GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,451 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

One Deck Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: Orange dice, green strength challenge boxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dungeon cards have strength challenge boxes that are green but the corresponding dice are orange. The rulebook claims the dice are yellow but they're definitely on the orange side of yellow.

Did something happen along the way that resulted in mismatched colors here? The pink/magenta and blue are a great match, but the green vs. orange isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
The colors on mine seemed to make sense. Maybe you can post pictures? We might have another "The Dress" scenario on our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a representative photo, although it shows the opposite side of the dungeon card. Do your cards or dice look much different?

And for anyone who missed the "dress" reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the dice and spaces are supposed to be yellow.

The dice look pretty yellow in Kevin's picture - but they're kind of a deep yellow. Some people perceive deep yellow as orange. (I have had discussion about what to call the color of those old wooden pencils.)

The boxes on the cards are paler, and perhaps they have slight green tinge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my physical copy yet, but based on the image above it looks like the dice color is more saturated than the card color in ALL cases (blue, pink, yellow) but they aren't different enough to give me pause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors on the cards came out a bit paler than we intended, and were *not* accurate to proofs we were provided, but they weren't far enough off to call for a reprint. I do wish they were more vibrant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the OP was referring to the armor boxes? For instance, the ones on the left side of the Dragon's Lair which have a green armor sign and a whiteish background? Maybe that's where the green is coming from...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I find the yellow spaces on the cards to be a little green-ish in the print & play version as well (and I don't just mean printed out, but already on screen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a picture. The usual caveat applies, i.e., it may display differently on your monitor based on make/model/calibration.

I put the components on a sheet of printer paper to make it easy to check the white balance afterward. On the printer paper red, green, and blue are within a 2% range, so although not perfectly neutral it's close enough to demonstrate the issue. I used a single light source so no issues with mixed lighting causing different color balances across the photo.

gillum's comment about old grade school wooden pencils is accurate--the strength dice are roughly that tone of yellow/orange, so if not actually orange then at least a very deep yellow. The photo makes them look a bit lighter due to the white background reflecting light through them.

Compare that to the strength boxes on the Dragon boss card and the illustration on page 21 of the rulebook. Both are on the greenish side of yellow. The dice shown on page 21 are a perfect match to the strength boxes to my eyes, although I prefer the color of the physical dice to those shown in the illustration

Not a huge deal since after you match up the magenta and blue dice with their boxes you're left with the one color whatever you want to call it, so it's not a practical issue in terms of figuring out which dice to use for strength challenge boxes. Just tweaks my OCD is all, and wondering if this is a print-run-wide issue or just some copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any green there, personally? (except for the armor boxes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

It's a light green tint, not a strong green, made more difficult to discern by the fact that it's most visible only around the border of the strength boxes and fades toward the middle. But whatever you call it, you can see the difference between the dice in the illustration and the physical dice, right? The illustration dice match the strength boxes on the cards while the physical dice don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, no. I just see slightly less saturated colors on the card. The dice in the booklet aren't translucent because trying to render that effect came out very poorly in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I was curious now

A bit unscientific, but I grabbed the color from the border of a yellow die box from the print & play PDF:

It's more on the yellow side than green, but it's pretty greyish/"washed out" (EDIT: I guess I mean less saturated) as well, which I think contributes to a blurring of the colors. For me, I definitely hesitated to call the yellow die boxes "yellow" when preparing the print & play. Especially if you compare them to the bright yellow die symbols on the "cost" side of skills, the boxes definitely look green-ish to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Color adventures!

The main solution is that we're going to make sure the cards get all the yellow ink they deserve on the next print run (the plastic cards are brighter than the paper ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
Color adventures!

The main solution is that we're going to make sure the cards get all the yellow ink they deserve on the next print run (the plastic cards are brighter than the paper ones).

I see now that it's a ploy to get us to buy plastic cards devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
I used a single light source so no issues with mixed lighting causing different color balances across the photo.

But the relative appearance of the two different yellows is still going to look very different with different lighting sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
MentatYP wrote:
I used a single light source so no issues with mixed lighting causing different color balances across the photo.

But the relative appearance of the two different yellows is still going to look very different with different lighting sources.

Correct. That's why I have the printer paper to calibrate the end result to as "neutral" a white balance as possible by keeping red, green, and blue as closely balanced as possible. Your mileage may and quite possibly will vary in person depending on your lighting. Plus every person's vision is potentially different from how the camera sensor captures color.

In any case I thought it was a pretty obvious difference between the deep/orange-ish yellow of the actual dice vs. the greenish yellow dice in the rulebook, but even that turned out not to be a given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McCoy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
and His Amazing Zoo Crew!
badge
I'm Spader-Man.
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

I came on here specifically to find out why my dice where Orange when the boxes are clearly Green. Like, straight-up: to my eyes they're Orange and Green. I get not freaking out about it, but saying that they're not Orange/Green isn't really doing anybody any good. Thanks for the explanation above that the colors weren't true to the proof though, and that it would be fixed in the 2nd printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange is an interesting color. There was no term for that color in English before the 15th century. It was just another kind of red. I think that's kind of crazy when I think about it.

In any case the boxes all have icons as well as colors. The "yellow" boxes have swords, the "pink" have winged feet, and the "blue" has a diamond. I too have trouble distinguishing the "yellow" boxes with my old eyes so I look for the symbols.

Hope that helps someone.

PS: The dice look yellow to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.