Subject: Hall of Heroes: super short summary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this is my first review ever. I tried to make it short and sweet and would be happy for any questions, comments or suggestions…

Overall:

Hall of Heroes is massive expansion for Raiders of the North Sea. There is a new location your Vikings can visit, new crew cards, material for a fifth player, new mead tokens and a new mechanic that lets you get plunder and score points. On top of all that you get handy new player boards that help you organize everything: Now your crew, plunder, offering tiles, Viking and the new quest tiles have a defined and beautiful looking pace.

New strategic options:

The mead hall merges smoothly with the base game and allows more tactical flexibility. When you visit this location, you have to options:
You can pick a face up crew card and get some additional resources in the form of mead and silver. While you always need silver for hiring new crew, paying for offerings or visiting the armory, mead can be spent to increase the strength of your attack when you raid – sure thing, a drunken Viking fights much more fiercely! Thus, mead can be very powerful as it may mitigate the luck of the dice. Even more important, you get the ability to pick the right face up crew card at just the right moment which gives you a lot of control over your crew members and your hand.
Your hand plays an important role when you visit the mead hall for the other associated action: you can go on quests. This new mechanic introduces quest tiles on raided locations which can be gained by discarding a sufficient amount of military strength from your hand. Your reward for questing is silver and/or plunder and the quest tile itself which is placed on a new score track on your player board. In addition, there is a set collection element with additional rewards.

Résumé:

The Hall of Heroes expansion adds new strategic and tactical depth to Raiders of the North Sea. The new quest tiles make already raided location very interesting as you can get resources required for offerings without a strong crew or the required provisions. In addition, quest tiles score you points in the end of the game. Mead can help you take out fortresses and earn lots of points. Summarizing, Hall of Heroes enhances the base game in various ways without loads of new rules. Games are even more exciting and fun! I definitely recommend it to everyone who enjoys Raiders of the North Sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the brief yet informative review. I'm pumped for this expansion and can't wait for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Breugelmans
Belgium
Vorselaar
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this brief summary of HOH ... I also looking forward to this expansion.
Is there yet a price determined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can't wait! Loved the base game. Art work is superb. February can't come soon enough. I like the idea of more ways to score. I am most interested in new character cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huckleberry Carignan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will this be a kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread Shem the designer said it will go to Kickstarter

shem84 wrote:
Hi Daniel. Both expansions are coming to Kickstarter around Feb/Mar next year. Raiders and all other other North Sea titles (including their KS stretch goal content) will be available as add-ons in the campaign too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Douglas

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome!!! I love this game and am very excited for both expansions!
Great read and write up!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally forgot to write that we were playtesting a prototype. However, everything works well and makes an allmost final impression (e.g. new crew cards still need artwork and mead tokens may change).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek
Poland
flag msg tools
Holger, is there a chance for your brief summary of the other raiders' expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jacek, we started to test Hall of Heroes and went on to Fields of Fame afterwards. So the other summary took a little longer. The other short write-up is on since Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.