GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,322 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: New player: purchase game with expansion immediately? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oleg Kozak
msg tools
Hey all. I want to purchase 7 Wonders: Duels and don't know whether I should immediately buy the expansion too.

Does it make the game better right from the start? Money is not really the question here, just want to get the most from the game.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
ravenua wrote:
Hey all. I want to purchase 7 Wonders: Duels and don't know whether I should immediately buy the expansion too.

Does it make the game better right from the start? Money is not really the question here, just want to get the most from the game.

Thanks.

Perhaps except for TI3, you will never find an opinion on BGG advising to start the game with any expansion. the overall trend is "start wth the base game...".

My opinion is that the expansion fixes a lot of things from the base game but I would advise playing about 5 times with just the base game so you can understand better the improvements introduced by the expansion. However, I would not wait too long with adding the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i haven't looked in a few weeks but didn't see pantheon discounted that much yet ... you can have fun with base game for awhile and then maybe catch a sale later on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg Kozak
msg tools
unveilmyeyes wrote:
i haven't looked in a few weeks but didn't see pantheon discounted that much yet ... you can have fun with base game for awhile and then maybe catch a sale later on

I live where there won't be any sales on such games, so it's basically comes down to "get both from the start" or "get second one later".

As I've said, money is not a question here, it's a matter of gameplay. If I draw a parallel to video games and someone would ask me whether to play base Civ 5 or to play it will all expansions (another example: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (base) or immediately with Enemy Within (expansion)), I'd recommend the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:
Perhaps except for TI3, you will never find an opinion on BGG advising to start the game with any expansion. the overall trend is "start wth the base game...".

My opinion is that the expansion fixes a lot of things from the base game but I would advise playing about 5 times with just the base game so you can understand better the improvements introduced by the expansion. However, I would not wait too long with adding the expansion.

I agree with this. The base game is fine, and you will want to play it a few times to get a feel for it. The expansion adds new options and twists to your strategy, and once you add it you probably won't want to go back, but the game isn't "missing" anything without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the base game for a year. I just received Pantheon as a gift, but I'm not in a hurry to try it right away.

If you will play it quite often, you'll get to the point where you want to add Pantheon sooner. If it makes sense to purchase both at the same time, go for it, but play the base game a fair amount before adding Pantheon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is great. The expansion doesn't just expand it, it changes it, so you do want to play the base first for awhile.

That being said, you'll be ready for the expansion soon enough, so you might as well get it now and put it on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I basically never suggest to get a game with expansions right from the start. And this is no different.

7 Wonders: Duel is such a great game that it really doesn't even need an expansion. In this case I would strongly advise to play the base game by itself first. The expansion does add some new features that might be a bit overwhelming if you're not familiar with the core gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Rezac
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love 7 Wonders: Duel and play it 10+ times, then the expansion is worth retail price. I bought mine at $25 from Amazon and have seen it as low as $20 around Christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I wouldn't advise getting the expansion at the same time as the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played the original probably 60 or 70 times. Then it got set aside and we kind of forgot about it, as we have many other games to play.

I bought the expansion, and we're now playing it often again. It definitely changes the game, and has given it new life for us.

You won't need the expansion immediately, but if you enjoy the base game, you'll want the expansion at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO the only reason to buy Pantheon when you buy 7 Wonders Duel is the possibility that it will sell out and no longer be available at a reasonable price when you're ready to buy it.

My wife and I like the Pantheon expansion, but I don't think it is essential to enjoying the base game. It doesn't make it better so much as it makes it different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As all expansions, none are necessary from the start.

However, Pantheon definitely improves Duel and makes it into a much meatier and strategic game. If you think this is a game you'll enjoy, it's an expansion that makes an already superb game even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the base game and the expansion together, and after two games base only, we added the expansion for the third game.

So, yes buy it. You'll need it soon. It adds another layer of decisions to an already great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg Kozak
msg tools
Thanks for the answers! I guess I'll buy the base game first and get the expansion some time later, if we feel like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I just want to add this comment for other people interested in this question.

I think Pantheon is a worse game in many senses than base game. So to new players I strongly recommend to avoid the expansion.

However there is value in the expansion. The base game is pretty shallow, once you play the base game more than a hundred games you will feel you practically solved the game and two very experienced players will mostly just go through the motions.
At that point you have two options, stop playing 7 wonders duel or get the expansion.

The expansion drastically/exponentially makes the game more deep, but sadly more complex. I don't think most people will solve pantheon even after some extra hundred of games.

So given that most people are not like me and play a game a hundred times, I strongly suggest avoiding the expansion. But if you are like me and enjoyed 7 wonders duel base game that much, you will play it a hundred of games and if you want still more 7 wonders duel experience at that point, the expansion will become necessary to keep the game interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.