Hide
6 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » Rules

Subject: Feint Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Langer
msg tools
Can a corp of only cavalry make a feint attack against another corp if they are moving by road, or would they have to stop and wait to attack until next turn (since corp moving by road have to stop if there is a corp of two or more units in an adjacent locale)?

And can a feint attack still be made after you've moved a unit the maximum amount of locales by road?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/199572/road-movement-cl...

First question, the answer is no, unless they actually are starting in the attack locale.

Second question is also answered with a no, what if the defender retreats, you could have no units that are able to move into the defense locale, clearly illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maharbal42 wrote:
Can a corp of only cavalry make a feint attack against another corp if they are moving by road, or would they have to stop and wait to attack until next turn (since corp moving by road have to stop if there is a corp of two or more units in an adjacent locale)?

And can a feint attack still be made after you've moved a unit the maximum amount of locales by road?

First off, it will help to get the terminology straight. What you're asking about is making attack threats; when you do so the defender will choose to retreat (in which case the units making the threat enter the vacated locale) or name defenders (in which case you'll decide to either carry out the attack or feint).

With that in mind, have a look at the following post, which should answer your questions about when you can and cannot make those threats: Legal Attack Threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Langer
msg tools
I was literally just reading your post on legal attack threats and going back to delete my post I wish I had seen this post months ago! I did not understand how attack threats worked. I didn't realize that you just make an attack threat where you want to feint first before using a command to move your units up to that locale.

I had a small group learning this game from scratch, and I'm amazed at how it keeps revealing new possibilities and strategies. Even though some of that is because of our rules blunders whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silvergoose wrote:
First question, the answer is no, unless they actually are starting in the attack locale.

Technically speaking, it depends on whether the attacking corps has more than one unit. A corps with one unit wouldn't need to start in the attack locale (see the thread I linked).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Truth, I forgot to clarify that; single units have far fewer restrictions, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.