Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Baldock
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb

This image shows how skilled Poe Dameron is, even when his ship is just a model he can handle a steeper slope then the other, lesser, X-Wing pilot.

OK, this image actually shows the effect of my base mod rather then Poe's skill. Both X-Wings were tilted until they started to slip. Since the mod adds a nice weight as well as grip the models are much less likely to be accidentally moved. The hight of the base is only increased by just under 1mm so movement templates still easily fit in the bases guide bumpers.

First off, well third paragraph off, this mod uses lead. While lead is toxic it is actually very safe to handle so long as you give your hands a good wash after and are reasonably careful. If you sand the lead to add glue grip you need to make sure you do that over a bin and not to sand it much, just one pass will do, so as not to make a lot of lead dust. Once you add the rubber sheet you will not be exposed to the lead any more, so you only need to be careful while doing the mod.

The things you need are 1.8mm thick lead sheet and 1mm thick rubber sheet, both are very cheap. Cut the lead so that it fits inside the base then score both sides of the lead and sand the inside of the base. Make sure the lead is flat, compress it between two flat things for a while if not, and then glue it in with superglue. Cut the rubber sheet to the same size as the lead so it fits inside the base and glue that onto the lead with superglue. Wash your hands thoroughly and you are done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falesh wrote:
this mod uses lead. While lead is toxic...

And that's where you lost me. Even small amounts of lead dust, undetectable to the naked eye, can be harmful to kids.

My similar mod is to glue a metal washer underneath the base. They're cheap, safe, and have worked well during the several years I've used them under my ship bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Baldock
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
You don't need to generate any lead dust while doing this mod. Lead is perfectly safe to work with as long as you wash your hands. Plenty of people work with lead every day safely as part of their job. The fear of lead has become a bit overblown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Falesh wrote:
Lead is perfectly safe to work with as long as you wash your hands.

Trouble is, many kids (and some adults) don't wash their hands after exposure or wash them inadequately.

The other issue is that many times (especially with dust) they don't know they've touched lead and do not take adequate precautions.

Lead can be handled safely but I still avoid it where I can. As Matthew notes, there's a non toxic solution that's just as simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Baldock
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Only the person doing the mod needs to wash their hands. I guess if you bought the lead, unwrapped it and left it on the side for a few days before doing the mod children might wander up and touch it. But that is no different then if you took out the bleach from your washing cupboard, took the lid off and then left it there. In both cases it is not the fault of the substances for any harm, it is the person that left it there that should have been more careful. There are a tonne of other things in every house that are far more dangerous then lead, but are safe because they are treated with care. This is no different. *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.