GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Grit rolling two dice for movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Slane
msg tools
If this question has already been answered then please just point me towards the existing answer.

If I use a grit to roll two dice for movement, and both dice turn up 1, does that mean i recover a single grit for each of the 1s rolled? or do i total the roll count, so its more like a rolled a single 2 than double 1s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its based off the total roll so you only recover a Grit on a single 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that you are considered to be rolling a single die twice. The rules state you can never reroll a die more than once, so in this case if you roll a 1, you can spend the generated grit to reroll that die again, but if it comes up a one, you cannot reroll that die using it.

As an extra ability, if you are at maximum grit, you can do the same thing above, but the extra grit generated would be forfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the movement rule is this:

Roll 1 die to move. If you roll a 1, you get a grit. You may use that grit (or another one) to roll a second die and ADD that amount to your already existing movement, but that second is not a movement roll and does not produce grit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually when you roll two dice for movement, you chose one of them to go with. If that dice you choose is a 1, then yes you get a Grit (just as you would normally if you only rolled one die and it came up as a 1).

On the subject of Gritting your movement roll: There is basically no reason to do this unless you're trying to hit a specific number for an effect other than grit. First and foremost - it's illegal. You can't "accept" a roll of 1, claim the Grit for it, then use that Grit to re-roll that dice. Once you accept and apply the results of a given roll, you can't re-roll and then keep the effects generated from the results that you just cancelled with a re-roll. Secondly - even if you could do this - there is very little reason to, because Grit can be used to add D6 movement to your current move. If you roll a 1 for movement, but find that you're already at Max Grit you can spend the Grit you just got to add D6 extra movement to that 1. Re-rolling just gives you a D6, adding gives you D6 + 1 (your original roll). That's a no-brainer.

It should be noted that any 1s rolled for adding extra movement do not generate Grit.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gray
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are my notes on movement.

[2.3] Hero Movement
[2.31] Make a 1D6 Move Roll.
[2.311] If the Hero rolls more than one die for a Move Roll, then keep one die for your result, and discard the other die or dice.
[2.32] If the Move Roll result is a 1, then you may recover a grit.
[2.321] If the hero is at their Max Grit, then they may immediately use the new overflow Grit to trigger an effect.
[2.3211] Every Hero may spend Grit for a 1D6 Extra Movement Roll (this is not a Move Roll, this is an Extra Movement Roll, and the die result is a bonus to move).
[2.33] The Hero may then move up to the total number of spaces rolled on the Move Roll, plus any bonus move the Hero has gained from an extra movement rolls, abilities, equipment, a leveling up upgrade bonus chart, and <other(s)?>.

[?] Grit may be spent at any time (?) in order to make a 1D6 Extra Movement Roll. This is bonus movement. Other sources of bonus movement are not add to an Extra Movement Roll. The Hero immediately moves up to the number of spaces per the result of the Extra Movement Roll.

[*] Roll, possible re-roll triggering event (spending Grit is the most common), one may only re-roll each die once, and then apply the result of the final roll.
[*] If the cause roll triggers (rolling scavenge) an effect that is not a roll (drawing a scavenge card), then you cannot re-roll the effect or cause a different effect such as re-drawing a card.
[*] If the cause roll (rolling To Hit) triggers an effect roll (damage), then you can re-roll the effect roll.

rolling scavenge
drawing a scavenge card
[*] One could spend Grit to re-roll a Move Roll, but this would likely not be beneficial. There may be a reason generate a specific number or numbers on a Move Roll, but I do not know of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkrose50 wrote:
[?] Grit may be spent at any time (?) in order to make a 1D6 Extra Movement Roll. This is bonus movement. Other sources of bonus movement are not add to an Extra Movement Roll. The Hero immediately moves up to the number of spaces per the result of the Extra Movement Roll.

I had Jason Hill tell me offhandedly once that you can't do anything in the middle of moving, unless you have an ability that specifically says you can or must (like an Escape Test). So baring one of those situations, you technically have to decide about spending Grit for extra Movement before you actually start moving.

However if you do manage to encounter one of those exceptions, it seems reasonable to conclude that it opens up a time-frame where you could use items/abilities, at least until that exception was resolved and movement resumed (for example, if you failed an Escape Test against a Slasher with a Spiked Shell and wanted the Preacher to give you Shield of Light before rolling your Defense against the 3 Hits you have to take in that situation). This functions similarly to how timing restrictions work regarding Healing before taking Damage. In these "mid-move pause" situations, I would allow the spending of Grit for yet more extra Movement right up until that situation was resolved (meaning: once any/all relevant dice are rolled).

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gray
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was mostly thinking about what happens if you gain a Grit when you are not determining movement.

-----

"If a Hero rolls a 1 on their Move roll, they are allowed to Recover one Grit."

Okay.

"This is the main method for Heroes getting Grit during the game."

Okay

"If a Hero is already at their Max Grit, [and gains a Grit, then] they may immediately use the new Grit on the spot, . . .."

Is this only during a Move Roll?

If anytime an "overflow" Grit is generated, then could it be immediately be spent in order to trigger an effect (this sounds reasonable, but is this intended)?

". . . usually [during a Move Roll?] to add an extra D6 to their Movement."

Then could this "overflow" Grit (or any Grit) be used at anytime to (a) gain movement, and (b) immediately use that movement?

This could add additional tactical options in combat. This would also cause shenanigans with moving away from enemies after they moved towards a Hero. So likely no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkrose50 wrote:

Then could this "overflow" Grit (or any Grit) be used at anytime to (a) gain movement, and (b) immediately use that movement?

Definitely not. You can spend overflow grit immediately, but only if it's legal to do so. You can't move when it isn't you Activation (or the movement part of your Activation), so any overflow Grit generated outside of this phase can't be used for that.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
[q="darkrose50"]So baring one of those situations, you technically have to decide about spending Grit for extra Movement before you actually start moving.
- Jee

No. You may spend a Grit after you moved but before you end your movement step. I believe what Jason meant was that you must move your model as much as you can/will before you can do anything else. I.e. if you roll a 4 for movement, you cannot move 2 spaces, make an attack, and then move again. Nor could you move 2 spaces, use some bandages, and then move the remaining 2 spaces. However, you may move the 4 spaces and then use a grit to gain additional movement. Technically, you may not move 2 spaces, use grit to roll for additional move, and then move the remaining 2 spaces plus additional from the grit. If you do anything after moving 2 of the 4 spaces, you essentially have declared you are only using 2 of your 4 movement points and you lose the 2 unused points at that point.

You don't have to decide before you start moving, however. You can decide after you have moved your model but before you are 'done moving'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:
[q="darkrose50"]So baring one of those situations, you technically have to decide about spending Grit for extra Movement before you actually start moving.
- Jee

No. You may spend a Grit after you moved but before you end your movement step. I believe what Jason meant was that you must move your model as much as you can/will before you can do anything else. I.e. if you roll a 4 for movement, you cannot move 2 spaces, make an attack, and then move again. Nor could you move 2 spaces, use some bandages, and then move the remaining 2 spaces. However, you may move the 4 spaces and then use a grit to gain additional movement. Technically, you may not move 2 spaces, use grit to roll for additional move, and then move the remaining 2 spaces plus additional from the grit. If you do anything after moving 2 of the 4 spaces, you essentially have declared you are only using 2 of your 4 movement points and you lose the 2 unused points at that point.

You don't have to decide before you start moving, however. You can decide after you have moved your model but before you are 'done moving'.

Sure, I'm OK with this. This is largely what I meant anyway - that "mid-move" stuff wasn't allowed. If you have used all available movement, but haven't decided to end the actual "Movement Step" then yes, there would be a window of opportunity to use Grit for more.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.