Subject: Want to pick this up but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the game is great with 6 players... but that might make my table 2-3 a year. Is it playable with 3... or should I just pass..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would pass at 3. I don't think 2 is even an option. If you can get four there is the Feast for Crows expansion that makes it play well at that count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Out of curiosity would 2 (maybe Stark vs Lannister) work if one could house rule a diplomatic system for NP houses to switch sides (or even go neutral)? I realize that the table diplomacy aspect of the game would be gone and it may be cumbersome to manage several houses at a time, but just wondering if any one has attempted such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the box, this game works with only 6 players. 5 players are doable with the map overlay available in the files section. 4 players is only possible with the feast for crows expansion (and is great, btw!). Anything less is not playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of the box the game works with 4 - 6 players (I've not tried 3).

We play 4 players all the time and have had many different out comes. I wouldn't recommend playing 6 players 1st time, unless every one is the type to have learned the game inside out 1st.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Hyyryläinen
Finland
Kotka
flag msg tools
mb
It is completely playable with 3 but I would recommend that only for learning games. With 3 players the game doesn't shine and it becomes quite boring 2 vs. 1 game really quickly.

However I don't think the game is only good with 6 players like some here seem to think. I have played this game much more with 4-5 players than 6 and I actually like it more (I think I'm in the minority though) wiht 5 players than 6. But with 5 I would almost always replace Greyjoy with Martell and with 4 players I would also use some variant or The Feast for the Crows expansion.

In short, I think you certainly could enjoy this game with fewer than 6 players too. But be warned though that out of the box it might not work so well with fewer players and people have different tastes of course.

And BTW my completely objective (sic) opinion is that this is the best game ever made so you should at least try it if you get the chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Except for the 3 player variant, this games works really well with 4,5 or 6 players.

I don't like the 3 player variant because the "netural" forces are just two badly defended in this feature. Its basically just a race to get as many natural castles as possible, and Bartheon usually wins them if he plays his cards right.

But with at least 4 players, diplomacy starts to come into play and that's what makes this game great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones is a FANTASTIC game, but I wouldn't play it with less than 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.