5 Posts

Kingdomino» Forums » General

Subject: Kingdomino vs Karuba rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Hi, i liked Karuba a lot, how is this compared to it?Also i might play it with 2 and 3p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both tile laying, but are different. I feel Kingdomino has "more" player interaction and plays quicker, but I like both games.

Karuba
Overview: Bingo game. Tiles can be played on your personal board or discarded to move an explorer.
Getting points: Moving an explorer to a temple gets an artifact (points) and picking up gems.
Player interaction: racing to get bigger artifacts first (for more points).
Game end: if someone gets all four or all tiles are played.

Kingdomino
Overview: You are laying tiles in a personal tableau, matching at least one side of the new tile to an adjacent tile. Tiles must fit within any restricted 5x5 area. You must play your tiles if possible.
Getting points: Points are scored based on how many patches of a land type * how many crown icons are in each group.
Player interaction: Pseudo draft[?] that also determines order for next round of tile draft.
Game end: After 12 tile placements (potentially your 5x5 tableau could be completely filled)

I really enjoyed two-player Kingdomino; each round you "draft" two tiles each. This makes the game even faster and creates some interesting choices that don't come up in a 3 or 4-player game due to the double placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Karuba once since I got Kingdomino. And whenever I get the urge to play Karuba I think about how I'm going to have to organize all the tiles and set up the game before I can play. Then I think about how Kingdomino is "shuffle and go".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdomino with 2p is my favorite so far. They all are great. The 'Bingo' of Karuba is very different, and slower by mechanics than the 'Drafting/Variable Turn Order' of Kingdomino.

Karuba has more strategy. But like above, Kingdomino killed most other tile-laying for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
And whenever I get the urge to play Karuba I think about how I'm going to have to organize all the tiles and set up the game before I can play.

This. The setup in Karuba takes ages.

I like them both but I prefer Kingdomino. I feel that the mechanic of tile drafting is so much better than tile bingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.