Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Why are Christmas trees so bad at knitting?
badge
They always drop their needles.
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for the 2017 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest

Supreme Steampunk Scientist
# of Players: 1-2 players
Game Time: 10 to 15 min

Components:
[9 cards] - on [1] A4 letter size Double sided PDF sheet
[1] - A4 Letter size Double sided PDF sheet - Rules
[9] - d6 dice (8 are counters, 1 is the "Breakthrough (in Research)" die
[9] - Tokens (area control markers)

Overview:
“Supreme Steampunk Scientist” is a Two-player game using blind bidding in a prisoner dilemma to control areas, with an action point support to enhance success and prevent penalties. You and your opponent play scientist in the steampunk age investing research time in three fields of study: mechanical science, alchemical science, and supernatural science. With each breakthrough in research, you gain more control over the field of study either reducing your opponent’s control or gaining dominance in the field. But scientific research in the age of Steampunk is cut throat, and like minds do not always lead to collaborative success. The scientist who masters the steampunk sciences is the Supreme Steampunk Scientist.

Supreme Steampunk Scientist contains 9 cards, 9d6, and 9 tokens. The game is a 2-player game, but has a solitaire option. The Players must provide 9 six-sided dice and 9 components. The game plays in about 10-15 minutes.

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Overall Game
Best Solitaire Game
Best 2-player Game
Best Thematic Game (Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Dungeon Crawl, etc)
Best Written Rules
Best New Designer
Best Artwork
Most Innovative Mechanic Category

Download Links:
Rules v0.2
Game Components - Card Fronts
Game Components - Card Backs (optional)

edit: updated new game logo
edit: new components
edit: updated rules, includes solo variant
edit: updated game logo
edit: updated card fronts (components)
edit: Added new game competition category
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] "Supreme Steampunk Scientist" - A Submission to the 2017 9 Card Nanogame PnP Contest (Idea Phase)
Initial Concept. Each player gets three cards, one each of the fields of study: mechanical science (orange), alchemical science (green), and supernatural science (blue)

Draft Concept Art

Players will hide their hand and made decisions on which science card to play (which science field they will research).

Players will place their chosen field of study face down in front of them. Players will reveal their cards at the same time to compare results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] "Supreme Steampunk Scientist" - A Submission to the 2017 9 Card Nanogame PnP Contest (Idea Phase)
Initial Concept: Science Fields (Research Areas)

Three cards representing the three stemapunk science areas (mechanical science (orange), alchemical science (green), and supernatural science (blue)) are arranged in a row between the two players.

Three tokens are placed on the center row representing a neutral dominance both scientists have in the field. As they conduct successful research in each field, the draw a token closer to their side on the science field. When all three tokens are on one player's side, that player scores a mastery in the field.

Each player will have one die for each science field to score their science mastery. Each player starts with one mastery in each science field.

Dominance in the Steampunk science is considered in each science field and in the total of all sciences. The Supreme Steampunk Scientist is the first to reach an establish total science mastery score (e.g. 9 mastery points total on the three science dice) or dominance in one of the science fields (reaches 6 points of mastery in one science field).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The remaining dice: Initial Concept.

Each player has an Research Influence Die. It functions as a counter and starts at six. Each player may spend a pip to influence the results of the research. Once all six pips are expended, the scientist (player) has consumed his ability to influence the science field and further.

The "Breakthrough (in research)" die is the rolled each turn to determine where breakthroughs in steampunk science research will occur. Players will want to be researching in the science fields when a breakthrough is occurring but not at the same time as his opposing scientist to gain the largest benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest.

Nice use of components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draft Rules for “Breakthrough (In Research)” rolls.

Breakthrough in Research Roll
1- mechanical science
2- alchemical science
3- supernatural science
4- Player A only
5- Player B only
6- Disaster

Players compare their cards with each other and with the Breakthrough in Research.

One Player Research Card matches Breakthrough in Research results – Plays moves two tokens in matched science field towards himself.

Both Players match Breakthrough in Research results – Each players moves one token in matched science field toward themselves. Players do not move the same token.

Neither player matches Breakthrough in Research results. No token movement.

Breakthrough in Research rolls of 4 and 5 are wildcard and automatically match the players card. Player moves one token in science field matching his chosen card towards himself. UNLESS, the opposing player also has chosen that field, in which case, no token movement occurs.

When the Breakthrough in Research roll is a 6, Disaster has struck. Both players lose one pip mastery in the field matching their card. If both players are researching the same science field when disaster strikes, neither loses the mastery pip, but the tokens are reset to the center (neutral influence) the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Merryfield
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
Welcome! Clearly this is something you've put a lot of thought into. I'm sure that bodes well for your game. Looking forward to testing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draft Rules for the “Influence Die”

Each player has 1d6 Influence die that represents the amount of influence they can exert on scientific research.
The die is next on each players side with the number 6 showing on top representing amount of influence a player has remaining.

Once each turn, the player may use his or her Influence Die to alter the control in one of the scientific fields as follows:
- 1 influence point to move a token closer or further away from you. It can be spent to result in a field control leading to a mastery point. It can also be spent to move a token away from an opponent’s side to prevent total control of a science field before scoring a mastery point.
- 2 influence point to increase or decrease a mastery die in one field by 1 point. This can be used to score a winning point. This can also be used to prevent the opposing player from scoring the winning point.

Each player only has 6 influence points, and once all has been expended, the die is removed from play (to indicate zero influence remaining).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Draft Victory Conditions:

The game has four levels of play.
Introductory Game: Game ends when one of the two conditions has been met by a player. 1) Scores 6 mastery points in one scientific field; or 2) Scores a total of 9 mastery points combined in all scientific fields.
Standard Game: Game ends when one of the two conditions has been met by a player. 1) Scores 6 mastery points in one scientific field; or 2) Scores a total of 12 mastery points combined in all scientific fields.
Challenge Game: Game ends when one of the two conditions has been met by a player. 1) Scores 6 mastery points in two scientific fields; or 2) Scores a total of 15 mastery points combined in all scientific fields.
Domination Game: Game only ends when one of players has scored 6 mastery points in all three scientific fields for total domination of the steampunk sciences.

Tie breakers. In the case both players reach a victory condition in the same turn, the winner is determined in the following order: 1) Highest total mastery scores across all three sciences. 2) Most science fields dominated (6 mastery points). 3) Most science fields with greater master than opponent. 4) Highest remaining influence score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Art Design and Theme.

My next concern is developing appropriate and satisfying art to weave and reinforce the theme of the game.
I simply lack the talent to do anything artistically great with the card, but worry over too simplistic a design that results in not translating the theme or a boring visual game.
Initial approach: Steampunk grunge style – darker colors, indicating the dark connotation of cut-throat competition establish dominance in the various science fields.

My limitation: Limited graphic art capability. I think I am find with color schemes, but very poor on graphic design from scratch. Only a real artist can bring personality to the card. I’m not sure how to handle that work.

Science Field area control cards. Concept: The three position of the three tokens is the baseline graphic representation of area control for the game. Currently, in prototype design, a three by three block (#) suffices to represent the science area with the sides belonging to the closest player.

Initial art concept:
Graphics: Using steampunk imagery, each of the science areas would have a different representation of the area consistent with the science theme. For the mechanical science, I envision three-position levels on a row of cog wheels. The movement of influence is illustrated by moving the levers (token) up and down. For the alchemical science, I envision glass beakers over Bunsen burners and glass tubing connecting the rows. The movement of influence is illustrated by moving the fluids (tokens) up or down into different glass beakers. For the supernatural science, there are several ways to go about it: candles on an arcane symbol, crystals on a harnessing machine, spell books/scrolls on a table, etc. And movement is the alignment of occult energy closer to one player or another.
Tokens: Standard tokens can be used, blocks, glass beads, pennies. Visually, three cogs, three glass counters, and three plastic gems (for the crystals) would be most appealing and thematically consistent. But it should not be a design requirement but a way to “pimp” the game.

Alternative art concept:
Graphics: Each of the science areas would generally look the same, each representing a laboratory with either a color or image code to clearly identify the science field the card was representing. Perhaps the sides closest to each player has a chalkboard on the edge of the laboratory. The laboratory is occupied by fellow steampunk scientist and influence (control) is the gathering of the scientist to one side or the other to proclaim mastery of the players in each science field.
Token: Meeples to represent the scientists. To enhance the visual look, the meeples could be color coded by science field. Meeple source has male and female scientist that would work great with this concept.
Mechanic possibilities: I’ve considered designating a “lead scientist” in each science field, to make the area control have more depth. This lead scientist would be a different color meeple on each field and could have the effect of always drawing one of the other scientist with him. However, once he is on the far side and can move no further, he can not draw another scientist with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm considering additional rules to reward domination of the Science Fields. These may be considered optional rules, but would really only work when running a game in Challenge or Domination level where more than one science field can be dominated during the game.

The benefit should not be something the players can already do in the game. It should be something that affects both players, changes the way the game is played, is worth working towards, doesn’t unbalance the game, and makes thematic sense.

If a player has domination in the Mechanical Science Field, the additional benefit is gained: Once per turn, the dominating player may spend a point of any of his dice to change the Breakthrough in Research die roll by one value, up or down. Flavor: The scientist charges his mechanical minions and they set out to intimidate scientists, steal research, or hide failures.
If a player has domination in the Alchemical Science Field, the additional benefit is gained: Once per turn, the dominating player may spend a point on any of his dice to rotate any science field. The result is that the influence of the players in the science field is reversed. Flavor: Using your transformation powers, you impersonate your opponent and steal his research or ruin his influence.
If a player has domination in the Supernatural Science Field, the additional benefit is gained: Once per turn, the dominating player may spend a point on any of his dice to reassign a lead scientist in one science field (designer note - this mechanic only works thematically when using meeple/scientist concept in the play area). Flavor: Using your supernatural powers, you charm the scientists to suddenly follow one of your choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have the components mock-up and rules posted in a single download before the end of the day so Geeks can playtest this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Siewert
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supreme Steampunk Scientist has entered the Components Ready Phase.

Rules are posted. Includes optional rules. Solitaire rule option TBP.

Components are prototypes. Updates to art will follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Siewert
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please fix the links.
I get the 'components' when i click on 'rules' and
i get the 'rules' when i click on 'components'. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carabor wrote:
Please fix the links.
I get the 'components' when i click on 'rules' and
i get the 'rules' when i click on 'components'. devil

Links fixed. Thanks for the notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed - looking forward to a solo variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning as I go, I see that the PnP design should consider a low ink version for those who do not want a full color option (or can not print a full color card). As currently designed, I can see how a B/W would produce cards that are not visually attractive or easily readable.

Hopefully, it has not caused any problems for anyone attempting to play test the game.

I'll work up a simpler design for low ink as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated game logo.

These will be the card backs. Designed so that the facing side can not be seen through the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Updated the art of the three steampunk sciences.

I considered placing a black border on the card, but I decided that it would be a waste of ink. But I am open to suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the border you use for the logo. I would l9ve to see some s as mples of the three cards using the same border for the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Science cards with the border. Are these preferred?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these but hard to see the corner icons. Hmmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
I like these but hard to see the corner icons. Hmmm....

I was thinking of making the corner icon more subtle, blending them in to the corer iron works like I did with the back of the card, probably not in grey scale but in black or black outline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of a thematic thought, but steampunk while it happens isn't antique, it's contemporary. Not aged. So keeping the look clean makes more sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.