GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Tiny Epic Western» Forums » Rules

Subject: Interesting Solo Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in the middle of a solo game and a very interesting situation came up. The mats are laid out as follows:

Town Hall
Yellow (Greyed out) Green (Greyed out)
Blue Red
Sheriff's Office

I have a Posse on Green for which he is using the Outhouse building at the location's porch spot. I have a Posse on the Leftover space at the Sheriff's Office. I have a Posse on Yellow's porch space. The Rival has a Posse on both the Red and Blue influence spaces. Since I placed my 3rd Posse (on the Leftover space) the rival does as well. Problem is is that for his placement I rolled a 6. Outhouse says I can't duel or be dueled. Rules say if the rival can't place at location he then goes to the next clockwise location. Well next location is Blue and he is already there. Can't place at Yellow or Green because I'm there on the only spots available. Can't place on Red because he's already there.

So where does he place? And yes, for the sake of which building he might potentially be able to buy, the answer could matter!

EDIT: Still would like answer but after further analysis I determined that where the rival would actually place made no difference in my specific case though had things been slightly different then the answer certainly would've mattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems extremely rare, but I'm interested in hearing the solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaFees wrote:
So where does he place? And yes, for the sake of which building he might potentially be able to buy, the answer could matter!

EDIT: Still would like answer but after further analysis I determined that where the rival would actually place made no difference in my specific case though had things been slightly different then the answer certainly would've mattered.

His placement would make no difference? I'm guessing his current placement of posse members already includes his choice of high point building to buy?

I thought I had this answered easily, but after reading more into it, you're right, there is no good place he would go. But by following the rules as best as I can I think he'd still end up at the Sheriff's office, just not on the Leftover placement location.

If he can't duel, then he cannot go to yellow or green. If he can't double up on a mat then he can't go to blue or red. This leaves only the Sheriff's Office, where he has no other posse members.

Rules say he goes to Leftover Spot, but since he can't duel that's out. However, there are 3 other slots left on this card. At a normal location mat he would place on the Influence Spot first, or if unable, he'd go to the Porch Slot. With the Sheriff's Office the first location is the Leftover Spot, with no other option given.

So, do we consider the Leftover Spot to be like the Influence Spot and choose the Porch Slot as his second Location to move to? Or do we ignore the Leftover Spot completely in this situation and consider first the Influence Spot, and then the Porch Slot? I choose the former for two reasons. First, because on the Sheriff's Office there are two Influence Spots so choosing one over the other would add unnecessary complication. Secondly, because the Porch Slot is a better blocking move that I think the AI would choose.

So, that's my overly long analysis of the situation. But it's very rare this would ever happen again, so who cares!

TL;DR Sheriff's Office Porch Slot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farnan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Braffe wrote:

Can't fault that reasoning at all. I'd go with that.
The only other alternative IMO would be the Blue Porch, but placement on the same card should take priority so I'd agree with you.

Interesting situation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Braffe wrote:

His placement would make no difference? I'm guessing his current placement of posse members already includes his choice of high point building to buy?

I thought I had this answered easily, but after reading more into it, you're right, there is no good place he would go. But by following the rules as best as I can I think he'd still end up at the Sheriff's office, just not on the Leftover placement location.

If he can't duel, then he cannot go to yellow or green. If he can't double up on a mat then he can't go to blue or red. This leaves only the Sheriff's Office, where he has no other posse members.

Rules say he goes to Leftover Spot, but since he can't duel that's out. However, there are 3 other slots left on this card. At a normal location mat he would place on the Influence Spot first, or if unable, he'd go to the Porch Slot. With the Sheriff's Office the first location is the Leftover Spot, with no other option given.

So, do we consider the Leftover Spot to be like the Influence Spot and choose the Porch Slot as his second Location to move to? Or do we ignore the Leftover Spot completely in this situation and consider first the Influence Spot, and then the Porch Slot? I choose the former for two reasons. First, because on the Sheriff's Office there are two Influence Spots so choosing one over the other would add unnecessary complication. Secondly, because the Porch Slot is a better blocking move that I think the AI would choose.

So, that's my overly long analysis of the situation. But it's very rare this would ever happen again, so who cares!

Yes, the Rival was already on a location (Blue) that had ONE of the highest VP value buildings (4VP). For added detail, the porch spots on the Red, Sheriff's Office and Blue locations were all available as well as the two card modification spots at the Sheriff's Office. As I said, with the cards we had, knowing I was guaranteed going to win Town Hall and get first buy, his final placement made no real difference. However, if Town Hall was in question, however, and the Rival could've potentially gotten first buy then his placement would've mattered. I point out that there was another 4VP building at the Sheriff's Office. So if the Rival could've both placed there AND win Town Hall then he'd've taken the 4VP building at the Sheriff's Office denying me that card.

Anyways, I wholeheartedly agree with all of you that this is quite the rare case but a fun one nonetheless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.