GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,855 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Morels and and we don't like Harbour. Will we like Fleet Wharfside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't claim to be objective but I have played all three games and wharfside is much more like Morels than Harbour gameplay wise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it like Morels? I'm not even sure why I thought it might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
How is it like Morels? I'm not even sure why I thought it might be.

I wouldn't directly compare it to morels in general, it's just more like it than Harbour. The market in Harbour is more chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes!
Yes! I think you will definitely like Wharfside. Or I’m fairly confident you will if you appreciate the equally excellent Morels in terms of Morels’ mechanical logic, strategic rhythms, and thematic spirit.

Morels and Wharfside uniquely nail the sweet spot balance between pace and complexity. You make fairly knotty interdependent decisions based on a whole bunch of shifting variables, but you do so in two seconds turn after turn. Both games are substantive and swift, which is the best of all tabletop combinations. In terms of robust games that play in under half an hour, these two are tops.

I also like how both games afford you just enough wiggle room to accommodate a strategic pivot or two during the first three-quarters of a round. You’re definitely aware throughout of the need to avoid squandering even a single turn; but within the context of having to make precise decisions from start to finish, you have enough flexibility to try a couple of strategies out early and, if necessary, to sidestep or double back toward Plan B before the stretch run if things don’t quite work out as hoped for.

Morels and Wharfside are also both ridiculously fun at every single second you are playing. And in Pinchback/Riddle and Povis you have three down-to-earth designers creating games in the show-and-tell spirit of sharing. You sense with these three that the main reason they embark upon a design project is because they want to play the final game themselves, first and foremost, as geeks.

Worth noting that Wharfside, of course, goes up to four players, too.

Get it!

(Extra kudos go to the diminutive Wharfside’s honest box dimensions. We need more publishers to similarly commit to cutting down on empty air and exaggerated box sizes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.