Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
I see the reviews mounting up so I will be brief.
I delayed buying this for a while as I was put of by the production values.
Thin cards,badly moulded space ships and a gimmicky board (T I E daughter shaped.)at least in the standard UK edition so I thought 35 starlings was a bit rich.
In the sales I picked this up for £14.00 and I'm glad I did.
It is i fact a nice little dice chucker with some hidden facets.
In short each player plays three pre selected cards from a hand of six each round.
Each card has symbols the allow you to move a certain unit type or take a particular action. So you alternate playing cards for 3 rounds then draw another three to add to you existing three and start again.

The rebels must lower the shield on endor and succesfuly attack and destroy the Death Star whilst the empire must decimate the rebel fleet so they cannot achieve this. This is done by moving groups of fighters then attacking those adjacent via simple dice rolls. This itself is simple fun but alongside this are some mini games going on.
We have the lights saver duel between Luke and darth vader and the rebels trying to shut down the shield so what rebels are left on the main map can attack the Death Star.

Adding to this the millenium falcon and the imperial executor class destroyer,the rebel fleet and the Death Star and there are quite a few tactics involved which makes this very fun.

In a nut shell the mini games grant you extra cards to draw from giving you more optios. There are a few more simple game mechanics but that's it.
I like this game a lot and it play in -1H so all good.
I would say this is the queens gambit (becoming a grail game) light but you may never have heard of that but look it up if it interests you.
Worth 14 all day long despite lousy components but a stretch at 35.00.

Interesting to see this happen asso often components are top notch and the game is rubbish like some of the latest from GW.(not all just some).
I had thought about painting this set up to make it look nicer but they do say you can't polish a turd.

Great game bad bits 7/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bits in the Black Edition are quite nice. I'm not a big Risk person, but I've enjoyed my plays of this enough to put it on my wishlist. It has some fun elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
given this is a mass market game with an un-credited designer, it's AWESOME. Yes, cheap bits but it wasn't meant to be a hobby board game and neither was Risk Europe but both are great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame it was mass market then as the mechanics in my opinion are very good.
A little more talc over the production could have heled this a lot.
Hasbro do not have the excuse of bring a small designer so larger over heads.
They are massive and I feel should have done the black edition upgrade on this for 35.00 uk. Probably closer to 50 here.
Also I feel the board is a little small and makes fitting lots of ships on a little fiddly
I will have to check risk europe also THX for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Van Dam
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
The bits in the Black Edition are quite nice. I'm not a big Risk person, but I've enjoyed my plays of this enough to put it on my wishlist. It has some fun elements.

are the cards better quailty in the black edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the UK they're thicker and have rounded edges, whereas the cheap edition has square, pointy edges.

I've seen photos from the US cheap edition where they had rounded edges, so I don't know if the same is true over there in terms of thickness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.