jibbers42 jibbers42
msg tools
Maybe I missed it, but I'd like to see a link on each game page that shows games that you might like if you like this one. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but for every game in the system it would calculate the top n games based on how people rated that game and all other games - where n is maybe 10 or something.

** What I'm NOT talking about **
I'm not looking for something that gives recommendations based on YOUR ratings. While I think that would be nice and great for those that have rated dozens of games, I'm not sure if it really helps the casual gamer; the vast majority of people that would get use out of the feature I'm suggesting. Maybe I'm wrong about how many ratings you need to have placed before this type of system becomes useful, but it still would be nice to get recommendations just based on a game you like - even if you have never rated any games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be something like this, but it was removed some time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Hoya wrote:
There used to be something like this, but it was removed some time ago.

That is correct. It was retired because the original algorithm was more of a running joke; the replacement was a bit more clever, but the success rate of only occasionally returning a possible interesting title caused it to be withdrawn over the years. The best alternative this site offers is Geekbuddies; after that it's the occasional geeklist; and after that you can just ask some random number generator to create a game ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically: this is not as easy to do as you might think.

The simplest version of the method you describe would lead to, for instance, Dominion and 7 Wonders being on the recommendation lists for most games on the site. Why? Because for almost any game you pick, lots of people who liked it also liked Dominion.

There are some obvious ways to compensate for that, but it still takes a lot of doing to get to actually good recommendations.

I think it would be a neat feature too, but it's not as easy (or as neutral) a process as making charts of which games have the highest overall ratings or the most owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jibbers42 jibbers42
msg tools
I figured this must be the problem. Well if my simplified version is a pipe dream, then maybe the full system that takes your votes into account would be worth trying? Maybe it requires less votes than I would imagine to be useful.

aside: I has assumed I would be emailed on updates since I subscribed to the thread - it just realized I needed to change my notification preferences. (aside's aside: those options are odd, why turn off site notifications to get email... and what is GeekMail?? (rhetorical, just expressing some issues for new users))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mitchell
Canada
Bethany
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Because for almost any game you pick, lots of people who liked it also liked Dominion.

There are some obvious ways to compensate for that, but it still takes a lot of doing to get to actually good recommendations.

Here's what I would suggest. Generate the list based on the common user ratings. This list would have Dominion and 7 Wonders for every game.

Then narrow the list by mechanisms. If I looked for similar games to Forbidden Island, it wouldn't bring up Dominion since it only shares 1 mechanisms and others may share more.

Recommendations could be further narrowed by weight. Default suggestions would be of a similar weight, but it would also be nice to have input whether you want recommendations for heavier or lighter games. Users could look for similar games that are more difficult or if they want to introduce a new gamer find something similar to a game they like that is lighter.

This could also be implemented as part of the advanced search. The advanced search already has options for selecting weight, players, mechanisms, play time, categories, etc. Could add an option on this page to add similar game.

This is still a lot of work and testing. Would also need to determine the placement and design of the UI on the game page. In the meantime, I would try checking out "GeekLists with This Game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
playr2 wrote:

This is still a lot of work and testing.

... and in the end it wouldn't work.

If Amazon with resources a thousand times that of BGG can only produce laughable "suggestions" I wouldn't bother as a smaller company.

The reason it won't work is because taste is a funny thing that can't be reduced to just numbers. I've been gaming with the same people for decades and I still regularly come across situations where

- a game I thought would work well with the group totally bombed
- a game I thought a particular person would like would turn out to be disliked - and vice-versa
- I don't like a game someone else thought I would like - and I find it hard to explain why.

Removing the suggestions was one of the smarter things BGG did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jibbers42 wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but I'd like to see a link on each game page that shows games that you might like if you like this one. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but for every game in the system it would calculate the top n games based on how people rated that game and all other games - where n is maybe 10 or something.

On the game page, got to the Ratings tab. To the right below the breakdown graph, there's a link named View Similar Rated Games (here: for Flash Point: Fire Rescue).

Change the minimum number of ratings to 500, and the min. average rating to 8, and you get a nice list of 15 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.