badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new look of BGG I can't figure out how to

1) Rank a game
2) Vote on # of players, age, and weight
3) Add a game to my collection or change it's status in my collection
4) Access the quickbar

On a related note
We can vote on # of players, age, and weight. Why not playing time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Click on Edit or the stars to the right of My Rating.
2) Click on the respective info with the dotted underline.
3) Click on the leftmost button at the bottom of the black area.
4) Click on the to the upper right.

Playing time is too variable, and in some games playing time depends largely on how many people are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, with your help I figured it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:

No idea. I've been asking for that for years. The reason it would be super cool, beyond just having a crowd-sourced validation of the publishers recommendation, is that it could be two dimensional, where the time could be based on number of players. How to model a poll correctly is a bit tricky though. You simply allow people to enter an arbitrary number for each player count? Do you force them to choose from a set of time ranges? Can you differentiate between a game when one or more players are playing for the first time and a game where everyone is familiar with the game? Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:

No idea. I've been asking for that for years. The reason it would be super cool, beyond just having a crowd-sourced validation of the publishers recommendation, is that it could be two dimensional, where the time could be based on number of players. How to model a poll correctly is a bit tricky though. You simply allow people to enter an arbitrary number for each player count? Do you force them to choose from a set of time ranges? Can you differentiate between a game when one or more players are playing for the first time and a game where everyone is familiar with the game? Etc.

I think you just have everyone put their average play time as a number in minutes (or hours and minutes to make it more user friendly) and then average the numbers.

Shall we put it in the suggestions forum? Surely it has been suggested before and they would have added it this last big revision if they were going to. But if everyone thought that, nothing would get suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Playing time also can vary widely even for a specific fixed set of players depending on what optional/advanced rules are used, what scenario is being played, what armies/factions, what strategies are used by the players themselves, what random events occur during the game, what selected turn/VP limit was chosen during setup, etc.

Note that just averaging numbers can be very misleading for some wargames, which include short scenarios (e.g. 4 hours) and full campaigns (e.g. 20 hours), neither of which would last the average of 12 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
Shall we put it in the suggestions forum? Surely it has been suggested before and they would have added it this last big revision if they were going to. But if everyone thought that, nothing would get suggested.

More power to you, but I've given up on the BGG Suggestions forums after having tried too hard, too many times, lobbying in vain for improvements like this (including exactly this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gonzalez
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new design only shows up for me sporadically. For example I get the overview of a game in the new look, but once I click on Forums or any other link underlying the new design, it converts back to the old design?

Am I unaware of a setting or is this still in beta? I'd prefer the new design over the old 90s look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Justicex75 wrote:
The new design only shows up for me sporadically. For example I get the overview of a game in the new look, but once I click on Forums or any other link underlying the new design, it converts back to the old design?

Am I unaware of a setting or is this still in beta? I'd prefer the new design over the old 90s look.

This is the same for everyone.

The new design is to be rolled out across the full site in stages, rather than holding it up and trying to do it in a 'oner' Aldie and the team have opted to roll it out. This gives them the ability to respond to feedback and implement tweeks in more manageable chunks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it would be nice to have some HTTP 301s to tell us the page has moved

For example
https://boardgamegeek.com/forums/thing/175640/vinhos-deluxe-...
is the old forums. This could easily be redirected by a 301 to https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175640/vinhos-deluxe-edi...

It may not be possible to redirect the individual forums with a simple rule as they are of the form
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1613376/vinhos-deluxe-editio... (OLD) and
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175640/vinhos-deluxe-edi... (NEW)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.