Popular Tags: [View All]
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some questions about the special powers of adventures and 1 other question.

Diver:
Quote:
Move through 1 or more adjacent flooded and/or missing tiles for 1 action. (Must end your turn on a tile.)

1) Does it take 1 action to move into the flooded/missing tile and another to move out for a total of 2? It says "through" so I would think it was only 1 action to do both. But then it has the stuff in parenthesis which suggests that people might try to stop on a missing tile space; how would you get there if it didn't take 1 to move to the missing tile space and another to move out?

2) When you move through the missing or flooded tile, can you change direction or must you go in a straight line?

3) Can you move through two missing tiles for 2 actions without stopping on a tile after the first action?

Engineer:
Quote:
Shore up to 2 tiles for 1 action.

4) Do the tiles both have to be normally accessible (on or adjacent) or can one be accessible and the second next to the first?

Navigator:
Quote:
Move another player up to 2 adjacent tiles for 1 action.

5) When moving the pilot via the navigator can he fly to any tile on the island per his special power which says, "Once per turn, fly to any t9le on the island for 1 action?"

6) When moving the explorer via the navigator can he move diagonally per his special power which says, "Move ... diagonally?"

7) When moving the diver via the navigator can he move through flooded and/or missing tiles per his special power (see quote above question 1)?

Note when considering questions #5-7, the pilot, explorer, and diver can all use their special power to get to safety if they are on a tile that sinks. See the section titled "Pawns on Flooded Tiles" in the rules for specifics.

Hand Limit:
Quote:
2.Draw 2 Treasure Deck Cards
.... Draw cards 1 at a time. ....
Hand Limit
You may only have 5 cards in your hand, .... If you ever ... have 6 or more cards ... you must immediately choose rand discard the excess ....

8) If you have 5 cards before you start drawing, do you (a) draw 1, then discard 1, then draw 2nd card, then discard another? Or do you (b) draw 2 then discard 2? If (a) then you would never have more than 6 so why do the rules say "6 or more". But if (b) then why say "1 at a time"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Diver can move thru multiple flooded or sunken tiles (that are adjacent to each other) with just 1 action, it doesn't take an action to go in and another to get out. You can stop on a flooded tile if you want to take another action, but that means your move ends there. When moving thru flodded/sunken tiles or exiting to dry land you can change directions and it still counts as a single action, but it has to be a valid move direction (i.e. not a diagonal).

So if you have this situation (where D is the Diver, F is a flooded tile and X is a dry tile)...

XX
FFFXO
DFFFX
FFFXO
XX

... the Diver can move from his starting position to any of the X tiles with just one action, but he cannot "emerge" directly into the to the "O" tiles

With the Engineer, you can shore 1 or 2 tiles with a single action, but both tiles must be within reach, that is, either be under his feet or orthogonally adjacent. If you can only reach one flooded tile, you cannot shore more than one with that action. (that's what the sandbags are there for, to shore tiles that are out of your current reach).

The power of the Navigator allows only to MOVE other players, but you cannot activate their skills if it would normally take an action. The navigator cannot make the engineer shore tiles, make the pilot jump, or the messenger send cards for example. However, the abilities of the explorer and diver affect their normal movement rules without spending an extra action, so the Navigator can move the explorer diagonally and move the diver over flooded and even sunken tiles (but the distance moved is just one or two tiles as stated on the card, not over multiple flooded tiles as the Diver's normal ability would allow, and cannot end on a sunken tile).

"Draw cards 1 at a time", the wording on the rules in this or any other game should be taken literally (and by "literally" I don't mean "figuratively") So no, if you already have 5 cards by the time when you need to draw 2 more, you cannot draw 2 new cards and then decide what to keep... you draw 1 and discard something, then draw another one and then discard again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
The Diver can move thru multiple flooded or sunken tiles (that are adjacent to each other) with just 1 action, it doesn't take an action to go in and another to get out. You can stop on a flooded tile if you want to take another action, but that means your move ends there. When moving thru flodded/sunken tiles or exiting to dry land you can change directions and it still counts as a single action, but it has to be a valid move direction (i.e. not a diagonal).

So if you have this situation (where D is the Diver, F is a flooded tile and X is a dry tile)...

XX
FFFXO
DFFFX
FFFXO
XX

... the Diver can move from his starting position to any of the X tiles with just one action, but he cannot "emerge" directly into the to the "O" tiles

With the Engineer, you can shore 1 or 2 tiles with a single action, but both tiles must be within reach, that is, either be under his feet or orthogonally adjacent. If you can only reach one flooded tile, you cannot shore more than one with that action. (that's what the sandbags are there for, to shore tiles that are out of your current reach).

The power of the Navigator allows only to MOVE other players, but you cannot activate their skills if it would normally take an action. The navigator cannot make the engineer shore tiles, make the pilot jump, or the messenger send cards for example. However, the abilities of the explorer and diver affect their normal movement rules without spending an extra action, so the Navigator can move the explorer diagonally and move the diver over flooded and even sunken tiles (but the distance moved is just one or two tiles as stated on the card, not over multiple flooded tiles as the Diver's normal ability would allow, and cannot end on a sunken tile).

"Draw cards 1 at a time", the wording on the rules in this or any other game should be taken literally (and by "literally" I don't mean "figuratively") So no, if you already have 5 cards by the time when you need to draw 2 more, you cannot draw 2 new cards and then decide what to keep... you draw 1 and discard something, then draw another one and then discard again.

Thanks. This is very helpful. Let me clarify my understanding and you can give me more feedback if necessary.

rainbowrose wrote:
I have some questions about the special powers of adventures and 1 other question.

Diver:
Quote:
Move through 1 or more adjacent flooded and/or missing tiles for 1 action. (Must end your turn on a tile.)

1) Does it take 1 action to move into the flooded/missing tile and another to move out for a total of 2? It says "through" so I would think it was only 1 action to do both. But then it has the stuff in parenthesis which suggests that people might try to stop on a missing tile space; how would you get there if it didn't take 1 to move to the missing tile space and another to move out?

only 1 action to do both move into and out of water

Quote:
2) When you move through the missing or flooded tile, can you change direction or must you go in a straight line?

you can change direction orthogonally but not diagonally

Quote:
3) Can you move through two missing tiles for 2 actions without stopping on a tile after the first action?

You can move through any number of flooded/missing tiles for 1 action

Quote:
Engineer:
Quote:
Shore up to 2 tiles for 1 action.

4) Do the tiles both have to be normally accessible (on or adjacent) or can one be accessible and the second next to the first?

Both must be under your feet or adjacent

Quote:
Navigator:
Quote:
Move another player up to 2 adjacent tiles for 1 action.

5) When moving the pilot via the navigator can he fly to any tile on the island per his special power which says, "Once per turn, fly to any tile on the island for 1 action?"

This was not answered. But because 6 and 7 are yes, I will go with yes. Edit: NO

Quote:
6) When moving the explorer via the navigator can he move diagonally per his special power which says, "Move ... diagonally?"

Yes

Quote:
7) When moving the diver via the navigator can he move through flooded and/or missing tiles per his special power (see quote above question 1)?

Yes but only 1 or 2 water tiles

Quote:
Note when considering questions #5-7, the pilot, explorer, and diver can all use their special power to get to safety if they are on a tile that sinks. See the section titled "Pawns on Flooded Tiles" in the rules for specifics.

Hand Limit:
Quote:
2.Draw 2 Treasure Deck Cards
.... Draw cards 1 at a time. ....
Hand Limit
You may only have 5 cards in your hand, .... If you ever ... have 6 or more cards ... you must immediately choose rand discard the excess ....

8) If you have 5 cards before you start drawing, do you (a) draw 1, then discard 1, then draw 2nd card, then discard another? Or do you (b) draw 2 then discard 2? If (a) then you would never have more than 6 so why do the rules say "6 or more". But if (b) then why say "1 at a time"?

Draw 1, discard, draw 2nd, discard is what you said I think.
But then why does it say "6 or more"? You would never have more than 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The navigator cannot make the pilot jump anywhere, because that's an ability that requires activation and is different from his regular movement rules (he can only move the pilot one or two spaces orthogonally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I edited my clarification post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Harris
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Per this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/7680263#7680263

mleacock wrote:
mathgrant wrote:

So, a question: assuming the rule is "draw both treasure cards at once, and then discard down to 5", and the last card in the treasure deck is a special action card, do I get the option of using it before reshuffling the discards and drawing one more card? This would have the effect of adding the card to the recycled deck and allowing it to get used again, and if said card is the Helicopter Lift we need to win the game and the water meter is one tick mark away from death, then it would give us the chance to win before risking drawing a Waters Rise as the second card (and losing). I would expect the answer to be "yes", for some reason, but I need to hear it from Matt Leacock, especially since I just made a thread summarizing and linking to various rules clarifications he has posted on the forums, including this thread, and readers of my thread would greatly benefit from having the information in this one.

The "one-at-a-time" language in the rules is meant to make it easier to digest Waters Rise events which have no effect on hand count. I've always played that the two cards drawn at the end of the turn could be evaluated side-by-side so players could make a better informed choice as to which one they should discard. This side-by-side evaluation is meant to be a benefit, not a burden. If you draw the last card out of the deck and it's a Helicopter or Sandbag and you'd like to play it before the reshuffle, then by all means, knock yourself out. Discard the card, reshuffle the discard and draw your second card.

Hope that helps!

- Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.