Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
This questions concerns The House Always Wins scenario.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
During Agenda 1a, each criminal enemy gains Aloof. Does that effect the Clover Club Pit Boss requirement to move at the start of the enemy phase? Obviously he won't engage anyone while he's Aloof, but does he still follow investigators around the club?

My understanding is that even though he doesn't engage anyone during his Aloof stage, he could still follow them around like he's keeping an eye on them, with an eye towards possible engagement in the future. Or does the fact that he's Aloof prevent him from also being a Hunter?

To anyone else who's played this scenario, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mb
Without reading the spoiler, I would say that all enemies with the Hunter keyword move, if they are ready and unengaged - see RR, page 12. If the enemy as has other keywords, Aloof for example, does not impact this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you would think that being Aloof stops Hunter from activating, but you're right, they don't stop each other. Aloof Hunters still follow people around, they just don't do much beyond that (without other game abilities triggering, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you've read the card, you'll see that if you gain clues while Pit Boss is at your location, he will engage you and attack you.

aloof in no way, shape, or form stops the hunter keyword.

whippoorwills are also aloof hunters that follow you around from area to area, giving you -1 to all skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
Aloof Hunters still follow people around, they just don't do much beyond that (without other game abilities triggering, of course).

Which I imagine gives the potential future(?) scenario where you are being stalked by aloof enemies, hoping an encounter card "all aloof enemies attack" doesn't show up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
The only reason I asked is because it seemed strange the first time I noticed that I was being stalked by a non-aggressive enemy. After I got to thinking about it, it didn't sound quite so strange, but the initial strangeness made me think I should at least ask others what they thought about it. It seems like a great mechanic to get a lot of enemies at your location, and then swamp you all at once with a gang attack. How very thematic for this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
iGniGhted wrote:
if you've read the card, you'll see that if you gain clues while Pit Boss is at your location, he will engage you and attack you.
[/o]

I was aware of the card text on the Pit Boss, but because he followed me around I was able to stay one step ahead of him and gather clues without triggering an attack.

As for the Whippoorwills, they did not show up during my one and only playthrough of the Dunwich scenarios. Perhaps I'll see them next time, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
The only reason I asked is because it seemed strange the first time I noticed that I was being stalked by a non-aggressive enemy. After I got to thinking about it, it didn't sound quite so strange, but the initial strangeness made me think I should at least ask others what they thought about it. It seems like a great mechanic to get a lot of enemies at your location, and then swamp you all at once with a gang attack. How very thematic for this scenario.

Non-aggressive enemies stalking you is actually scarier than aggressive ones doing so. If something follows you and attacks you at every point - sure, it's scary, but you know what to expect and you know why it's doing what it does. But if something just silently walks after you and yet keeps its distance - now that's when you have to think of all the possible horrible reasons it could have for doing that. Definitely hits that Lovecraftian "fear of the unknown" thing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i had 1 whipporwill follow me around from turn 1 until the end of the Extracurricular Activities scenario. you will learn to hate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
It's definitely a very thematic mechanic. It's fun just trying to get them to move where you want them to, so that you can deal with them as effectively as possible when the right moment comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.