Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read the rules thoroughly yet, but I've looked through them and I can't find any reference to these miniatures. How are they used?

The rulebook says you always use all four turtles regardless of player-count, so when would you ever use the turtles as allies? (I think the turtle ally cards were kickstarter exclusives).

My guess is that I can swap out a turtle miniature (and dice) for Casey, Splinter, or April when I set-up, and in this case the absent turtle can be used as an ally. Is this correct? If so, is it referenced in any of the adventure books or rulebook?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some allies are specifically referenced as rewards for specific scenarios. The Turtles are not. You can use any 4 heroes in any scenario. As for when to use non-specified allies, I was planning on giving the heroes an Ally whenever the Villain uses Bebop and Rocksteady as Enhanced Bruisers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Adam78 wrote:
The rulebook says you always use all four turtles regardless of player-count, so when would you ever use the turtles as allies?

I think they should have had the rulebook say "a total of four heroes" instead of "all four turtles," but since only the turtles are included in the retail version, maybe they decided to explain that in the expansion packs instead. Anyway, yes, you can swap them 1-for-1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the KS campaign included extra content but not the rules to use them? Just the retail rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
BlackSheep wrote:
So the KS campaign included extra content but not the rules to use them? Just the retail rulebook?

My guess would be they assumed that all Kickstarter backers would have followed the kickstarter's comments and updates. If they had they would have known to just swap them out one for one.

That doesn't account for all the people buying the Kickstarter version on the secondary market. As Scott said, hopefully they'll have the rules for how to use them in the expansion packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
BlackSheep wrote:

Well, it did contain an extra book of adventure comics, and that does explain (to an extent) enhanced minions and the MOUSERS. But no, it does not give specific instructions about the heroes. Honestly, I never even gave it a second thought, as it seems clear to swap them out 1-for-1...I'm not sure the question was ever explicitly asked until now. I'm such a homebrew guy that I overlook the fact that lots of people adhere strictly to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:

Well, it did contain an extra book of adventure comics, and that does explain (to an extent) enhanced minions and the MOUSERS. But no, it does not give specific instructions about the heroes. Honestly, I never even gave it a second thought, as it seems clear to swap them out 1-for-1...I'm not sure the question was ever explicitly asked until now. I'm such a homebrew guy that I overlook the fact that lots of people adhere strictly to the rules.

Yeah, I backed the Kickstarter but I don't bother to follow updates so I missed all that. It was slightly confusing at first because I didn't know if the April figure etc were intended for use when using her as an ally, but one-for-one hero swaps makes sense. The package could've done with a short clarification, e.g. To explain how to use new heroes, turtle allies, human bebop & rocksteady etc.

The scenario books and rules are otherwise very well presented (errors aside - as noted in online errata/FAQ. I was very pleased with the overall package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the rulebook only says Turtles (because they are the only Heros in the retail version), the adventure comics only specify "Heroes" while #3 makes a point that Splinter cannot be a playable hero or ally and #4 does the same for Casey Jones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fairfax
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:
While the rulebook only says Turtles (because they are the only Heros in the retail version), the adventure comics only specify "Heroes" while #3 makes a point that Splinter cannot be a playable hero or ally and #4 does the same for Casey Jones.
So you cannot play as Casey Jones? He is only an Ally?

Just trying to clarify, this is going to be an important point for a guy in my group who has cosplayed Casey Jones in the past.

I don't own the game yet, trying to make a decision between "The Works" and retail versions and I'm trying to figure out how "Heroes" work vs "Ally"s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yoyoson wrote:
HotHeart wrote:

Just trying to clarify, this is going to be an important point for a guy in my group who has cosplayed Casey Jones in the past.

I don't own the game yet, trying to make a decision between "The Works" and retail versions and I'm trying to figure out how "Heroes" work vs "Ally"s.

It seems that you can play Casey Jones as a hero in any scenario, except for those where he is expressly prohibited (see above).

This is not covered in the rulebook (since Casey is not in the basic set), and it would have been useful to have some sort of document explaining when he (and other alternate heroes) can be used. But a common sense approach seems to suggest you can use these heroes freely instead of the turtles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fairfax
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
yoyoson wrote:
HotHeart wrote:

It seems that you can play Casey Jones as a hero in any scenario, except for those where he is expressly prohibited (see above).

This is not covered in the rulebook (since Casey is not in the basic set), and it would have been useful to have some sort of document explaining when he (and other alternate heroes) can be used. But a common sense approach seems to suggest you can use these heroes freely instead of the turtles.
Thanks Adam.
And for those who were following my train of thought, I realized after more careful inspection of the kickstarter page that Casey Jones is included in the retail box and he is not a "The Works" exclusive.

EDIT: wait a minute.. The retail box might not include everything that was in the "Not-The-Works" kickstarter version. And I think the "Not-The-Works" KS version contained Casey Jones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yoyoson wrote:

EDIT: wait a minute.. The retail box might not include everything that was in the "Not-The-Works" kickstarter version. And I think the "Not-The-Works" KS version contained Casey Jones.

The Retail Box just has the four turtles as Heroes, along with 4 adventures, the bad guys, the base allies, etc. The other heroes will eventually be released as separate "hero packs" but we don't know the price or release date yet.

The "Not-the-Works" Kickstarter box has the Retail Box + Playable Casey + Playable April + some extra scenarios, allies, and misc kick starter stuff.

The Works has all that plus Playable Splinter, a ton of extra minis (Bebop, Rocksteady, and a ton of mousers) and more. There are several inventories of the various boxes floating around.

If playable Casey Jones is a make-or-break item for your group you either want some version of the kickstarter or the retail box plus the promised Casey Jones hero pack. As the Hero Packs haven't hit retail yet we don't know when that will drop.

Playable Casey is awesome, if your buddy is worried. Not necessary, but awesome if you have him. His move that lets him hit bad guys so hard they don't respawn really changes how some scenarios work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.