GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2017/01/19/Lawmakers...

Quote:
Pro-police blue lines cause controversey in N.J. towns

Two New Jersey congressmen have introduced legislation to allow towns to paint strips of blue on roadways to honor police after regulators said the tributes crossed the line of federal safety rules.

Republican U.S. Rep. Leonard Lance and Democratic U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell introduced legislation Tuesday to permit the blue lines that have sprung up in towns around the state and elsewhere after more than 100 police officers were killed in the line of duty nationally last year.

The thin blue line traditionally represents the role law enforcement serves, standing between law-abiding citizens and criminals. Communities saw this as an appropriate way to thank officers and others for their efforts and the sacrifices they make.

But after an official in Somerset County wrote to the Federal Highway Administration to get clarification about whether the blue lines painted between the double yellow lines in the center of roadways were permitted, agency officials informed them that the lines don't comply with the provisions of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways. That manual defines the standards for such devices on all public roadways, bikeways and private roads open to public travel.

"We appreciate and understand the efforts by local governments and others that convey support for law enforcement officers," FHA spokesman Neil Gaffney said. "However, the yellow lines down the center of a road are meant to control traffic and modification of that marking could cause confusion, accidents and fatalities. Our number one priority is the safety of all drivers."
So we're altering standard traffic representations for the sake of moral posturing and virtue signalling. Lovely. I'm sure New Jersey towns have very little else to spend their time on, except... well... everything that makes their state terrible.

Quote:
Noting that 135 police officers were killed in the line of duty last year, Pascrell and Lance said "communities should be able to honor law enforcement without the federal government's telling them no."

"If you look up the word 'bureaucracy,' you will find the (standards manual)," said James Batelli, police chief in Mahwah, where a 150-foot blue line has been painted near the police department's headquarters.

He said transportation officials should have more important things to address than blue lines painted on roadways.

"This should be very low on the list of priorities, and it probably shouldn't even be on the list," he said.
LOL. So... "bureacrats" telling him it's a safety hazard apparently have "more important things to address." Unlike the folks who decided it was a great use of funds to paint blue stripes on the road. Uh-huh. Okay. Irony meter off the charts. "This should be very low on the list of priorities."

Quote:
James Pasco, executive director of the Washington-based Fraternal Order of Police, the largest law enforcement labor organization in the United States with more than 330,000 members, derided the letter from federal regulators as bureaucratic overreach.

"Any driver who gets confused by the color of the line is a confused driver," Pasco said. "It's a lot safer to have a blue line in the middle of the street than it is for police officers to get shot at."
I'm not even sure I know what that last sentence means. So... an unnecessary, politically-motivated blue line painted on the road is "safer" than... ummm... shooting cops? Is that it? So it has to be an either-or? Either we paint blue lines on roads, or cops get shot? Is that it?

Meaningless public displays of enforced morality aside: Lines on the road mean things. If you pass on a double-yellow line, it will get you pulled over. So now I am supposed to interpret what a blue-line means between the double-yellow line? All so the cops can have their ego stroked by the locals? Really? Enough. We all understand being a cop is hard, but you're not scoring points with anyone with these sorts of misguided tribute attempts. You want to help a cop? Contribute to the policemen's ball, or thank one the next time they help, or give them the thumbs-up. Let's leave basic traffic laws out of this. Save the partisan pissing contests for city council meetings and Facebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps roadside memorials for police, like the bicyles and crosses where cyclists died and and drunk drivers killed someone.

Probably who ever backed this is normally is strongly against wasteful government spending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess BLM members blocking traffic on an interstate makes a whole lot more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I suspect they probably show through snow and rain a bit better.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
I guess BLM members blocking traffic on an interstate makes a whole lot more sense.

Absolutely! 99% of people agree that killing cops is a bad idea. Even among those few who support violence against law enforcement, only a tiny tiny handful will ever do so. It's a non-issue.

The majority of officers killed in the line of duty die in traffic accidents. And the majority of police killed by perpetrators are killed by white men. When it comes down to it, a number of professions have much higher fatality rates than police. Truckers, for instance.

So...while it's important to honor the hard work done by cops, and to respect that most of them do put their lives on the line for the common good, it's not exactly a position in much need of a PR boost. Despite the rhetoric of police unions, and the increasing militarization of police departments, they are not in a war zone. It's safer than ever for them.

Systemic racism, police brutality, and the need for criminal justice reform? Now that's worth blocking traffic over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's definitely illegal. This is pretty much exactly what standardized traffic devices are made to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Does them "blue lines" lead directly into the local nearest "Doughnut Shops", since, what other good/purpose would these 'serve'? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The phrase "good intentions" springs to mind. There are better, more important and more permanent ways of showing appreciation to the police. None of this, however, even approaches ways to deal with the problems. Typical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
If nothing else it is a classic photo.

One guy running a machine and 5 guys supervising.

But we can't eliminate any of the government jobs!
There are volunteer cops, maybe these guys are volunteer public works dudes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
galad2003 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Vrooman wrote:

There are volunteer cops, maybe these guys are volunteer public works dudes.
"Adopt a Highway" stretch also, and many 'participate' for theirs with our continuing "thanks"! thumbsupcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a union and vehemently pro-union, but I too realize that there are bad eggs who abuse the system. It's better than the alternative though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

It's a narrow shot but it looks like they didn't stop traffic so those guys as basicaly human traffic cones which considering the drivers in NJ is probably more dangerous than being a police officer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

I'm from Illinois. This is a typical photo in Illinois.

I've never seen this shit in SD. We have a LOT less traffic here, obviously, but... bleh.

It's good to, as a liberal, be honest about the benefits of living in a red state. I drive 90 to work on roads that are in good shape. If I drive two miles further, I'm in Iowa, and it's endless construction with no workers present. (Gee, I wonder what changed?)

On that same topic -- why is dumping cash into a stupid blue line not a similar level of egregious? I'm totally fine w/ using public money to hire artists to create works that honor the work police do -- I think it's good and important -- but this is actively dangerous as it changes how people perceive the roadway. It's illegal for a reason.

And we'll pay those same guys to go clean it up, one guy at a time, five guys watching at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
I'm in a union and vehemently pro-union, but I too realize that there are bad eggs who abuse the system. It's better than the alternative though.

Which alternative, Paul Ryan World?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

I've never seen this shit in SD. We have a LOT less traffic here, obviously, but... bleh.

It's good to, as a liberal, be honest about the benefits of living in a red state. I drive 90 to work on roads that are in good shape. If I drive two miles further, I'm in Iowa, and it's endless construction with no workers present. (Gee, I wonder what changed?)

On that same topic -- why is dumping cash into a stupid blue line not a similar level of egregious? I'm totally fine w/ using public money to hire artists to create works that honor the work police do -- I think it's good and important -- but this is actively dangerous as it changes how people perceive the roadway. It's illegal for a reason.

And we'll pay those same guys to go clean it up, one guy at a time, five guys watching at a time.

I'm confused. Are you implying that Iowa is a blue state?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

I'm confused. Are you implying that Iowa is a blue state?

No, you're inferring incorrectly. Though my communication was loose.

I know there's more to it than red vs. blue, but sometimes I lump my thinking about the higher speed limit together w/ my thinking about the frequency and duration of construction.

It's just a heuristic -- I don't know the party of the governor in Iowa, I'm just handwaving based on their swing-state status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
This shows the cross-cultural differences between countries that view status as being expressed by height above the ground and those that view ubiquitousness as signalling status.

Putting police or their symbols on the ground to be walked and driven on would demonstrate contempt for the police to most of S.E. Asian cultures.

(AIUI)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
This shows the cross-cultural differences between countries that view status as being expressed by height above the ground and those that view ubiquitousness as signalling status.

Putting police or their symbols on the ground to be walked and driven on would demonstrate contempt for the police to most of S.E. Asian cultures.

Amazon removes Indian flag doormat after minister threatens visa ban
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Pinook wrote:

(AIUI)
shake These very same "Asian Cultures" that 'glorify' NAZIS and then expected A-L-L others being "considerate" for their BS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.