United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It Was 20 Years Ago Today - part 7

continuing our journey through Avalon Hill’s 1997 catalog

Only two titles here I haven’t played - The Longest Day and London's Burning.

Breakout: Normandy was one of my favorite area-impulse games, but had to sell it long ago due to cash-flow issues.

Anzio is actually that rare game that made the leap from 1960s “classic” to perennial favorite still going strong today. Perhaps a testament to the game’s innovations as well as Tom Oleson’s outstanding redesign efforts in the early 70s.

I’ve played more PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader than just about any other game. Perhaps at more than 1000 plays, Race for the Galaxy is close but PB/PL still takes the prize.

Surprisingly, I ended up enjoying Rise and Decline of the Third Reich more than Advanced Third Reich, perhaps due to the tsunami of chrome.

What say you, fellow wargamers?

link to part 1
link to part 2
link to part 3
link to part 4
link to part 5
link to part 6
link to part 7
link to part 8
link to part 9
link to part 10
link to part 11
link to parts list special edition
link to part 12
link to part 13
link to part 14
link to part 15
link to part 16
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader to death. At one point I had ten copies of each game, punched and clipped. Used to make my own scenario maps. Had a complete rewrite of the rules that I did in Wordperfect and saved on a floppy disc. Not the "newer" hard discs, the old 5" actually floppy discs.

Played TLD a lot.

But Anzio is the one I still have, including the Italia 7th edition rules, maps and counters from Tom Oleson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I enjoyed Raid on St. Nazaire back in the day. I was into lots of the solitaire wargames around that time, also including Open Fire.

I got Panzer Leader (which I never owned or played before, but had sort of virtual nostalgia for) in a math trade a couple years ago but it seems so dated now that I still haven't tried it... My 2-player wargaming back then was more SPI than AH (although I did have a great summer of Squad Leader with a friend, and later Up Front!)

A friend was into the satirical card game Kremlin, so I played it a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Leader was pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you got a spare $50 for the original or $70 for the L2 version now Breakout Normandy can by yours again

We played it back in October and it was a blast

Oh, and 3rd Edition 3R over all other versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

A friend was into the satirical card game Kremlin, so I played it a few times.

Tom Vassel remade that game into Nothing Personal - mafia themed instead of Politbureau - it's an ok game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the best/most playable version of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich is the 3rd/4th edition.

Much better than the chrome monsters that followed. If you design a strategic game stick to it and do not go into operational detailed rules.

I think that PL/PB is still very much playable.

Breakout: Normandy is and always was a masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved PL back in the day - especially the 1940 variant that was published in the General.

However, there were some obviously problems - i.e. if an infantry platoon feared an overrun by a menacing tank formation, the very last thing it would consider would be to retreat into the nearby village...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kremlin was one of those games I liked but never loved. Popular with our group when it first came out and I played it again about year ago with one of my old friends ...and his son. Time does fly ...

I bought Panzer Leader as a kid and thought I would love it and ... didn't. To this day I don't like platoon level games. What I really wanted was Squad Leader but it didn't exist yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich was my grail game for the longest time. I remember seeing it in a store and drooling over it. (Saw The Longest Day at the same store, but the $100 price tag on it, even back then, was a killer.) Found an unpunched copy of TR at a yard sale for 50 cents and it was BEAUTIFUL! I scanned the counters and country cards, made extra counters and cards for it so I could play it and keep in unpunched. Finally a few years ago attempted to learn via PBeM, which really wasn't the best way to try and learn.

I ended up just selling it because I know I would probably never play it F2F with anyone. Same with the copy of Panzer Leader I had.

Bought Raid on St. Nazaire a decade or more ago, and only just started to play/learn it this year. Haven't finished it though.

Oh, and still have yet to play my copy of Ambush! Purple Heart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Sleezer
United States
Dupont
Washington
flag msg tools
Third Reich great game played as Italy and my game plan was to get England to be the one to declare war and, since Italy just cannot afford to do this.

Plus we were playing with variants and mine was that England had to declare war by such time and the Axis had to have Turkey and if that happened Spain would come in on my side.

So I invaded Yugoslavia with ease and than Greece fell.

So I built up in Libya and was building up for invasion of Turkey.

Up to that point I had lost nothing but when I invaded Turkey I lost nearly every single unit that I threw into the attack.

But in doing so Turkey lost everything defending. So when Germany attacked there was nothing to defend with and Turkey fell to the Axis.

Needless to say the War was over shortly after that since England could not defend the Middle East or North Africa and they did declare war on Italy and I played my variant and Spain was a minor ally of Italy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Sleezer
United States
Dupont
Washington
flag msg tools
I did get a copy of "The Longest Day" back when it came out.

Pricey and it life history was hard, since within a month of me getting it I was "T-Boned" with it in the trunk of my car.

Car was totaled but it only suffered some minor damage (one of the corner spine was broken).

But I did sell it last year but only because I had picked up GMT's The Battle for Normandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could open the AH catalog to any page and immediately acquire every game on that page, I think this would be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrika Korps, PanzerBlitz, Panzer Leader, and Ambush! Purple Heart are the games I own from these pages. Found an unpunched 1st Edition Afrika Korps at the local flea market for $10; my sons played it once at a local game store while I refereed. Panzer Leader was my first serious wargame, bought from a KB Toys store in the local mall sometime in the mid-1970s. My brother and I played it a lot. I still have the original game, a 2nd copy that I picked up at a toy convention, and a parts copy rescued from the local flea market. I played PanzerBlitz against a fellow BGGer but lost both games due to trying to play it by the Panzer Leader rules. I bought the entire Ambush! & Battle Hymn series from a BGGer that was downsizing his collection but I haven't played any of them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.