sometimes
Rarely
Never
11. How often do you have nightmares?
Always
Often
Sometimes
Rarely
Never
      125 answers
Poll created by col_w
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit that I am lucky. At home, on the road, on a plane, in a car. If I close my eyes and relax, I fall asleep. I sleep deep, and I stay asleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I use an alarm so that I know when to get out of bed on workdays, but am almost always awake at dawn - I don't know if it's the light or the birds that wake me, but even with blackout curtains the light is enough to stop me falling asleep again. So I get more sleep in winter than I do in summer

And my requirements for falling asleep are total silence and darkness. Any noise or light source gives me something to focus on, keeping me awake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I like when the hypnic jerk is incorporated into the dreamstate/twilightstate, though I've become convinced that the jerk happens and then the brain invents a story for it (generally, unexpectedly stepping off a curb, in my particular case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite state of consciousness is the phasing into to sleep from wakefulness when the concept of causality gets very loose and goofy and rational thought becomes increasingly quiet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I hate hypnotic jerks! Always getting people to do stuff against their will....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a rush this morning and can't write much, but I was uncertain between "medication" and "eat" for sleep aids, as neither really quite fits -- I went with "eat", since it's natural food products that I use.

I'm a longtime drinker of apple cider vinegar for the sleep benefits it bestows, and within the past year have discovered "SleepyTime Extra" herbal tea, which has quite literally changed my life. Additionally, I've found that a small snack of oatmeal (even a single oatmeal square or soft cookie) two hours before bedtime can greatly aid in falling asleep and going into deep sleep.

meeple

I forgot to mention before that I've also learned that the old folk remedy of a spoonful of honey shortly before bedtime really works -- it gently eases the transition into sleep and promotes *peaceful* sleep too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second question, does "masturbation" count as "sex" or "other?" whistle

As long as I exercise regularly, I fall asleep quickly, and sleep anywhere including chairs and planes. When I don't exercise, I get terrible insomnia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I contend that people overestimate that "need to use toilet" as the cause of them waking up. I used to wake up a ton in the middle of the night and when in that semi-conscious state, would get up and use the bathroom. Since I've been using a CPAP, I'm not waking up in the middle of the night. So, at the time I thought I was waking up because I had to use the toilet, but in hindsight that wasn't the cause of my waking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
WyantJM wrote:
I contend that people overestimate that "need to use toilet" as the cause of them waking up. I used to wake up a ton in the middle of the night and when in that semi-conscious state, would get up and use the bathroom. Since I've been using a CPAP, I'm not waking up in the middle of the night. So, at the time I thought I was waking up because I had to use the toilet, but in hindsight that wasn't the cause of my waking.

For me it really is having to use the bathroom. A couple times a week at least, I wake up in the middle of the night, really want to go back to sleep, but have to go to the bathroom so badly that I can't get back to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
wmshub wrote:
For the second question, does "masturbation" count as "sex" or "other?"

I answered "meditation".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I travel little anymore. That's the only time I might have trouble, and it's usually because the room is too hot.
Would that be any temperature above freezing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I just need to lay down and I go to sleep. Even if I'm not tired.

I travel little anymore. That's the only time I might have trouble, and it's usually because the room is too hot.

Curses, forgot to include temperature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My falling asleep routine includes:
My feet and lower legs must be uncovered no matter what the room temperature is. Depending on the temperature, the rest of me may or may not be.
Face down, face turned away from partner (can't stand feeling someone else's breath on my face).
Feet must be in the gap between the mattress and the ironwork at the foot of the bed.
Must have the TV on, at volume 7 (loud enough to smooth out a lot of noise from outside, quiet enough to not be intrusive), on a program I've seen before (if it's something new, I'll get too interested and concentrate on it).
Hand under corner of pillow supporting face - pillow must be thin enough my neck is straight.
Eyelashes not allowed to touch pillow.
Optional: cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I wear a hat during cooler months. The term "nightcap" and the line "ma in her kerchief and I in my cap" suggest to me this used to be a thing, and I can't figure out why it stopped. They keep your head warm, and you can tug them down in front to block light as needed. And, really, how much more of a doofus can I look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to have a fan on to sleep. The still air in a room with no fan really bothers me.

I checked the box to say that I never have nightmares, but since I never remember any dreams, I really don't know if that is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loads of getting to sleep and staying asleep issues.

I slept in a dark, quiet room all by myself since infancy. I then had a room air conditioner for about 11 years or so.

I need quiet and dark to sleep. Can't sleep with a TV on and even worse, with people having conversations in my house that I can hear. However, I did discover a free app that plays a White Noise on the iPad that sounds very close to a room air conditioner. That helps quite a bit.

Still haven't gotten used to sharing a bed and sleeping well; plus when my husband has a bad night, so do I. Falling asleep is easier for me than staying asleep. Prayer helps, the right temperature helps, the right humidity helps, Valerian helps, Lemon Balm helps. I might have about 5 nights of full and complete deep sleep each year; the majority of my nights it is interrupted sleep and some nights are better than others. Sometimes I have 2-3 days in a row of barely sleeping. :SHRUGS:

It is what it is.

Parents!! Accustom your children to sleeping with background noises: conversation, television, people moving about, etc. They will thank you for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work 3rd shift so my sleep is all messed up anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I used to need a total silence and a dark room, but since I was correctly diagnosed and somewhat adjusted to a CPAP...I've adapted. The machine provides a white noise / initial tiny light and lots of accessories, so that I had to adapt. Changed sleeping position as well.

Agree with earlier comment about waking for bathroom. This could signal one of several problems, including sleep apnea or diabetes. When you stop breathing other body muscles relax too. If you wake struggling to breathe or with acid reflux, then it might be sleep apnea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Under the typical causes section you forgot to include screaming infant. On a totally unrelated note, you also forgot number of instances that you wake up per night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Dammit, it's 4am, and I think I'm demonstrating to my own satisfaction that I don't have a clue when it comes to this sleep stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So who else had to look up hypnic jerks before answering?

As an aside - one of the fun things of wearing a Fitbit is that it tracks sleep. I found it quite enlightning. Here's an overview of some of my sleep stats:

You can see more detail as well as a comparison to the broader fitbit users averages. The conclusion for me was:

- I fall asleep real quick compared to most;
- I sleep quite average length of time;
- I wake up or have periods of near wakefulness much less frequently than the norm;
- the sleep efficiency as defined by Fitbit is very high (98%) compared to the average they give which is 85% or so.

PS: For the clever clocks who spot the gap of a sleepless night. That was correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.