GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Castellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Line of defence - Intro level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil C
msg tools
In the manual it states that "with the exception of the 6 tiles that make up your foundation, you may not place a tile adjacent to another tile that depicts the same shape"

My question is if you had 4 chameleons arranged in a horizontal row, where 2 adjacent chameleons were both circles, would this still be classed as a 'line of defense' thereby satisfying the exam 1 ordeal?

Thanks,

Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if I may reword you question just to make sure I understood it:

If my foundation is a row of 6 chameleons (of whatever shape), do four of them still count as a line of defence?

The answer to that question would be no. Any structure (line of defence, tower, bastion) must be four of the same character (shape doesn't matter) - if any additional character of the same colour is touching them, it is no longer classed as that structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil C
msg tools
Hi Iain!

I didn't mean that. I meant that, let's say 4 chameleons were in a row in the bottom level but that those 4 included the same shapes side by side, would that still be a 'line of defense'? Anywhere other than the base of the castle this would break the rules regarding tile placement and therefore not be a line of defence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I understand.

Yes they would count in that case. The rules you refer to are literally at the point of placing tiles - once the tiles are placed it doesn't matter which shape type is next to which (except for playing the NEXT tile!).

In fact in the intermediate and advanced games, there are powers and abilities which allow you to directly circumvent those placement rules.

And just to correct your last statement: four of the same character is a row is always a line of defence, regardless of the shapes which make it up. (it's just that in the intro game its impossible for that situation to arise).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil C
msg tools
Thanks Iain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
Ah I understand.

Yes they would count in that case. The rules you refer to are literally at the point of placing tiles - once the tiles are placed it doesn't matter which shape type is next to which (except for playing the NEXT tile!).

In fact in the intermediate and advanced games, there are powers and abilities which allow you to directly circumvent those placement rules.

And just to correct your last statement: four of the same character is a row is always a line of defence, regardless of the shapes which make it up. (it's just that in the intro game its impossible for that situation to arise).

(The foundation row *can* have four identical shape/color in a "Line of Defense", which was the question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Does this mean if I'm still forming my foundation, the shape restrictions don't apply?
For example, I only have one tile down right now. It's a triangle. I draw another tile, which is also a triangle. I can still place that beside the existing tile (but not above it.) Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chsy wrote:
Does this mean if I'm still forming my foundation, the shape restrictions don't apply?
For example, I only have one tile down right now. It's a triangle. I draw another tile, which is also a triangle. I can still place that beside the existing tile (but not above it.) Is this correct?

They don't apply across the bottom row correct. They still apply 'upwards'. If part of your foundation was removed, you could rebuild the foundation ignoring the shape restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks Iain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.