Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I finally got my copy of Jabba's Realm and while I was browsing through all the new goods and items I spotted something that made me doubt about the correct interpretation of what, at first sight, was obvious to me.

Vinto's starting equipment is the Hair-Trigger Pistol whose ability is

Quote:
While attacking with this weapon, you may reroll all of your attack dice.

A similar ability is on 4xp class card Rapid Fire which reads

Quote:
While attacking with a <range> weapon, you may reroll all attack and defense dice.

At first glance both abilities were pretty straightforward to me. After a dice roll, the given ability allows me to reroll a number of pertinent dice I am not happy with. Or, specific to Rapid Fire, if I am not happy with the attack roll but I am ok with the Defense one I might reroll the former only.

However when I also read Punishing Force, the 3XP nemesis imperial card, my certainty faded away.

It reads
Quote:
Exhaust this card while an Imperial figure is attacking to reroll any number of attack dice.

This is the right wording to make clear that I am allowed to select the number of dice (any) I want to reroll; no doubt.

Consequently, the first 2 abilities don't allow any level of granularity but are a kind of ALL-OR-NOTHING type of rule.

So for the pistol, if I am not happy with the yellow die but I am ok with the blue one either I keep them both or I reroll both.

Same goes for Rapid Fire: I cannot choose to reroll some of the attack dice only or some of the defense dice (or a combination of the 2 types) but if I want I must reroll all the dice of both pools.

Is that correct?

Was I the only one being tricked by the wording of Vinto's abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapid Fire is all or nothing.

Except the (attack) dice that have already been rerolled in the same attack using some other reroll ability. (Due to timing the defense dice probably cannot have been rerolled yet.)

See Ability Resolution order during attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must reroll all dice or none with those abilities (except those that have already been rerolled by other abilities).

That's true for almost all games, by the way, especially ones made by FFG. When something mentions rerolling all dice it almost always means literally all of them, not ones that you select.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds correct. You can choose to reroll all attack and defense dice if you don't like how an attack turned out compared to the defensive roll, or let it stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Simoni
Belgium
Diegem
Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks guys!!! You rock as always!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.