Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you been able to recover and re-direct your strategy when you have been targeted more than other players, or did you find yourself generally unable to win if in the early game they have taken the legs off your beginning engine?

Additional question: Do you think the game would have benefited more from a goods exchange a la 51st State Master Set rather than just getting goods through 2 people = 1 good ratio?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unless i have absolutely no use for the wood, i almost find it preferable for someone to raze my buildings instead of theirs (unless i'm playing japanese, but i'll be sure to put out some samurai for faction buildings i'm trying to bank my strategy on)

and i haven't played 51st state, but coins can be used for nearly everything resources can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, even in a 3p game if you get focused, and the other players have a good amount of raze tokens, you will definitely lose the game. i dont think you will get CRUSHED, but i do think you are out of the race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
unless i have absolutely no use for the wood, i almost find it preferable for someone to raze my buildings instead of theirs (unless i'm playing japanese, but i'll be sure to put out some samurai for faction buildings i'm trying to bank my strategy on)

and i haven't played 51st state, but coins can be used for nearly everything resources can

My question arose from a turn where the Egyptians got their 2nd production building razed (yes, they should have shielded it, but they didn't expect the Barbarians to target them yet again) and they had a bunch of resources on their board that they couldn't do anything with, so they were all going to be thrown out at the end of the turn.

They had 1 wood, 1 stone, 2 food, and 2 people, and no cards in hand...they opted to use the 2 people to draw a card because they had that many resources and maybe they'd get lucky to build something. They drew pyramids, I think, but they couldn't build it, only turn it into a gold deal, which was something but still, they were going to have to waste every other resource they had.

If the 51st State Master Set turn 2 resources into one system was in place, maybe they could have made lemonade with the bitter razing lemons, instead, they just made a deal, saved a gold for the next round and got rid of everything else, all because of brutal targeting. They were way behind on buildings compared to the other three and of course, behind in resources and cards in hand. They did have a leading amount of deals, so that was something, but probably not enough to come back and win.

Just thinking if that was way harsh to encounter on turn 2, though I'm not eager to do "peaceful variant" just because of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i dont think get razed is that bad, you receive 1 wood and the building become a foundation (unless if the building that is razed is a japanese location). So even if you cant use the wood, you still have a perfect good looking foundation to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.