BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: BGG Facebook Group - A Concern rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Linn
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm hoping that this is the correct place to voice concerns about the BGG Facebook group, as the group itself does not appear to be.

Over the course of the last few weeks, there had been several discussions regarding the inclusion of women in the board gaming hobby. While there were some members of the Facebook group that exemplified the issues being discussed, a majority of the posters in these discussions had been, maturely, discussing how to better the community as a whole to be more inclusive.

However, the few members that were being disruptive managed to get the threads deleted. Resulting in an important topic being stifled and a large number of people in the group being left wondering what happened.

I realize that threads like this can cause dissonance and it is not "fun" or "easy" being aware of the issues that plague people trying to get into this hobby, but ignoring issues do not make them go away, and the people that are experiencing those issues cannot ignore them. We need to be here to be supportive of them, and those people feel abandoned when they're told that they cannot discuss it.

If the BGG Facebook Group proper is not the place to discuss these issues, perhaps another Facebook Group needs to be created that is a haven that people can discuss them, and a place that we can discuss fixing the problem.

I understand the difficulty and time consumption that goes with moderating large threads that seem to have completely devolved into insults, but the threads that start that are normally very important threads to discuss, they're divisive for a reason and people need a place to discuss it. "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater" is starting to cause a large problem, one that I don't know how to fix, but I hope we can discuss here and figure out what we can do.

Thank you for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Mattes
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About a year ago a friend of mine left the group because after she posted her excitement about the ICP deckbuilder she got nothing but hate and rage. I then attempted to calm the waters by asking why the group had descended into mockery of other peoples interests. I felt, and still feel, that this hobby and the communities it has created are a safe haven for all people interested and the exclusivity really hurts the overall message that this hobby can provide.

After my post I got berated as a crybaby and a whiner and I subsequently left the group. I am deeply ingrained in the industry and leaving the group took my finger off a large part of the pulse of the community but I found myself to be happier and more productive in the areas I am still involved. The group became toxic a long time ago and the mods simply seem over-whelmed or too scared to step in. The Boardgame Group is a healthy alternative that offers a place to discuss your interests with others that are interested as well.

I am all for making a group that is mature enough to have the heavy conversations needed. I am sorry that you experienced this and I hope that some day a good strong discussion can be had with many people in the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyh wrote:
"Throwing the baby out with the bathwater"

This is the only moderation policy I've ever seen here *or* there. It's not the way I (or any other communications consultant) would advise as the best method of dealing with these situations; but, it does seem to work. This year's support drive exceeded last year's by a considerable margin; so, it's relatively easy to just delete and bury things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused about why we have a Facebook group to begin with. We really don't need it in my opinion. All the goodies and discussions are here. Also, on Facebook there is no way to sort through all the posts I don't care to see and finding things is impossible. On our forum I have control over the content I see and can find things I'm looking for super fast.

From my experience, Facebook isn't really designed for heavy discussion. Correct me if I'm wrong moderators: I thought that the moderation and organization capabilities are not as complex/good as they are here. Also, when something gets flagged on Facebook, isn't it sent to Facebook customer service, not the group moderator? Facebook might be removing things due to their policies on public content because that group and everything posted on there is public (accessible without logging in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Facebook's policies are far, far, far more relaxed than BGG's. I've seen things reported on FB that are hateful and mean-spirited, and the response from Facebook is that it doesn't meet the level of what they consider necessary to delete.

Functionally, they provide tools to block other users and they figure - you're an adult. You can read what you want; don't read what you don't want and block people that annoy you.

Group admins can delete whatever they'd like (just as you can on your own wall). Facebook rarely deletes things (they're more concerned with spamming (like, sending out 2000 friend requests in a day), and they're much more concerned with managing and monetizing commercial members).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that sexist remarks should not be in the group but now the moderators are banning people without warning. I got banned for making an "alternative facts" joke. We really need to understand the internet may have comments that not welcome and accept their right to free speech... Then again I guess it is the admins choice who to include and not include... so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sad to hear that. I find BGG to be one of the nicest communities on the endless ocean of Internet. How come that the same people (?) get nasty on FB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.