Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've been looking at this recently. I always thought Barbarian Prince was cool. I liked Fabled Lands. Fellow guildmate just put me back onto those while I wait for Gloomhaven.

This looks like it's exactly the sort of thing I enjoy, except for the issues I've read here.

In the off chance that someone with game experience stops by,

Is it fun? Is it worth playing multiple sessions? Do the sessions feel different enough? If you played a new character, do you think it would be different enough from your previous plays?

How about the rulebook and cards? Bad?

I'd love to check this out, but there's no way I'm paying the $70 ish on Amazon for what looks and sounds like a $19.99 game.

If only this were available for sale as a PDF. Then I might take a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the silence has been deafening for awhile now. Have you already read through the 7 or so forum threads that touch on these issues? These questions have been asked numerous times and there seems to be little response each time. Maybe that's our answer, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We may never know, because I doubt most of us are crazy enough to drop $70 on a paper map and some cards. According to the description, it doesn't even come with miniatures or dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burnett
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
Yeah, the silence has been deafening for awhile now. Have you already read through the 7 or so forum threads that touch on these issues? These questions have been asked numerous times and there seems to be little response each time. Maybe that's our answer, I don't know.

Also watch the videos being made by the designer to get a feel for it.

I do want to try the game again, but I have a long list of other stuff that is ahead of it in the to-play queue, including some that might scratch a similar itch to this, so who knows when I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to denigrate the game or anyone because all of this comes down to a desire by so many for a solo RPG which I share and I think it is a laudable goal. But so many of these threads end up sounding to me like a group of people wandering in the woods with newcomers stumbling in.

I heard there was a unicorn around here.
Yeah, have you seen it?
No, have you?
Are we sure there's even a unicorn?
[new person approaches]
I heard there was a unicorn around here.
Yeah, have you seen it?
No, have you?

Must be the non sequitur part of me but it amuses me nonetheless. I'll stop now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like in this case it should be:

"I heard there was a game around here, is there?"
(silence)
"Does anyone own it?"
"I do"
"Have you played it?"
(silence)

For crying out loud, I'd even take a comprehensive list of components to prove some one at least opened the box. ANYTHING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll notice that the next newest thread was started by me 3(!) months ago. One response.

Lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano Ware
United States
Farmington Hills
Mi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean by 'low activity'. I am still working on getting the last of the shipments to Europe and elsewhere in the world. I pretty much took December and January off for the holidays but I'm still here.

As for gameplay it is what it is. Certainly not for everyone. There are over ten videos on gameplay on my The Solowargaming Show youtube channel so I don't feel I need to try and describe game play anymore.

As for the contents. Again they are what they are. Barbarian Prince had a 'small' cardboard map, one figure and some small rule books. This game comes with a 'large' gloss coated paper map, over 100 some odd cards a full rulebook and dice of course. There are miniatures that were unlocked during the Kickstarter. The miniature used in the game play videos is one of them. I have not started sending these out yet as I had A LOT of problems and went through a A LOT of money trying to get them done right. Ultimately I put them on hold until all the shipping was done as they were about jeopardizing any game at all getting made.

Eventually I would like to include the Maverick miniature in all the 2nd Edition games.

Either way I know solo and the game is not for everyone. I made it for 'me' and I LOVE IT! It really makes me relax and takes me away every time I play it. Kickstarter was a means to get it published in a playable format and that has happened. I now want to get all my Backers everything or as much, as I pledged during the Kickstarter but if it takes a while so be it. I will keep at it.

All criticism and skepticism is wholly understandable but I have to ignore most of it or I would give up.

As for the price I assume none of you have seen Kingdom Death? $1500 pledge levels for a board game that does not include gold or any other precious metals! So yeah price is relative and to be truthful if I could sell ten or twenty copies of these at $1500 each I would much rather have done that and put out a much better game with much less stress and costs for delivery and shipment.

Hmmm, "Journey To The Kingdom of Death?!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks cool. Will it be available retail? I don't see it available in the usual places (even Amazon now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
It looks cool. Will it be available retail? I don't see it available in the usual places (even Amazon now).

Looks like there are still some copies being sold on Amazon, just not sold BY Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Overland-Games-Journey-Tabletop-Rolep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano Ware
United States
Farmington Hills
Mi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please be careful buying any copies "used". I gave Amazon some copies for a pilot program but I don't know if they have anymore or not. I don't know who the "used" sellers are as I have not sold any to any retailers although the rulebook is available to "libraries and such" through the manufacturer Ingram Spark. However that is just the rulebook not the complete game. I have about 36 copies of the Core Game to send overseas then I will start fulfilling the stretch goals (some of which are already made). I am doing a reorder in February to get the last 36 out. If you are interested in pre-ordering a copy please contact me via our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/journeytotheoverland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Bayu
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcware wrote:
Please be careful buying any copies "used". I gave Amazon some copies for a pilot program but I don't know if they have anymore or not. I don't know who the "used" sellers are as I have not sold any to any retailers although the rulebook is available to "libraries and such" through the manufacturer Ingram Spark. However that is just the rulebook not the complete game. I have about 36 copies of the Core Game to send out to Europe then I will start fulfilling the stretch goals (some of which are already made). I am doing a reorder in February to get the last 36 out. If you are interested in pre-ordering a copy please contact me via our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/journeytotheoverland

Deano what abaout Asia? Are you going to fulfill Asia first before you fulfill the stretch goals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano Ware
United States
Farmington Hills
Mi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. In fact I should have the Core Game out to everyone that is left by the middle of March - maybe sooner but I don't want to over promise anything. As for the stretch goals I am accelerating the progress on them now and will be send them out in "waves" so everyone is not waiting for one or two items to get published. I will know more when I do the February update which I plan on posting around the 4th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcware wrote:
Yes. In fact I should have the Core Game out to everyone that is left by the middle of March - maybe sooner but I don't want to over promise anything. As for the stretch goals I am accelerating the progress on them now and will be send them out in "waves" so everyone is not waiting for one or two items to get published. I will know more when I do the February update which I plan on posting around the 4th.

Deano, did ye manage to ship all copies to the EU?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My core set arrived! Huzzah.
Keeping my fingers crossed now for the expansions. Especially the 2 player variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the KS update he mentions that that is next. He has proven to be a man of his word. If there is ever an errata expansion I would pay extra for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
In the KS update he mentions that that is next. He has proven to be a man of his word. If there is ever an errata expansion I would pay extra for it.

Same. Though I also hope to be able to opt to gather the expansions in one thign as the customs were unexpectedly high here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.