Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are here! We are ready to do some design work with you! You throw ideas for fluff and theme of the event and I pick the best (and those which are not already in the game) and work on rules.

That way you will learn the rules.
I will get inspired.
We all will get few more cool cards!

Ready?
Throw your ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvo Fillekers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a Nice storage solutions for all the components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Common sense won't pay the rent and doesn't grow on trees, but splitting hairs can get you anything you need
mbmbmbmbmb
An actual alien encounter. Or potentially bumping into some piece of alien technology.

Falling into underground Mars and trying to get back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur- a member of your team is working for a private organisation that is working on its own mars base and needs to be the main centre for any future Martian commerce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Chiappini
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming the events work like in Robinson Crusoe, so initial effect/slightly positive thing you can get in exchange for an action / threat if you don't fix the situation.

What got me about Andy Weir's The Martian was the feeling of total isolation, and how the character managed to cope with not seeing anyone else for so long. So how about:

Isolation

You have left your family and friends millions of miles away, and have spent the last weeks working frantically, and almost always on your own. You notice you started talking to yourself lately.

The first player cedes the first player token to another, loses two determination tokens if possible and can only support others in their actions in his turn. If he and another player spend one action on this event card, discard this card and the player gets one determination token.

Otherwise, the first player will suffer a panic attack in an important room: throw one extra malfunction dice when this card leaves the threat area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irek Winnicki
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
badge
why so serious
mbmbmbmbmb
Like this?
Insomnia event. One player got +1 pawn for research in rund but group have to pay -1 morale seeing this scary maniac working at night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ignacy,

I don't know exactly how the game plays, but maybe these ideas could help:

Resupply stores from Earth (but might not make it intact).
Gain / Lose communications with Earth.
Try to find lost colleague in Mars desert.
Other scientist tries to take control.
Slowly losing all power, try to find out why / fix the problem.
Buggy breaks down, make it back to base alive.
Survive limited supplies long enough to be rescued by Earth.
Martian water contaminated with alien parasites - causes massive ill effects.
Attempt to terraform planet into liveable conditions.
Character with unavoidable need for double rations.
Permanent character death (remove character from game).
New recruits (gain new character mid-game, lose one existing character)
Asteroid Strike!
Temporarily reduced gravity.
Earth has been destroyed - attempt to create conditions for life on Mars or meet other satisfactory criteria.
Find tech / build ship to be able to break orbit.
ALIEN theme - stalked by alien, slowly remove 'dead' crew cards as game progresses.
Brand new element discovered - one use only.
Receive good / bad news from home - gain/lose something.
Showers not working - lose something for one turn.
You've got a cold - go into quarantine (miss two actions)

Best of luck with the launch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
as there are no rules online yet, it is hard to say what is possible ingame. Thatswhy just trowing out some names for possible events here:

- Eclipse -> cold temperatures, reserach opportunities
- Comet storm -> damage but minerals
- A trace of life? -> research endeavor
- Solar flare -> heat wave, damage
- Crashed satellite -> maybe scavenge for resources
- Malicious system hack -> outside interference from earth
- A blast from the past -> leftovers from an earlier unmanned mars expedition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh yes regarding the rules...I'm honestly ready to pre-order, only thing that is keeping me is the rule's absence. Any plan to provide them anytime soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deimos falls- deimos has been disrupted from its orbit and will impact the martian surface in x number of days, you have to strengthen the base against marsquakes and dust storms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Prebble
United Kingdom
Herne Bay
Coastal Leisure Town
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding a British flag flying, and discovering that the Victorians got there first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Discovering the Eiffel Tower...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely like the idea of finding the remnants of an old civilisation, the ruins of their cities. Something to do with searching them and finding old writings and carvings and learning the truth - that we were here once before....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King Kong Scenario... In Space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jffalaschi wrote:
An actual alien encounter. Or potentially bumping into some piece of alien technology.

Please no aliens. Keep this scientific, not Sci-fi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Since you've stated the game will be 'science-based', I"m thinking most suggestions about ancient civilizations and aliens will be ignored.

To that effect:
- Solar flare (no magnetosphere on mars)
- Muscle loss / bone deterioration (lower gravity)
- Malware/Computer virus (someone brought an infected usb stick!)
- Blocked sunlight from dust storm (solar cells stop working)
- Radiation poisoning
- Satellite breakdown (no communication to Earth)
- Bad brew (someone home-brews some beer/alcohol but it's a bad batch)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
minor plot of Total Recall (original) - colony running out of oxygen, find ancient alien machine to melt the ice core and push oxygen into the atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao F. Falaschi
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Common sense won't pay the rent and doesn't grow on trees, but splitting hairs can get you anything you need
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
jffalaschi wrote:

Please no aliens. Keep this scientific, not Sci-fi.

Just because we havent't met them yet does not mean they're not there. Aliens can be purely scientific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Edens
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I feel this is hard to come up with events not knowing the format or style of the existing events. But here goes some topics for events and then the style and format can be added later.

Hard drive with music and videos from home becomes corrupted leaving nothing to do on downtime (choice of creating board game or do nothing). Consequences if you don't make a game you get bored and lose a little by if you make one you have a random chance of the players getting into a fight over trading sheep and lose a ton of morale.

Remaining food supply is fine but all spices are spoiled. Food. Comes flavorless and you have to experiment combining foods. Potential for morale boost or loss if you are a bad cook.

The "biological waste" machine malfunctions and falls into the "oscillating air circulation machine". Or in their words the shit hits the fan.

Depending on length of stay on Mars you could have a time when you need to groom like cut hair and stuff. Could initiate a Mars Makeover. If you choose to skip your hair is too long and messes with your vision on a collection mission and you fall. But if you do participate you have amorous contact with a fellow astronaut and drama ensues.

Pinhole structural damage in suit you must repair before leaving. Depending on your method of fixing it are consequences.

You find bacteria on mars and depending on if you choose to spend time researching it or not you either inform NASA immediately or wait. If you wait you discover it was human error and you actually brought it with you and increase morale due to being right. If you inform NASA you later find you were wrong and lose morale.

I'll think of more and post later I am sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Event name: Boardgame Idea

while working, one of your martians got an idea for a new boardgame.

decision, let him/her work out the idea for the game
+ morale of the team rises!
- creating the time took more time than expected, the martian can do less actions on his turn untill the game is finished ( every turn more change to finish the game, for example first turn 50% chance to finish, next turn 60%, etc etc)

Follow up eventname: Expansion Idea

while working, one of your martians got an idea for expansion for the created board game.

takes time, but does not necessarily produces more morale for the group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Mallet
Switzerland
St-Blaise
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Marsquake
- A giant meteor cruises near the planet, blocking all communications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Encounter with the old world

Stumble across previous efforts to get to know the Red Planet. See list of Mars missions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oxygen Rush - the o2 levels have risen too high affecting your judgement all actions require a dice roll until the levels drop, includes a risk of fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a time capsule launched from earth containing, amongst other things, the diaries of one R. Crusoe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just beat me to it!

I was going to say: You find Robinson Crusoe Board Game in supplies, miss one go for playing long game, gain morale for having great time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.