Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wound condition and Heal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

On page 22 of the downloaded instructions it talks about the WOUND condition. It states:
Quote:
If a Heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the WOUND token is removed and the Heal continues normally.


So if a HEAL 3 is used on someone with a wound does one of the HEAL points get used to remove the WOUND condition thus healing for only 2 points? Or does the WOUND condition get removed and the character is healed for a total of 3 points.

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opticus wrote:
Hello,

On page 22 of the downloaded instructions it talks about the WOUND condition. It states:
Quote:
If a Heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the WOUND token is removed and the Heal continues normally.


So if a HEAL 3 is used on someone with a wound does one of the HEAL points get used to remove the WOUND condition thus healing for only 2 points? Or does the WOUND condition get removed and the character is healed for a total of 3 points.

Thanks


My interpretation is that it would simply remove the effect and then do the healing as expected. The point to doing the healing is to remove the effect in addition to healing the amount provided. Double win!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats the way we play it. You get the full heal, and remove the wound.

Poison however.... any heal effect just removes the poison and you lose all of the healing.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Thats the way we play it. You get the full heal, and remove the wound.

Poison however.... any heal effect just removes the poison and you lose all of the healing.


This is exactly how we have been playing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Thats the way we play it. You get the full heal, and remove the wound.

Poison however.... any heal effect just removes the poison and you lose all of the healing.


So if you're poisoned and wounded, would you remove the poison but keep the wound?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit Sage wrote:

So if you're poisoned and wounded, would you remove the poison but keep the wound?


Haha, how unfortunate. This is a really good question though. Since the rules are worded "If a heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the wounded token is removed" and "If a heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the poisoned token is removed," perhaps both conditions are removed (and you receive no healing) because you're considered a wounded, poisoned figure?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit Sage wrote:
So if you're poisoned and wounded, would you remove the poison but keep the wound?
I would say you can choose to either remove the poison without healing, or remove the wound and heal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
you would remove wound and poison but gain no health back.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Suit Sage wrote:

So if you're poisoned and wounded, would you remove the poison but keep the wound?


Haha, how unfortunate. This is a really good question though. Since the rules are worded "If a heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the wounded token is removed" and "If a heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the poisoned token is removed," perhaps both conditions are removed (and you receive no healing) because you're considered a wounded, poisoned figure?


Part of the uncertainty is that the line is "If a Heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the POISON token is removed, and the Heal has no other effect."

It has "no other effect." Removing a wound would be another effect. Question is what order do these happen in?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit Sage wrote:
Part of the uncertainty is that the line is "If a Heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the POISON token is removed, and the Heal has no other effect."

It has "no other effect." Removing a wound would be another effect.


I agree with this. It seems to me that removing the Poison trumps everything else, including the Wound.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit Sage wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
Suit Sage wrote:

So if you're poisoned and wounded, would you remove the poison but keep the wound?


Haha, how unfortunate. This is a really good question though. Since the rules are worded "If a heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the wounded token is removed" and "If a heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the poisoned token is removed," perhaps both conditions are removed (and you receive no healing) because you're considered a wounded, poisoned figure?


Part of the uncertainty is that the line is "If a Heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the POISON token is removed, and the Heal has no other effect."

It has "no other effect." Removing a wound would be another effect. Question is what order do these happen in?


Good point. We'll just ask generally- How effect order is determined? If an attack does multiple effects at once it could trigger a very different outcome on damage. That's been addressed by cards with attack modifiers, but what about in the case of cards with multiple effects on them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see an issue of "order". "If a Heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the POISON token is removed, and the Heal has no other effect." That statement doesn't have anything to do with order, it trumps any thoughts about order.

There's a semi-conflict with the other rule. "If a Heal ability is used on a wounded figure, the WOUND token is removed and the Heal continues normally." But there's only one way to resolve the conflict: the Poison rule trumps the Wound rule. Then the conflict is resolved because the Poison rule says to ignore the Wound effect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit Sage wrote:

Part of the uncertainty is that the line is "If a Heal ability is used on a poisoned figure, the POISON token is removed, and the Heal has no other effect."

It has "no other effect." Removing a wound would be another effect. Question is what order do these happen in?


That's tricky. I didn't consider removing those negative statuses to be an effect of the heal (a heal's only effect is a heal); rather, the negative statuses are removed because the specified condition has been met (a heal ability was used).

But yaw, think we'll need an official ruling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
While I understand the reasoning behind some folks saying only the POISON would be removed, the answer I received some months back to this question was as Morthai has already stated: You'd remove both WOUND and POISON, after which, the heal would have no further effect. Of course, time could have changed things...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting discussion and actually a pretty good question for the official FAQ. I hope it is ok that I posted it there with reference to this thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorin Silver
Belgium
Nieuwkerken-Waas
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still looking at this from a role-playing point of view, trying to go with the theme.

Say you use a healing spell on a person. His major wound closes, and some smaller scratches are visibly healing under his very eyes (can you picture it?).

Or you use the spell to purge the poison from somebody's body. The poison dissipates, but the scratches don't heal - this spell (or potion) was specifically used to counter the poison.

If a person with a wound and poison is healed, the spell shouldn't be able to do both. Me, I'd let the caster pick - that way you could concentrate on healing wounds on somebody with only 1 life left, and let the poison run its course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As an old RPG player myself this sounds plausible to me, Lorin.

But Isaac just posted an official answer in the FAQ thread:
Cephalofair wrote:
Both wound and poison are removed. I will add it in my next update.


Mathew already told us, now we have confirmation that things haven't changed
Edit: sorry, of course Morthai told us first. But I didn't believe either of them. I happily acknowledge and confirm they were right
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I told you too, but you didn't believed me
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Isaac is not infallible, after all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for all things Gloomhaven, I suppose Isaac should be considered infallible by definition. I'm sure of one thing: I want to play the game the way he designed it. I see a lot of ingenuity in many design decisions in this game and I'm rather confident I'm not going to be disappointed. But that's just me, of course. And this is not to mean that I do not appreciate reports by people who tries variations and house rules. Better if robustly play tested, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
Well, for all things Gloomhaven, I suppose Isaac should be considered infallible by definition.


What he wrote in the rulebook isn't what he intended. Therefore he's not infallible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.