GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,018 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Game "Hook" - Seeking Opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you play this game based on this paragraph?
Quote:

In the “Heartland” of America, the decades-long drought and federal government’s dissolution has created hard times for many. Hard times can bring opportunity. Several Mississippi River cities are planning to use recent hardship to better their own situation.

In “Heartland” you’ll use water allocations from the regional water bureau and gathered materials from the area to help your city stand out in the region as a new population hub and center for commerce. This is an opportunity for your formerly depressed city to rise to the top. You must balance farming with gathering as you deal with the water bureau, the elements, and neighboring cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun game, but I shy away from themes that feel too real and/or grim, and this feels like it could be something I see in my lifetime, so I probably wouldn't want to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Mattes
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly this feels like a description I would see on a PoD on GameCrafter. The mythology that you are creating feels weak if not forced and the description of Gameplay feels very tacked on. Nothing about the story belayed any sense of urgency or my position in the grand scheme of things. It also does very little for world building. If this is a resource management game and that is the Hook I would pass. What kind of game is this? I would love to help spruce this up a bit because it feels like there is something there it is just a hint though and not the gusto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

It is a euro-style game where players bid for water rights (water is a spendable resource), manage that and other resources through farming, gathering, and building, and ultimately try to bring their city the most money in the end.

There is player interaction in the bidding process (think Cyclades) and you can spy on your opponents to see if they are stealing water. You can steal water or you can purchase it legally. If you get caught stealing, the spy is rewarded and you are penalized.

The game follows a 3-year calendar. Events are flipped every round (season) that change the market, the actions spaces, or something else in the game. The events have an "already-not yet) mechanic where someething happens then, and maybe "next winter."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Mattes
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me an evening to whip up a proper hook, I'll get back to you. I assume this is future or parallel reality events?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parallel reality/alternate history

It takes place in the area of the country near SE Missouri, W KY, South Ill, and NW Tenn - the area I'm from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gut feeling is that it seems too close to now and close enough to modern day midwest that it just has no impact at all.

Considering the desert background of the middle east was tweaked to give us the background for Dune (with the addition of the all-important Spice), giving it another background with the pressure of the importance of water and the battle for the precious resource needs to come through would seem like a better idea, or make it a far different time period (old west or future but everything has fallen apart - like the Mad Max series of movies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
Gut feeling is that it seems too close to now and close enough to modern day midwest that it just has no impact at all.

Thanks for your ideas. I think I'm fairly latched onto the place for the game. I can make it more future than it is already. I am definitely going for the "close, but not really" idea. I want this to feel real enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fish
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Quote:
It is a time of unrest in 1920s Europa. The ashes from the first great war still darken the snow. The capitalistic city-state known simply as “The Factory”, which fueled the war with heavily armored mechs, has closed its doors, drawing the attention of several nearby countries.

Scythe is a Worker Placement/Economic Engine board game set in an alternate-history 1920s period. It is a time of farming and war, broken hearts and rusted gears, innovation and valor. In Scythe, each player represents a character from one of five factions of Eastern Europa who are attempting to earn their fortune and claim their faction's stake in the land around the mysterious Factory. Players conquer territory, enlist new recruits, reap resources, gain villagers, build structures, and activate monstrous mechs.

This is the description of Scythe. I'm hooked. Yours I'm not so much. This is likely because of the descriptive language used. "The ashes from the first great war still darken the snow." Immediately I can picture that. I can imagine how the war ravaged the countryside, see how the landscape has changed, and life in general must have changed etc.

I'm thinking you need to add that bit of punch to your description as well. Instead of outright telling people "Drought....has created hard times for many", describe a specific event that would get us to infer that for ourselves.

Also, the way it's worded makes it seem like the decades-long drought and federal government's dissolution are common knowledge, when it is not. I think it needs to be described more directly..."The government has dissolved, or there has been a drought for decades"...something like that.

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
thephish99 wrote:
I'm thinking you need to add that bit of punch to your description as well. Instead of outright telling people "Drought....has created hard times for many", describe a specific event that would get us to infer that for ourselves.

Check out The Worst Hard Time for descriptions of what it was like to live in the Dust Bowl in the 1920s. Should be very inspiring (and horrifying).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Scythe was an inspiration for sure. I wanted to bring that same feel to this country, which a different problem. The mechanics of the game are completely different, but the feel of the game is supposed to be similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Decades of drought have made life hard in America’s “Heartland.” Hard times can bring opportunity. Five once-depressed cities now search for a ray of hope.

What say you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Fish
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
It's better. I don't think you need quotes for Heartland. "Hard times can bring opportunity" is too vague. What kind of opportunities are there? What will i be doing in the game?

I know you're tied to the location, but I'm wondering what interest level anyone outside of the states would have in this. I would worry the answer is, not much.

Also, I don't think you should describe it as specifically 5 cities. What happens in a 3 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of players doesn't matter too much with the story. Folks outside the states may have a similar level of interest that folks in the states had about playing a game based in Anywhere, Europe (which is most euros)

What you do in the game is in the second paragraph, which is above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chipmafia wrote:
Quote:
Decades of drought have made life hard in America’s “Heartland.” Hard times can bring opportunity. Five once-depressed cities now search for a ray of hope.

What say you?

It's not America's heartland anymore if there's no America anymore, so that should go in the past tense. Also, I say ride that metaphor into the ground and use whatever cardiac analogy makes the most sense:

Quote:
What was once known as America's Heartland is nearly flatlining - decades of drought, the collapse of governments and crumbling economy have taken their toll. Five desparate cities think they can get the Heartland pumping again, but are they too late?

And using "pumping" there ties into the importance of water in the game, as that is the Heartland's lifeblood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Definitely some ideas there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.