Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Vail
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love some of the elements in Vivarium! After our first play last night it felt ..... strange! I can't really put my finger on it but things did not go as well as thought. Cards were extremely hard to combo. It takes forever to get more species out on the board....many of the events seems extremely hard to attain.

I am not giving up on it but something is just not clicking???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Le Mesurier
msg tools
Hi Tim, first games of Vivarium can be quite challenging! There's usually a bit of learning curve to overcome.

Out of curiosity, what species were you?

One thing to keep in mind when looking to combo cards is that you don't have to empty your hand each turn, you can strategically hold cards. So if you have a Population card in your hand for example and you know you'll draw another on your next turn, you can hold it and then you'll be able to combo in the next turn.

Another thing you generally only want to collected 1 or 2 colours, any more will result in 'rainbow hands' which usually give lots of Energy buy no effects!

Some species breed quicker than others, and often you'll need to prioritise reproduction to have a strong presence on the board, if you're a slow breeding species, those Population cards are really valuable!

The events will usually sit in play until around the 3rd year. The first 2 years are usually spent getting the engine online and then the game really amps up and those events should mostly become attainable by the end of the game.

Hope those tips help! Definitely comment again or shoot me a message if you want any rules clarifications or advice.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kruckvich
United States
Greensburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a rough first game: Anacondas, Eagles, Bears, and Tigers.
The faster breeding anacondas and eagles lurched forward to complete a bunch of objectives early on before the slower breeding mammals could have even had the possibility. (The first year's events happened to be about all territory-ownership.) Three hours in, the tiger player gave up, and since it was after 3am, three and a half hours in, the anaconda player had to give up even through he was in the lead. The fourth year went by much more quickly with only two players, but the bear player was far enough behind that he still didn't catch up to the anaconda player's points.

I may have a difficult time getting it on the table with that group of players again. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Vail
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the Alligators.

I missed the part in the rules where you could hold onto cards for further actions. Will make a huge difference.

Also, I want to make sure I have the event cards coming out correct. WE played a 3 player game....I was the first player.

Players A's turn, he moves the initiative marker to player B. Does NOT draw an Event turn, turns the season to the next one.

Player B's turn, reveals an event.

Player C's Turn, just plays their turn.

Player A's Turn, Initiative marker goes to player C. Turns the season to next season.

Player B's Turn, just plays their turn.

Player C's Turn, reveals Event Card.

Player A's Turn, Initiative marker passes to Player A. Turns season wheel to next season, Reveals event card.

So, there will be two rounds where the event will come out back to back with players C and A.

is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Le Mesurier
msg tools
Hi Tim,

Yeah, that's correct. I imagine some people will play it differently (with the first player also revealing the first Event), but the way you described it is correct.

I hope your next game goes well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Le Mesurier
msg tools
Hey Michael, sorry to hear that! I've always found the first game to be a slow one. But once people get through the first game it speeds up quite a lot.

I hope you can get some more games in and enjoy them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.