Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best Hero/Proficency Combos (Game 6-7) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Cabe
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My roommate and I have played this game a fair amount in the past few months since it was released. We have played with various combinations of heroes, proficiencies, and strategies. Here are a few we have found that have met with the most success. This list is by no means the final word; there have been several other combos I have tried that have worked well, but the below are some of the ones we enjoy the most.

Ron Weasley
Hero ability (Game 6): whenever you assign 3 or more damage, any one hero gains 2 life
Hero ability (Game 7): whenever you assign 3 or more damage, ALL heroes gain 2 life
Best Proficiency: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Whenever a dark arts event or villain ability causes you to discard a card, gain 1 damage and 1 life.

While Ron's ability in itself makes him fairly versatile (basically anything that allows him to assign damage is good), there are two related factors which makes the DADA proficiency a must-have: first, Tom Riddle's villain ability. Once he appears, I highly recommend keeping Tom out for as long as possible, as his ability (for each ally in hand choose to either discard a card or lose 2 life) actually benefits a player with DADA and lots of allies, and assuming one player takes the majority of the allies, he won't hurt the others hardly at all. Second, for Ron, having allies is extra potent due to his starting card Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans (gain 1 damage for every ally played that turn). This combo with DADA/Tom turns Ron to a very formidable damage dealer as well as keeps him somewhat self-sustaining with the life gain.

Nevile Longbottom
Hero ability (Game 6): Whenever a hero gains life for the first time on your turn, that hero gains an extra 1 life
Hero ability (Game 7): Whenever a hero gains life each time on your turn, that hero gains an extra 1 life
Best Proficiency: Herbology
Whenever a hero gains 3 or more life on your turn, that hero draws a card.

This one is kind of a no-brainer and many have probably figured this one out already. Just like in the story itself, Neville and Herbology fit together perfectly. There is no other proficiency that takes nearly as much advantage of Neville's life gain focus and it turns cheap healing cards like Essence of Dittany into formidable plays (gain 3 life and draw a card instead of the normal 2 life).

Harry Potter
Hero ability (Game 6): Whenever a location token is removed each turn, any one hero gains 1 damage
Hero ability (Game 7): Whenever a location token is removed each turn, any two heroes gain 1 damage
Best Proficiency: Flying Lessons
Once per turn you may pay 5 influence to remove one location token.

Unfortunately Harry's proficiency combo isn't as much of a slam dunk as Ron's or Neville's. Yes, it does allow him use of his hero ability on most turns, but it often is the difference between purchasing a Hogwarts card and not; plus, it only adds up to 1 more damage at most per turn (and 1 for another Hero on Game 7), unlike Ron, who could often rack up 2 or 3 extra damage just for himself with his combo (on a side note, I'm a little disappointed Harry's Game 7 upgraded ability doesn't cover all heroes, as seems to be the trend with the others). However, I have seen success using Harry almost purely as a location remover, keeping his deck relatively light, with maybe a couple extra influence gaining cards, but helping to maintain control of the first location and its coveted advantage of only one Dark Arts event reveal per turn.

Hermione Granger
Hero ability (Game 6): Whenever you play 4 or more spells, any one hero gains 1 influence
Hero ability (Game 7): Whenever you play 4 or more spells, ALL heroes gain 1 influence
Best Proficencies: Charms
(Once per turn, you may discard two spells; if you do, ALL heroes gain 1 influence and draw a card)
History of Magic
(Whenever you acquire a spell that costs 4 or more influence, any one hero gains 1 influence)

Hermione's specialty is spells and influence gain, through and through. There are a few proficiencies that are at least partially based on either or both of these, but Charms and Arithmancy seem to be the best fit. Since she is able to gain and distribute influence with her hero ability, it leaves cheap spells like Alohamora available to discard to Charms which provides a nice card draw boost to all heroes and can be used often even at the start of the game. History of Magic increases the influence gaining even further and will also be occurring often as Hermione scoops up almost any and all spells she comes across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree with some of these.

Lets stat with Hermione -- by having her take Charms, you will often be forcing her to make a choice: Discard 2 spells to give everyone else +card/+influence OR *Play* 4 spells to give everyone else +1 influence. That's not a choice I want Hermione to be making. I'd rather she consistently is pumping out multiple spells, feeding everyone influence AND getting the benefit of those spells, instead of tossing them away. To be honest, I'd rather see Hermione take Flying Lessons, since she's the one who can consistently get enough influence and Harry's ability triggers regardless of whose turn it is.

Next up is Ron. You mention Bernie Botts Beans. If you're playing Ron Attack heavy *and* focusing on Allies, you need a way to get Bernie's Beans into the hand when you get that massive army of Allies. The Proficiency that lets you pull an item into the hand is ready made for this, and allows Ron to get a few Broomsticks into the deck as well. Having consistent ways to get over the three attack threshhold keeps Ron doing damage and keeping morale up. Relying on Tom doesn't seem like a good plan.

Alternatively, give Ron the proficiency that allows manipulation of the house dice and a discount on them. There are a lot of good allies that have dice on them - making them cheaper for always influence-poor Ron is a good thing, and in game 7, letting him take the H's that let you discard for dice makes him a powerhouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cabe
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
I have to disagree with some of these.

Lets stat with Hermione -- by having her take Charms, you will often be forcing her to make a choice: Discard 2 spells to give everyone else +card/+influence OR *Play* 4 spells to give everyone else +1 influence. That's not a choice I want Hermione to be making. I'd rather she consistently is pumping out multiple spells, feeding everyone influence AND getting the benefit of those spells, instead of tossing them away. To be honest, I'd rather see Hermione take Flying Lessons, since she's the one who can consistently get enough influence and Harry's ability triggers regardless of whose turn it is.

Next up is Ron. You mention Bernie Botts Beans. If you're playing Ron Attack heavy *and* focusing on Allies, you need a way to get Bernie's Beans into the hand when you get that massive army of Allies. The Proficiency that lets you pull an item into the hand is ready made for this, and allows Ron to get a few Broomsticks into the deck as well. Having consistent ways to get over the three attack threshhold keeps Ron doing damage and keeping morale up. Relying on Tom doesn't seem like a good plan.

Alternatively, give Ron the proficiency that allows manipulation of the house dice and a discount on them. There are a lot of good allies that have dice on them - making them cheaper for always influence-poor Ron is a good thing, and in game 7, letting him take the H's that let you discard for dice makes him a powerhouse.

Your have a fair point with Hermione. Out of the two I listed, I would probably prefer History of Magic over Charms. However, I have found that having the opportunity of benefiting from one or even both can overcome the times you may have to choose, and since Hermione's decks are normally spell-heavy, she's going to have that opportunity nearly every turn. If Hermione has three spells or less in hand with no card draw, then you couldn't get the four spell influence anyway, so you might as well benefit from Charms (unless of course simply playing the spells is better). If you have five spells, there's probably a good chance the card you draw will also be a spell, allowing you to benefit from both. Since there are quite a few spells with card draw, I think there's plenty of opportunity to have your cake and eat it too. Of course, using Charms is situational anyway and normally only used with Alohamora's, Protego's, or spells that are useless at that time (Lumos with Basillisk out, Finite with Barty out, etc.)

I do like the idea of using Transfiguration with Ron to cycle Bertie Botts, but I have also found that the many allies with card draw (Cho, Trelawny, Flitwick, just to name a few) end up cycling your deck decently enough to still get Bertie Botts often. Plus, with transfiguration you would need a small stock of items to use it when you could otherwise be picking up more allies.

Arithmancy with Ron is pretty nice too. My points above don't really make yours any less valid, but are just my thoughts on the various possible pros and cons of the many combos in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john walter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
i find Arithmancy is a must for game 7. the ability to be able to reroll for the added wrinkle in game 7 is very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I've had great success with Charms and Hermione. The fact is that it's essentially a boosted version of her ability; in the later game allowing other people to draw cards is way more useful than influence. If you happen to add in a couple Reparos, it's even possible to activate both Charms and Hermione's ability in the same turn.

I'm not very keen on Flying Lessons in general. Flying Lessons is best with Hermione only because she's usually the only one who can pay for it, but I am not convinced Hermione is best with Flying Lessons because if you have the opportunity to use it, you really usually have the game under control, which means you don't really need Flying Lessons.

I also really like Transfiguration with Harry because in the early game it's extremely powerful and gives you a lot of snowball potential. During his turn, Harry's items are not very useful: Firebolt is weak, and Invisibility Cloak is just another Alohomora. With Transfiguration though, he's able to turn those cards into something else with more use. Even if it's just an Alohomora (for lack of any better card), Transfiguration helps him cycle the deck faster, allowing him to get the Invisibility Cloak more often. If he can buy a 5 cost in the early game like Tonks or Golden Snitch, the game becomes much easier to manage. You can even use him to buy out cheap items that no one needs because of the flexibility Transfiguration gives you too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parsat wrote:
Personally I've had great success with Charms and Hermione. The fact is that it's essentially a boosted version of her ability; in the later game allowing other people to draw cards is way more useful than influence.

It is this exact logic that describes why I don't want Hermione having this skill. Let someone else have it and the influence (and cards) flow freely from two heroes instead of just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cabe
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Quote:
It is this exact logic that describes why I don't want Hermione having this skill. Let someone else have it and the influence (and cards) flow freely from two heroes instead of just one.

My one concern with giving another hero Charms is that they won't have as many opportunities to use it, since Hermione will probably be taking the majority of the spells. Granted, it is used primarily with Alohamoras but there are other options that could come up based on the situation (Protegos, Lumos, Finite when Barty's out or no tokens on the location) and Hermione seems the best hero to take advantage.

I will agree that Charms is a good proficiency for at least one of the heroes to have, especially in a 4 player game, as it is one of the few that benefits all heroes at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevile: Herbology
Ron: Flying Lessons (Ron buys only damage and draw cards, removes tokens to guarantee global 2 heal when needed, never buy control removal)
Harry: Charms (he is essential a support team player need to fuel Hermione, Ron, and Nevile with cards, faster cycling=stronger deck; also allows him to clear the market buying junky spells)
Hermione: Don't remember, whichever one lets you discard a item to draw a cost 5 or less card from discard pile. This both fuels her natural ability (if 4 spells played) as well as helps her cycle her deck faster when she buys cards that allow her draws. She should then buy marginal items from Hogwards.

Proper turn order is either
--Harry, Hermione, Nevile, Ron
--Harry, Ron, Hermione, Nevile
It is important to not have Ron before Nevile and prevent the card draw from Herbology. Benefit of HHNR is Nevile and Ron can possibly buy 7&8 cost cards on their first turn. Benefit of HRHN is that healing is split every other turn (though that can mess with Herbology against certain villains).

Two or three players and there might be a different strategy. I'd probably just remove Ron for twree players, Ron & Nev for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Driscoll
msg tools
mb
mtagge wrote:
Hermione: Don't remember, whichever one lets you discard a item to draw a cost 5 or less card from discard pile. This both fuels her natural ability (if 4 spells played) as well as helps her cycle her deck faster when she buys cards that

It's from your deck, not your discard pile. It would be in my choices if it was in my discard pile, in the deck is not as good for sure.

We play 3 players.

Ron has the dice card, costs less to acquire and can reroll.

Hermione has the 1 extra gold when buying a spell.

Neville has discard two spells.

We alos play the discard two spells with Hermione and then we have choose between the health card or item card.

The thing is, a lot of these cards only start helping later in the game. The ones we choose need to help right away. The game is determined in the first few rounds, after that we know we're gonna win or lose.

That being said, if that assumption is right, then you should only take cards that will help you right away and not later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crouch
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
For me it's:

Ron: Defence Against The Dark Arts
For all the reasons everyone else said.

Neville: Transfiguration
Herbology looks good, but gets shut down too easily by Fenrir & Septum Sempra. Transfiguration lets him discard his Remembrall (and later Chocolate Frogs) to get the strong card you need now.

Harry: Charms
It's good if someone has it, and there's no proficiency that is obviously better for Harry. Second choices: Divination or Arithmancy (game 7).

Hermione: History of Magic, or Arithmancy, or Divination
My most undecided. History of Magic is a constant small benefit; Divination helps cycle her deck faster; and Arithmancy is good for game 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.