United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I continue to enjoy AH in spite of its longevity in the pantheon of Cthulhu games available. It is a rather card heavy game, especially if you're folding in an expansion(s). I was just pondering if AH is a good candidate for an app. I really haven't explored all the possible ways this could work, but some thoughts are the app controlling events, items and/or monster movement. I wouldn't be a fan of the app rolling for skill checks as I do enjoy chucking the chunky dice, but an app could do that as well as an available option. Just wondering how others would feel about this if FFG were to ever consider an app for AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Companion is a fantastic app. You can turn expansions on/off as you need to. It only deals the various other world cards out though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick search of Google's App Store should turn up some existing approaches - mainly managing all those stacks of cards, which is particularly useful for solo play IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Amanda D.
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The available apps are fantastic for content but the design kinda killed it for me. The card design in game just feels more immersive so for solo play I will generally break open the expansions and take the time to set up.

However, in a 8 player game where it's a miracle anyone is sitting down to play AH with me. I might bust out the apps to move things along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was totally unaware these apps existed! Thanks! Do you think FFG might jump on the bandwagon & do an out-of-the-park app or do these get it done in your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH toolkit on my iPhone works great and includes all the expansions...for a nominal fee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William Keller wrote:
AH toolkit on my iPhone works great and includes all the expansions...for a nominal fee

Yup. Looked at it and made it mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If using all of the expansions, the AH Toolkit makes it so you can leave (iirc) NINETEEN decks of cards in the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
If using all of the expansions, the AH Toolkit makes it so you can leave (iirc) NINETEEN decks of cards in the box!

That's going to make solo play a snap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaggelis Papa
Greece
flag msg tools
milsimmer wrote:
Kinda off topic, but I thought I'd ask here since you guys actually play the game:

Is it honestly good for solo play? I like D&D type stuff, and card driven wargames like Paths of Glory and Wilderness War. Is this game a good fit for me? I've been debating quite a while about getting it, still in analysis paralysis. Can you break the logjam?

I have played many solo games and I enjoyed them all, although sometimes it can get a bit tiring when you have to think for 4 investigators (you can always choose to play with less, but for me 4 is the ideal number) and keep track of all that's going on (which usually is a lot in AH). Of course it is more fun to play with other people since the diversity they bring to the decision making spices things up. I haven't played the games you mention but I would definitely recommend it for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
milsimmer wrote:
Kinda off topic, but I thought I'd ask here since you guys actually play the game:

Is it honestly good for solo play? I like D&D type stuff, and card driven wargames like Paths of Glory and Wilderness War. Is this game a good fit for me? I've been debating quite a while about getting it, still in analysis paralysis. Can you break the logjam?

Dude. Buy this game.
Also. Get Dunwich Horror Expansion.
After that you will be able to judge for yourself.
Got back into boardgames middle of last year (I thought Risk and Monopoly was all there was). After my Dunwich Expansion arrived I started to break out the box often and I can't tell you how much fun I am having. To be honest I am considering recording my games either on video or short notes as a lot of the stuff that happens to some characters make for some seriously memorable stories. And why not write a short story!

I have almost all of the expansions for a boardgame similar to this, but released more recent. I have shelved that thing now that I have been humbled by the Beast that is Arkham. I actually just finished my work week and having a game tonight! Super Amped!

I concur with the sentiment of it being tiring to run 4 Investigators, and with the fact that it feels best this way. Be wary of increased play times for more people, and mad difficulty if less. However, the beauty in this game lies for me in this:

- I can start a game of Super Mario 100 times, and know which pipes go where. Every. Single. Game. (In modern games you eventually figure out patterns or spawn points or whatever, and the game becomes "solved")
- I can start a game of Arkham Horror 100 times with the same AO and Investigators and the game will not replicate the same challenges or puzzles in any of those games.

It is beautifully balanced chaos.

And it hates you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
milsimmer wrote:

I wouldn't buy it for solo play. Sitting down to play AH is "an event" to be shared with others. It's too big and unweildy to play solo, you can surely find other Lovecraft-themed games that are more practical.

(obviously imo, ymmv, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
milsimmer wrote:

I wouldn't buy it for solo play. Sitting down to play AH is "an event" to be shared with others. It's too big and unweildy to play solo, you can surely find other Lovecraft-themed games that are more practical.

(obviously imo, ymmv, etc.)
While your opinion is valid for your situation, it is not a universal truth. There are many, many solo players of Arkham Horror, so in that respect, I fear that you are mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that this post was going anywhere but

Just say'nwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
While your opinion is valid for your situation, I do not agree. There are many, many solo players of Arkham Horror, who also wouldn't agree.

fixed that for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
While your opinion is valid for your situation, I do not agree. There are many, many solo players of Arkham Horror, who also wouldn't agree.

fixed that for you
What did you fix? You changed my words (which is rude) but what did you actually fix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm sure you intended to acknowledge my opinion, even if you disagree with it, not tell me I'm wrong about what I would or wouldn't do. That would be a horribly rude thing to do, after all. So I edited it appropiately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Well, I'm sure you intended to acknowledge my opinion, even if you disagree with it, not tell me I'm wrong about what I would or wouldn't do. That would be a horribly rude thing to do, after all. So I edited it appropiately.
Then you are mistaken once more. You misunderstood my intent and you misrepresented me too. Nice.

I'll try once more to explain my opinion.

You said "[Arkham Horror is] too big and unweildy to play solo" I disagree and there are many folk on this forum who appear to disagree with your assertion. There are those who have played over 100 games solo. So, you are mistaken in your assertion that AH is too big and unwieldy to play solo. Had you said "I find that..." or "it is my experience that..." or even the laughable "IMHO..." I would not have taken issue with your statement. I would have pointed out that others have a different experience, but I would not have felt the need to say that you were mistaken. And no, not everything on BBG/Internet is opinion and therefore automatically immune to discussion or invalidation, some of it is stated in the form of assertion or as fact.

But I digress.

Simply put, in my experience, Arkham Horror is an excellent solo game, the solo experience can be made more convenient - if space and/or setup time is at a premium - by using an App.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll spell it out, then.

I said "I wouldn't buy it for solo play." Then I went on to explain why.

The statement can not be wrong. It's a fact. You saying I'm wrong means that I would buy it for solo play. Also implying that I don't know what I would do. That is unbelievably condescending.

I tried to build you a bridge by offering a wording that wasn't as offensive, hoping that you didn't realize what you were writing and didn't want to come across as a jerk.

But fine, have it your way.

Edit: I also did use both "in my opinion" and "your mileage may vary" in the initial post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.