Hide
3 Posts

Cuba Libre» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Government long game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob lawblaw
msg tools
I've played Cuba Libre a decent handful of times now (call it roughly 10 games); all solo, sometimes with bots sometimes I just play all sides. I think the game is a real gem; as much as I love all the COIN series games, Cuba Libre's small board and short play time make it something really unique.

So one strategic conclusion I've come to is that the Government is either going to win on the first, maybe second, propaganda round, otherwise they're screwed. After the second propaganda, the drop in resources compounded by the increase in action costs starts a downward spiral of inactivity and inability to maintain support, let alone build more. Obviously doing anything you can to get to 19 total support for the propaganda round to maintain the US relationship is key to maintaining effectiveness.

Does anybody have any success stories, or just general thoughts, on strategies for piloting the Government to a victory on the 3rd and 4th propaganda rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a video on all the factions. Check it out in the videos section.

I have seen 3rd and 4th prop round wins for Government. Typically they did so by making deals with Syndicate or taking advantage of cards that raise the US alliance track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
My first solitaire game against 3 bots I played the government and won in the 4th propaganda round!

Things went like this: due to events, the US support dropped rather quickly so I wasn't able to do much for the duration of the whole game. Fortunately, the 2 insurgent factions locked each other up with almost all of their units so they didn't do much harm to me either. The syndicate collected a lot of money, especially to the end, and almost won.

But all the last events in the deck were the ones which give money to the government! So I was simply able to buy the needed support in the last propaganda round to secure a victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.