Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received this email stating that The Great War is now available on Steam and is currently on 10% discount until January 26.

http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e70ef7ea45c2513f091548f6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked it up and played part of a intro scenario. Gorgeously done. So happy I sold my tabletop version as for solo play, this is a better solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
I just received this email stating that The Great War is now available on Steam and is currently on 10% discount until January 15.

Hmmm...the sale is over. I've heard that Steam is problematic with ads, viruses, etc.? I do like the game though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
derp de doo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
I just received this email stating that The Great War is now available on Steam and is currently on 10% discount until January 15.

Hmmm...the sale is over. I've heard that Steam is problematic with ads, viruses, etc.? I do like the game though...

ads and viruses? I have never heard that before.
The only thing "negative" I have heard about it is that it is not open source.... but that is not really a mainstream concern to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Woodcock
Australia
TAMPA
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good so far (after first scenario only).

The 10% off is until 26th January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Caro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already played the 5 scenarios of the Loos offensive on Steam. All of them against the German AI-General, a kind of normal level (you can choose between three levels). I easily won all five scenarios cool I don't consider my self an expert player of The Great War. I guess the AI will improve in the future.

(I finally lost my first game playing as German against the AI-Field Marshall at Somme... after 9 wins playing as British and Canadian)

The game has still some minor glitches, mainly with Combat Cards. The fight sounds like you're playing with metal toys. Well, actually you're playing with toys Hope this will be also improved.

But in general, I think this is a promising adaptation of the board game. For people used to play war video games, the flow might seem obsolete. You must then remember this is first a board game, so... take it easy.

And now, looking forward to Tanks ! (on Steam) and the French Army expansion (Verdun !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:

Well, you will see adds in certain parts of Steam interface itself, but not in games. I have never heard anything about viruses, though of course that is always a possibility with anything on the internet . ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
I am happy I bought it, but unhappy with the interface. Twilight Struggle did it better and should be looked at on how to handle cards. Yes clicking on them should bring them up, but you should also be able to drag them out quicker. The animation of drawing cards and how long they sometimes remain on the screen can be irritating. Also to not have all cards visible at the same time on the bottom of the screen is a bit of a shame. They could be made smaller and fit every card in there all visible all the time. I guess altering the cards graphics might be out of the question, so maybe that won't work.

I hope this gets polished up, the bugs will be removed and its interface will be perpetually improved. Really like the game.

I was hoping however to have the ability to play with tanks already in the initial release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breitschwert wrote:
I am happy I bought it, but unhappy with the interface. Twilight Struggle did it better and should be looked at on how to handle cards. Yes clicking on them should bring them up, but you should also be able to drag them out quicker. The animation of drawing cards and how long they sometimes remain on the screen can be irritating. Also to not have all cards visible at the same time on the bottom of the screen is a bit of a shame. They could be made smaller and fit every card in there all visible all the time. I guess altering the cards graphics might be out of the question, so maybe that won't work.

I hope this gets polished up, the bugs will be removed and its interface will be perpetually improved. Really like the game.

I was hoping however to have the ability to play with tanks already in the initial release.

Agreed, but what has been even more frustrating for me is the lack of an undo button when moving. I'm playing this on a Surface Pro 3, and more than once I have accidentally moved units while trying to scroll around the map with the touchscreen. I would also appreciate a pinch-zoom feature for touch interfaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
Breitschwert wrote:

Agreed, but what has been even more frustrating for me is the lack of an undo button when moving. I'm playing this on a Surface Pro 3, and more than once I have accidentally moved units while trying to scroll around the map with the touchscreen. I would also appreciate a pinch-zoom feature for touch interfaces.

+1 to Undo button... especially when you select a card. Anything up to the die rolls should be undoable.

I would think that for the touch interface like the Surface, the OS should handle converting the "touch" to the corresponding mouse action automatically and the developer would need to do nothing. iOS and Android are clearly different and coding for them something else. But Surface is running Windows 10 and seems that zoom would be tied to the mousewheel action directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Mr_Tricorder wrote:
Breitschwert wrote:

+1 to Undo button... especially when you select a card. Anything up to the die rolls should be undoable.

I would think that for the touch interface like the Surface, the OS should handle converting the "touch" to the corresponding mouse action automatically and the developer would need to do nothing. iOS and Android are clearly different and coding for them something else. But Surface is running Windows 10 and seems that zoom would be tied to the mousewheel action directly.

I've been able to undo card selection by clicking (or in my case, tapping) on the card or the white X to the right of the selected card(s).

I'm not sure how it's done, but pinch-zoom works in other games like Memoir '44 Online. If it's done by the OS tying the zoom function directly to the mousewheel action, then I don't see why it would work in that game and not in The Great War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
So...how does it (TGW) work on a PC running Win 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Mr_Tricorder wrote:

I also agree it needs an undo button. As a newcomer it has happened quite frequently that I have selected units, which were then unable to battle (before a dice-roll). I guess an indicator or warning that these units will be unable to battle, unless other ones can kill the close combat units first, would be nice.

I also need an undo button for when I select a card to discard at the end of a turn (the red ones). I want to read it and maybe not discard them. Not sure how to do that, yet, as no buttons pop up. Clicking on them twice (first for zoom) will discard them on the second click.

MayorJim wrote:
So...how does it (TGW) work on a PC running Win 7?

I am running it on Windows 7 and it works fine. There are some bugs related to the interface, when you select cards in a weird order (as in you don't know the turn sequence, yet), but otherwise it works fine. Performance is great. I really hope they find a way to make it so you can click on cards to skip the "here read it for some time before we continue the game". Clicking on a card should probably acknowledge that you have read it and continue on with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Breitschwert wrote:
I guess an indicator or warning that these units will be unable to battle, unless other ones can kill the close combat units first, would be nice.

When you go to move units, the locations are shaded. White hexes means you can move and battle. Green means move your limit, but no battle.

Not sure if this shows when you're selecting units as an option, but if you hover over your units, it does tell you how far they can move and battle, so in that case it's like the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Breitschwert wrote:
I guess an indicator or warning that these units will be unable to battle, unless other ones can kill the close combat units first, would be nice.

When you go to move units, the locations are shaded. White hexes means you can move and battle. Green means move your limit, but no battle.

Not sure if this shows when you're selecting units as an option, but if you hover over your units, it does tell you how far they can move and battle, so in that case it's like the board game.

Actually, that would be better than the board game in that you don't need to refer to a movement chart...even if only occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only C&C game I do not have and after playing the Steam version, must say I think I will grab a hard copy now.(and to complete the collection)

Hope they keep up the great work and can't wait to see what they do with the GMT versions of Ancients & Napoleonics this year. I think HexWar did a fine job on 1775 and really listen to users feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Caro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished playing all the scenarios laugh. The programmers have a lot of work to do in order to improve the AI, even the Field Marshall. Sometimes it's ridiculous how it sends the infantry on no-man's-land, without cover, to be massacred by machine guns. It often use artillery against units protected by trenches. A real waste of HQ tokens. There are still some minor bugs here and there (infantry unable to shoot when they are perfectly in range to do it), but they should be fixed soon I hope. All that said, I still think this is a very nice version of TGW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
montrealmovil wrote:
I've just finished playing all the scenarios laugh. The programmers have a lot of work to do in order to improve the AI, even the Field Marshall. Sometimes it's ridiculous how it sends the infantry on no-man's-land, without cover, to be massacred by machine guns. It often use artillery against units protected by trenches. A real waste of HQ tokens. There are still some minor bugs here and there (infantry unable to shoot when they are perfectly in range to do it), but they should be fixed soon I hope. All that said, I still think this is a very nice version of TGW.

Have noticed none of those issues at all. I'm 1-2 against the ai on medium level. Artilllery isn't a waste in trenches because skulls work too for that, increasing odds of a hit. Have not seen infantry not be able to shoot unless they moved too far or have an obstruction (like another unit).

I sold my physical version (such horrible minis!) when I heard this was coming. Made the right call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Caro
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
montrealmovil wrote:

Have noticed none of those issues at all. I'm 1-2 against the ai on medium level. Artilllery isn't a waste in trenches because skulls work too for that, increasing odds of a hit. Have not seen infantry not be able to shoot unless they moved too far or have an obstruction (like another unit).

I sold my physical version (such horrible minis!) when I heard this was coming. Made the right call.

You're so lucky !

Actually artillery barrages were not often deadly in WW1 because of their inaccuracy. The game try to recreate that ineffectiveness, mainly when units are in the trenches. It's true you can hit when rolling a Deadly Dice symbol, but just when you're On target. First you must be lucky enough rolling the d6s.

I would like to read the opinion of other people regarding the AI. Maybe I have been extremely lucky every time. Or maybe being a experienced C&C player helps to beat a rookie AI (even if it got Field Marshal rank) cool Anyway, I'm pretty sure the AI will become harder to beat in the near future.

PS: This is the kind of situation I was talking about in my first comment: AI sending units out of the trenches like Japanese soldiers in a Banzai charge... (with a machine gun there ready to cut them into pieces)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Orlando
United States
Ponte Vedra
Florida
flag msg tools
Smile you Son of a B*****!!!
badge
Your going to need a bigger boat....
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked it up on Steam. Love the game. I wish the real game just had memoir components and I would pick of the boxed game. Why that quality plastic for game pieces. Sad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle E
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a back button for the actions and an improvement to the AI. The AI moved units into the open well within machine gun range, nice way to get chewed up real quick. Needs a few more bugs worked out, but still a fun game, I think it was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrews
msg tools
A few questions/comments:

* Is there a forum for the PC/iPad version?
* On the iPad version, how do I use the Reserve Artillery?
* Yes, UNDO is sorely needed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.