Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Personal Quest kept Secret? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Hunter
msg tools
Cant seem to find the answer to this anywhere so sorry if its already been asked The rules don't seem to specify that the personal goals are kept secret, however i wanted to check before i played. I know battle goals are kept secret, but the rules don't specify either way for the personal goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
My impression was always that they were to be kept secret. I think Paul's how-to-play videos mention that too, but I don't think I've seen anything official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hunter
msg tools
Yeah thats kinda my problem. At no point in the pdf rulebook has it mentioned that is has to be kept secret. Ive read through the section a few times now. So i guess i was hoping for some official clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't specifically say they're secret like it does with battle goals.

Also keep in mind that some things will require you to count something for your personal quest, so you'd need to be making tallies. I see nothing wrong with you telling your new friends what your life goal is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Brute opens personal quest.

1) Meet someone nice, someone with similar interests and values. At the same time, someone different enough that they can challenge you to improve as a person, just as you challenge them.
2) Settle down with that person. You may choose either a formalized legal relationship, or an informal relationship with the same depth and meaning.
3)When you complete this quest, unlock the Nanny class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should role play that ... you are a bunch of mercenary together to pursue missions and earn money (and XP)

are you friends? are you trustable? do you sleep with an eye open to watch your comrades?

both ways are fine (secrets or not) considering your way to enjoy the game

for the scenario quest for perks (don't remember the name of those cards) I suggest to keep them secret to enjoy more the possible bluffing and unexpected strategy of each character to reach their personal scenario goal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Bøttger
Denmark
flag msg tools
Personal Quests aren't secret like Battle Goals. As far as I know, some personal quests can open new scenarios while others might add new events to the event decks. Stuff like that cant be hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
We are not keeping ours secret at all. In fact, and this probably isnt supposed to happen, but we talked about them when choosing them.

Because both me and another player drew 2 quests. One of which did X, and the other did Y. What I mean is we both had one quest which did the same thing, and the other did the same other thing.

So, we just chose different ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fern
Canada
flag msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
We are not keeping ours secret at all. In fact, and this probably isnt supposed to happen, but we talked about them when choosing them.

Because both me and another player drew 2 quests. One of which did X, and the other did Y. What I mean is we both had one quest which did the same thing, and the other did the same other thing.

This makes a lot of sense. I didn't think of it until now. I got worried and just went to check everyone's Personal quest to make sure we weren't aiming for the same class. Luckily none of us are whew .

Anyways, everyone share your goals when you're picking them just in case someone takes the same one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeputyCF wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

This makes a lot of sense. I didn't think of it until now. I got worried and just went to check everyone's Personal quest to make sure we weren't aiming for the same class. Luckily none of us are whew .

Anyways, everyone share your goals when you're picking them just in case someone takes the same one.

Or don't, if that's not what you want to do.

The designer has stated that he didn't make a rule for this on purpose. So, you can do what you want. The designer stated that his preference was to keep his personal goal secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W

South Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't believe there is a specific rule on this or not. We gave everyone in our group the option to reveal their personal quest or keep it secret (only one person has chosen to reveal their quest). Since I'm playing a scoundrel, it seemed only fitting that I would keep my quest hidden from the rest of the group. By not revealing it, I have had the pleasure of making a couple moves in the game where everyone looks at me wondering just what I am doing. It's added a great role-playing element to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happens if two players get overlapping quests, I.e. they unlock the same class as a result....Doesn't that mean the first person who does it essentially spoils it for the other player and then the second player can't unlock it? Or they can unlock but because they have the same class in the party they can't play together anymore?

We are 3 scenarios in now and I'm worried about us having overlapping personal quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
rnickster86 wrote:
So what happens if two players get overlapping quests, I.e. they unlock the same class as a result....Doesn't that mean the first person who does it essentially spoils it for the other player and then the second player can't unlock it? Or they can unlock but because they have the same class in the party they can't play together anymore?

We are 3 scenarios in now and I'm worried about us having overlapping personal quests.

You are not forced to play the class you just unlocked. If your buddy unlocked him first and makes a character with him, then you'll just have to choose another character instead. No reason not to play with each other anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.