Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know evilnox posted something similar only a few days ago, but that thread seems to have died down and I didn't get a reply to this question there, so I'm posting it here. I hope that's ok.

I'm about to get all the army and reinforcement packs, and was wondering about the Dragon and the Giant. Is one of them stronger than the other? If I only get one of each, will handing one to each player result in an unbalanced game where one army is superior to another?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon is stronger than the giant, but the dragon also costs 2 gold more than the dragon. Supposedly it's balanced that way. I have only played the dragon scenario with my neutral units, though. I still haven't sent them to battle. My gut feeling is that the rest of the army composition can compensate on the Mountain Giant's side. Sure, the dragon is strong, but it's still only one unit. Keep in mind that overall combat prowess is only part of the equation. You still need to focus on gaining victory points, so having a powerful dragon can only do so much for your army.

Hopefully you can get some more answers from people who have played Giant vs. Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
The dragon is definitely a problem for your opponent and more powerful/tough than the Giant. The fact that it is flying adds power, too (-1 die to all attacks from non-flying and non-ranged units).

I agree with Garrett, though, that it's balanced. It costs 12 10 muster points and you will likely be forced to place the dragon "hoard" hex terrain tile. The hoard is a potential source of 3 VP for your opponent! Works similar to a command tent.

Quote:
If, at the start of his turn, a player’s unit
occupies a hoard hex on his opponent’s half of the game
board, he removes the hoard hex from the game board and
gains 3 VP.

So the dragon is really strong, but it's also a lot of eggs in one basket and a potential liability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
It costs 12 muster points

Nope, it costs 10 muster points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
Darador wrote:
apkendrick wrote:
It costs 12 muster points

Nope, it costs 10 muster points.

Right, thanks. Forgot the Mountain Giant is only 8. As Garret said relative cost of 2 more muster points than the Giant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys. This is really helpful!
I think I'm gonna get one of each (well, I'll probably get 2 Razorwings).

PS
I'm sorry to have bombarded you guys with posts these last few days. And thank you for replying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just adding my $.02, the Great Dragon is a very powerful unit but I think balanced by his cost and the possible penalty of the hoard. The Mountain Giant hasn't lived up to his potential in our games, but that's just been a string of bad luck for us... we think ours is cursed. Frequently misses, attackers tend to roll lots of hits when he's the target, etc.

I don't much like his Boulder Toss ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lange
msg tools
In my opinion the Great Dragon is fine relative to the Mountain Giant and vice versa. My brother plays Great Dragon basically every game. As long as I remember my ranged units, I'm fine. That said, the hoard thing for the dragon makes it sorta weird. Great Dragon is about the same power-wise as the undead dragon, but the undead dragon has no hoard. I think that's because, as a neutral unit, the dragon needed a weakness so it wasn't always in every daqan and uthuk army. Then again, the same could be said for razorwings and the mountain giant but neither of those seem to have a weird drawback to them while still maintaining average power levels. That makes me think the hoard was a thematic addition rather than a balance addition which just seems silly to me. I have considered just getting rid of it. It could also be that I'm just wrong and the great dragon is just stronger than the undead dragon hence the hoard. Not sure.

EDIT: I agree boulder toss isn't strong, but if you can't get in range or are wanting a way to attack w/o getting ranged while you sit on a point then it's sorta nice. My 1 or 2 times play with the giant he did fine, but my giant also doesn't have a curse so I think that's the difference soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.