Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why Fantasy Flight chose to name it only "New Angeles" and not "Android: New Angeles" as the other games in the Android universe have been named. Anyone know or have and idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well probably to avoid confusion with Android and Android: Netrunner. To those that are unfamiliar, naming the game "Android: New Angeles" might be easily confused as a sequel/expansion to those other games.

Recently I thought that Manhattan Project: Energy Empire was an expansion to Manhattan Project before looking into it a bit more and realizing that it's actually a standalone game. I know a couple other people that thought this was the case as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Also people could confuse it with the orginal Android game and think it was a follow up or expansion.

Doh the person above me covered that possibility but still a valid statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's simply a better name through and through. I don't see how Android adds anything to it, in fact I would have more likely not gotten it had Android been the front and center name there - it sounds like something I should be aware of before jumping into it.

As a more neutral name, it's great for all potential audiences. Android people know that it's Android anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because brevity is the soul of wit?

Wait, that could be briefer: Brevity is the soul of wit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes maybe easier and better. Maybe. I just think it would be more obvious that it's in the same universe.

Android
Android: Infiltration
Android: Netrunner
Android: Mainframe

and then

New Angeles ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swYck wrote:
Yes maybe easier and better. Maybe. I just think it would be more obvious that it's in the same universe.

Android

and then

New Angeles ...

Maybe they had problems with the previous releases causing mixups and so decided to nix the pattern. It does fit in with Eldritch Horror now being named Arkham Horror:Eldritch Horror. They're both in the same setting, and even bear many more similarities to each other than New Angeles does to any of the Android games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the reason is that those who are interested in the Android universe will recognize the name New Angeles already, and that's enough. For those who aren't interested in the Android universe, the prefix Android means nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
swYck wrote:

Android

and then

New Angeles ...

i'm of the frame of mind that perhaps the name Android was feared to carry weight of continuity of need of knowledge of the universe prior to this game. It kind of makes sense if they want to make sure this game stands alone on it's own, without that "fear." It's the same reason games/movies drop numerical sequence for sequels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner, of course, needed the prefix to distinguish itself from Original Netrunner. And I don't know why the BGG database claims otherwise, but Infiltration was always just called Infiltration. So there's an argument to be made that Android: Mainframe is actually the outlier here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ebrey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
kobold47 wrote:
Android: Netrunner, of course, needed the prefix to distinguish itself from Original Netrunner. And I don't know why the BGG database claims otherwise, but Infiltration was always just called Infiltration. So there's an argument to be made that Android: Mainframe is actually the outlier here.

Well, the Android logo is prominent on the cover of Infiltration, whereas it's absent from New Angeles.

My guess is that:
1) Android game fans all recognize the name 'New Angeles'
2) They want to appeal to fans of board games like BSG who don't care about Android.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess: Asmodee stopped them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.