Hide
9 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: why not 4 fleets with 4 asendancy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Bigness
msg tools
How come there are not 4 fleet cards? If you have 4 ascendancy shouldn't you be able to build a 4th fleet as the rules say you cant build more fleets than your ascendancy level. but you only have three fleet cards so how can you even build a 4th fleet? am I missing something, or did they not catch this during development? Any insight is welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is implicit that you cannot build more fleets than you have fleet cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Going from one ascendancy to two or two to three can be an interesting decision. Should you save your culture for colonizing or should you go down to zero so that you can build that second starbase and fleet? That sort of thing. Once you have three ascendancy though, you are largely done colonizing and building culture nodes. At that point you are just trying to earn 10 culture. So adding in a bonus for being closer to winning goes from being an interesting driving force in the early game to just helping the winner win faster in the late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyway, depending the fleets, you might be hard-pressed to fill more than 3 fleets with only 30 max ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it would be nice if there were more advantages to having 4th ascendancy other than easier time with hegemony. I think the whole 3 ascend then horde 10 tokens to win has became the meta and it is a little too strong. a 4th starbase or a 4th fleet would help. But as mentioned there is no fleet card for that nor is there a 4th fleet token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
Actually it would be nice if there were more advantages to having 4th ascendancy other than easier time with hegemony. I think the whole 3 ascend then horde 10 tokens to win has became the meta and it is a little too strong. a 4th starbase or a 4th fleet would help. But as mentioned there is no fleet card for that nor is there a 4th fleet token.

The end game needs work, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the reason for this is that you only have 30 ships -- the Klingons can already use them all up just building their three big fleets.

That's not a great reason though. A 4th fleet would be a cool thing to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools

with the forthcoming additions (crossed fingers), it might be very useful to be able to project some power in more than 3 directions. When allegiances change late in the game, it's easy to get caught with a fleet badly out of position. A 4th fleet might provide some flexibility. I wonder if GF-9 tested this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.