GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,334 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: X-Wing S-foils (custom upgrade card) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mojak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after seeing the new U-Wing's Pivot Wing upgrade card it stroked me that we're lacking one of the most distinctive features of the X-Wing starfighter - its movable S-foil wings.
We need to fix that!

Here's my take on this upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
S-foils have been thrown around quite a bit, also in order to make a "fix" for the T-65 X-Wing. Buuut ... this particular upgrade wouldn't really make sense for the T-70, and "X-Wing only" also makes it available to the T-70. Thematically, that would be somewhat unfortunate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the T-65 pilot cards you will see that the ship is called just "X-Wing". I think that's the proper way to address upgrade cards limitations: "X-Wing" means T-65 only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
najpersklaka wrote:
If you look at the T-65 pilot cards you will see that the ship is called just "X-Wing". I think that's the proper way to address upgrade cards limitations: "X-Wing" means T-65 only.

I'm sure there's a way to address just the T-65, but with your current wording, it'd need an additional restriction. Have a look at the Lightweight Frame or Twin Ion Engine Mk. II cards. They say "TIE only", which means that all the ships that have "TIE" in their name have access to them.

About the card itself, it sounds neat. I guess it wouldn't be too strong either - not being able to shoot is quite a drawback.

I do think that thematically, S-foils, if they are added to the game, should be available to all X-Wings anyway. They're all X-Wings after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it - gives a little flair to the rugged T-65.

To limit to the old x-wing, you could have something like "you cannot equip this card if you have [boost icon] in your action bar."
or "you cannot equip this card if you have the [tech slot] upgrade."
Maybe even "you cannot equip this card if you have "T-70" in your ship name."

Similar to things like, "you can only equip this if you have [missile] and [torpedo] upgrades."

It's difficult to give the old x-wing a [non-literal] boost without subsequently affecting the T-70... However, as haslo stated, the T-70 would have no business equipping this title card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lyons
msg tools
Why would it matter if this card doesn't have a restriction against the
T-70? It has no effect on that X-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
[q="najpersklaka"]Have a look at the Lightweight Frame or Twin Ion Engine Mk. II cards. They say "TIE only", which means that all the ships that have "TIE" in their name have access to them.

Good point. Forgot about this card.

But still, as the Singol said - if there's no restriction for T-70 you just don't have to equip this card.

I'm going to make a separate S-foils card just for T-70, that would fit the modern X-Wing starfigher, when I get back from work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, it's been a long day.
But here I am, with a new card.

As far as I know the T-70 could fire with the wings in closed position.
Also the card needed something more than just a boost action. So it has a free boost action.
And since it's way better than the previous one, it costs 2 squad points instead of 0.

As you can see I skipped the "title" category of this upgrade. Otherwise you couldn't equip both S-foils and the Black One title. It would be a shame.
The way I see it that the S-foils are no fancy upgrade and every X-Wing have them. So this card take no upgrade slots, no Title nor Modification slot.

Also, here's updated T-65 S-foil card without the "title" category.

Apparently the newest versions of T-65 could also shoot with locked S-foils, but I couldn't find the information about the exact models with that feature.
If someone could share his knowledge, we can make another S-foils card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reference I know of a T-65 model firing with S-Foils closed is from the Wraith Squadron series of books. But it sounded like earlier models could too, despite the computer games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.