Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we don't have to worry about FFG losing or renewing the license in the immediate future.

I bought Warhammer Quest, loved it, and then was very disappointed to find out when the license reverted. Same with Conquest. I would have loved to see more.

Now, with this game (which I like more than WQ, by the way), my concerns have been assuaged.

Good call on this, FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the games I've liked the most have died from licence-loss. LotR seems safe for now, but I'm happy this exists too in case anything were to happen.

So again I wonder how long before they make that Terrinoth LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree its cool, but im already thinking about a star wars retheme (i know, i know). The weakness mechanism is perfect for this theme, imagine a jedi deck with dark side weaknesses that can make your deck stronger but add more weakness cards, or a rouge deck that can get more resources but you have bounty hunter weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
a rouge deck that can get more resources

Sponsored by MAC, Estee Lauder and L'Oréal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Lovecraftian stuff public domain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
The Lovecraft (at least most of it) is public domain, but the Arkham Files IP is owned by FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The general setting is public domain, but FFG does have specific named characters (probably about all of their investigators) and locations (such as the Clover Club) set in that universe that they created which belong to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
I agree its cool, but im already thinking about a star wars retheme (i know, i know). The weakness mechanism is perfect for this theme, imagine a jedi deck with dark side weaknesses that can make your deck stronger but add more weakness cards, or a rouge deck that can get more resources but you have bounty hunter weaknesses.

I have to admit, I'd buy Star Wars...for as long as it lasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I'd like to see a revamp of Lord of the Rings done with many of the mechanics of AH and AN even if the fans of the current version scream bloody murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Frankly, I'd like to see a revamp of Lord of the Rings done with many of the mechanics of AH and AN even if the fans of the current version scream bloody murder.

"BLOODY MURDER!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
So again I wonder how long before they make that Terrinoth LCG

They really should!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovecraft's stories are in the public domain, but I am still a bit confused on the Arkham Files license because it does reference stuff that I believe originated in the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu RPG. For example the Silver Twilight Lodge, Carl Sanford (literally a reference to one of the Chaosium writers), Jim Culver and his Trumpet I first saw in the Dead Man's Stomp CoC RPG scenario... Also Arkham Horror the board game was originally a Chaosium product. So there must have been some sort of agreement between the two companies. I wonder if Chaosium sold them the rights out right. I assume that must be the case. So FFG has the rights to all the elements that appear in the board game.

Does anyone know the history on this?

@Scottgun - I love the LOTR LCG, but at this point I would be okay with a newer LCG in that setting. It would be cool to see what they could come up with now with all their LCG experience. I don't really feel like LOTR LCG needs anything to feel complete right now (well except a conclusion to the Saga campaign, which should be coming soon). They are just exploring cool new directions for the game. If it ended tomorrow I'd still have fun playing all the content they already released for that game. That said with L5R on the horizon and AGOT 2.0 and AH as new releases they probably won't have a new LCG release for a while. Especially considering how popular Star Wars Destiny seems to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Arkham Horror the board game was originally a Chaosium product.

Everything I can find on the Lodge says the name originated in the Arkham Horror board game, but there's The Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight in the RPG (from a 90s release). FFG probably bought the rights to the specific name they use, but sometimes fictional entities and organisations get passed around among authors of certain shared mythologies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Porkins Womble
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
That said with L5R on the horizon and AGOT 2.0 ....

I would love a cooperative, AH-style version of AGOT. The artwork, theme etc. is just great.

It would be great to see a LOTR 2.0, too. With better, more consistent art, and some AH-style mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.