Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Discard says to put cards from your "hand" into your discard pile [EDIT] or shared item discard pile.

If a Tall Tale action says you may "discard" items, can you discard from the stash, or must if be from your hand? (I understand that if you are at a Landmark, 2nd edition rules say you can reorganise your hand and stash, so this covers an action at a Landmark).

If a Tall Tale action says you MUST "discard" items, are items in your stash protected, or do they count? e.g. if you MUST discard 2 items, but only have 1 in your hand, do you just discard 1, or must you discard the 2nd from your stash ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that when you discard an item it went into the item discard pile ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:

They do. So my question should be, can/must you discard items [to the shared item discard pile] from the stash?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
Discard says to put cards from your "hand" into your discard pile [EDIT] or shared item discard pile.

If a Tall Tale action says you may "discard" items, can you discard from the stash, or must if be from your hand? (I understand that if you are at a Landmark, 2nd edition rules say you can reorganise your hand and stash, so this covers an action at a Landmark).

If a Tall Tale action says you MUST "discard" items, are items in your stash protected, or do they count? e.g. if you MUST discard 2 items, but only have 1 in your hand, do you just discard 1, or must you discard the 2nd from your stash ?

Great question and I get the confusion.

First question: You can't discard from your stash.

Second question: Same as before, you can't discard from the stash so yeah...I guess your stash is protected.

And like you said, in the 2nd edition of the rulebook, you can freely organize your hand and stash while at landmarks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
good man - thank you ! (want to be sure I have the rules down before I do a video play through cool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
good man - thank you ! (want to be sure I have the rules down before I do a video play through cool)

I likes the sound of that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:

What?!?

That means I can't reuse items? I guess that makes sense, but means I am in even more trouble. Are any items reusable? How would I know? How did I miss this fact, I have the 2nd edition rulebook, and I completely missed this.

I blame it on Ricky, as I always watch his videos first so I don't make mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
murteas wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

What?!?

That means I can't reuse items? I guess that makes sense, but means I am in even more trouble. Are any items reusable? How would I know? How did I miss this fact, I have the 2nd edition rulebook, and I completely missed this.

I blame it on Ricky, as I always watch his videos first so I don't make mistakes.

Most are one-time use. If you own the 2nd edition of the game, some of the cards say "deactivate on use", which means they don't get discarded. In the first edition of the game, some say "do not discard".

So yeah, gotta be a little more careful when and where you use those awesome items you found!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have to admit, that after "eating" the ectoplasm I thought I wonder if I have to permanently discard this. Then because I was losing so badly, I said "Nah.. I don't remember reading that"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
murteas wrote:
Yeah, I have to admit, that after "eating" the ectoplasm I thought I wonder if I have to permanently discard this. Then because I was losing so badly, I said "Nah.. I don't remember reading that"

Lol, as long as you're having fun...you just keep eating that nasty goo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
murteas wrote:

My video is now posted (well, part 1 anyway!) Hope this helps new players! RR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
I guess your stash is protected.

Oh, I kind of thought that was it's purpose. Now I'm confused about the purpose of the stash in general.

(Please read the following with a tone that is friendly and curious.) laugh

It seems like a player could often use one of their two standoff actions to only get into their hand what they are playing this turn. This keeps them safe from the deactivation and discarding effects of cards like wind and fire (VERSUS) and some creature effects (TALL TALES). What's the downside of doing that?

With two standoff actions, it's so easy to get into it; I don't know why I'm bothering to manage two separate parts of my hand. Why aren't the hand and the stash just the same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

Oh, I kind of thought that was it's purpose. Now I'm confused about the purpose of the stash in general.

It seems like a player could often use one of their two standoff actions to only get into their hand what they are playing this turn. This keeps them safe from the deactivation and discarding effects of cards like wind and fire (VERSUS) and some creature effects (TALL TALES). What's the downside of doing that?

With two standoff actions, it's so easy to get into it; I don't know why I'm bothering to manage two separate parts of my hand. Why aren't the hand and the stash just the same thing?

Re: Why aren't they the same?

Because they are different, haha. Your hand is limited so that you have to plan more carefully what goes into your hand and have access to. The stash is to that you don't have to lose things you acquire, and can swap out what you have in your hand at any given time.

This is more of a dynamic for the coop version than the duel, but it does play into the duel for the expansion characters/skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

Because they are different, haha. Your hand is limited so that you have to plan more carefully what goes into your hand and have access to. The stash is to that you don't have to lose things you acquire, and can swap out what you have in your hand at any given time.

This is more of a dynamic for the coop version than the duel, but it does play into the duel for the expansion characters/skills.

Maybe I’m playing a rule wrong. I played the old Tall Tales and never really got the stash. What’s the “planning” needed if you can swap stuff in and out every turn. It’s rare to need both stand-off actions.

Also, would I hamstring wind and fire in VERSUS mode if I only kept in my hand what I intended to play each turn? I’m curious how that went down in playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only swap out and in from the Stash at certain points, so you have to plan your hand. I think it's a neat idea: hand limits allow players to focus, manage and plan with a small set of cards, but they also hamstring players a little; Gibson's "stash" seeks to find the best of both (?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
ssgibson wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

Maybe I’m playing a rule wrong. I played the old Tall Tales and never really got the stash. What’s the “planning” needed if you can swap stuff in and out every turn. It’s rare to need both stand-off actions.

Also, would I hamstring wind and fire in VERSUS mode if I only kept in my hand what I intended to play each turn? I’m curious how that went down in playtesting.

In third edition you only have one standoff action. It's a trade-off if you want to spend your standoff just organizing your hand in the off-chance someone might use wind or fire against you. And even getting blasted with fire or wind isn't the worst thing if you want to reactivate one of those piles soon and want it to be the most efficient use of EP when you do. As in, 3 EP for 4 spell cards, etc).

In fourth edition, you have two standoff actions, and honestly with player skills and the item field, your standoff actions are generally much better spent using/acquiring items, reactivating skills, using skills, whatever.

In all my testing, spending an action to organize your hand/stash has weight vs. the other things you *could* do, and I'd only ever organize when it was a must.

It depends on the character you're playing of course, and the items you acquire. Some turns, yeah, you don't have much to do during the standoff, some turns...you've got more to do than you have actions for.

In my 1v1's, they only last about 4-5 turns, maybe one of those standoffs I don't have much to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.